Bombers' Pierce Named Gibson's Finest Player of the Week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

Well done Buck. Two games in and he is looking very impressive.

I got a kick out of this comment on TSN:
"Good thing BC released Buck & kept Printers, they might have had an injured QB by now..."

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=327429
TORONTO -- Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback Buck Pierce is the CFL's offensive player of the week after throwing for 366 yards and three touchdowns in a losing cause.

Saskatchewan defensive end Brent Hawkins earned defensive player of the week honours, Toronto kick returner Chad Owens won the special teams prize and Montreal safety Etienne Boulay is the top Canadian.

Pierce, a unanimous selection, completed 25-of-35 passes in a 36-34 loss to Toronto and added 103 rushing yards that included a 43-yard touchdown run.

Hawkins, also a unanimous selection, had two sacks and forced a fumble, which he returned 47 yards for a touchdown, in Saskatchewan's 37-18 win at B.C.

Owens returned a missed field goal 117 yards for the go-ahead touchdown early in the fourth quarter versus Winnipeg and amassed 272 total return yards. Hamilton's Marcus Thigpen was a finalist.

Boulay led the Alouettes with a career-high eight tackles and added an interception in a 33-23 victory at Edmonton. Calgary receiver Arjei Franklin was also considered for the award
Tighthead
Legend

I'm surprised that you can dig your team a big hole with two early turnovers and still get player of the week in a losing effort.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Pierce played very well so I'm not surprised he received that award. He set a Bomber QB rushing record in consecutive weeks that had stood since 1993 and Matt Dunigan.

Not that I want or expect him to do that often, but it's nice that he has that skill. His passing efficiency rating has been outstanding so far this season.
mightybuck
Legend

I'm surprised that you can dig your team a big hole with two early turnovers and still get player of the week in a losing effort
LOL

A post I would expect from tighthead

6 points off two turnovers is hardly a 'big hole'

but 366 yards - 3tds 103 yards rushing and a TD is another thing..and that would be in 3qts of play - great comeback after a bad first qt
Last edited by mightybuck on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Tighthead
Legend

mightybuck wrote:
I'm surprised that you can dig your team a big hole with two early turnovers and still get player of the week in a losing effort
LOL

I post I would expect from tighthead

6 points off two turnovers is hardly a 'big hole'

but 366 yards - 3tds 103 yards rushing and a TD is another thing..and that would be in 3qts of play - great comeback after a bad first qt
Do you expect if from me because I point out how Buck had more picks than TDs last year? I guess that makes me an outcast on this board.

Do you think there is an opportunity cost in turnovers, or do you only look at the 6 points?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Pierce wasn't responsible for losing last week. That fault lies clearly on the ST's. Missing the FG is bad enough. Letting the Argos return it 117 yards for a TD is a 10 point swing.

Heads have rolled in Winnipeg 2 weeks in a row as new players are added back onto the roster for ST's. Inglis, Doggett and now Howell.

IMHO, I think the ST coach, should be updating his resume if we give up our 4th long return for a TD on Friday.
Gary
Starter

Pretty rare that a losing QB wins offensive player of the week...not much to choose from this week, though...one other rusher barely over 100 yards...only one other QB over 350 yards passing...don't minimize the turnovers, though...they counted for 6 points in a 2 point loss, so he has to shoulder at least some of the blame for the loss...if the Lions hadn't been embarrassed like they were, Geroy's performance might have gotten some votes...but, when you're better than doubled, you shouldn't be counting on any awards...

Good for Buck...looks like he's in a system that suits his strengths and might keep him healthy...not like our OC, JC the QB-killer
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not sure of the claim that players in a losing cause don't win awards. That is definitely not true. In Buck's case it was 6 points due to his plays and in the 2nd Q he brought his team firing back to get the score back. Just how they came back with his guiding hand should have fired their entire team up and demoralized the Argos but the STs kept allowing the Argos to stay in and Cleo Lemon just had to protect the ball and not much more. Serna missing a 45 yarder did far more damage than a Buck fumble and INT.

The ST coach comment is one I'd agree with. He should be gone. The personnel on kick coverage he has are shocking. The Lions always get a man or several downfield fast so the kick rarely outdistances the capability of the coverage.

I think BC fans should be a bit concerned as to why Buck is putting up huge numbers and BC QBs cannot. Is it the QBs or the systems and predictability?
They should also be fairly clear by now that Buck was playing hurt last year and as he didn't all of a sudden go from good to mediocre and now ripping apart defenses because of eating Flutie Flakes.

This move for Buck in retrospect looks to be the best he could have made as he is getting better protection and LaPolice doesn't expose his QBs to unnecessary risks.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
mightybuck
Legend

Do you expect it from me because I point out how Buck had more picks than TDs last year? I guess that makes me an outcast on this board
No

simply because you and a couple of others would be the first to point out a fault and the last to compliment success on Bucks part
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Tighthead
Legend

mightybuck wrote:
Do you expect it from me because I point out how Buck had more picks than TDs last year? I guess that makes me an outcast on this board
No

simply because you and a couple of others would be the first to point out a fault and the last to compliment success on Bucks part
That's fine.

How often do you post where it doesn't relate to Buck?

How often have you been critical of him?
Last edited by Tighthead on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I still think Buck has taken some shots this season that would have drawn a flag for Burris/Ray. I really like his runs so far.

No offence Mightybuck, I'll root for Buck until he retires EXCEPT when he's playing against the Lions. He looked awesome the first preseason game I saw him. I'm glad he's doing well to start off his new role. Dunnigan is obviously quite impressed with him too!
Gary
Starter

@ Toppy Vann

I didn't claim that "players in a losing cause don't win awards." I claimed that it's pretty rare for a QB to be named player of the week for a game they lost. It happened once in 08 and once in 09. Further, in 08, it was Kerry Joseph of the Argo's on the last weekend of the season, when a lot of teams didn't keep their starters in for the entire game.

You wrote:
"This move for Buck in retrospect looks to be the best he could have made as he is getting better protection and LaPolice doesn't expose his QBs to unnecessary risks."
I completely agree...Jaques Chapdelaine and Dan Dorazio should be getting some recognition as QB-killers...just look at all the injuries to our QB's since they started running the offense in '05. We keep seeing the same blind devotion to the intermediate passing game, to the near exclusion of just about any other type of play...makes life very difficult for the QB's...how many other teams have a former receiver calling the plays, anyway?
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

awesome game buck!!! Fully deserved player of the week!

hey mightbuck, hard to believe people are still ignorant even when he wins POW.

As i told you before , you shouldnt read the posts of people who are clueless about football.
move on to a bombers site where they appreciate everything he does to try and win.

Why do lions QBs always get hurt? because 5 guys cant block 7. Pretty simple, watch the tape jacques. O-line taking more abuse then it should unless you explain how they can block 6 or 7 with 5 and no fullback to help.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sports & stuff----ric wrote:awesome game buck!!! Fully deserved player of the week!

As i told you before , you shouldnt read the posts of people who are clueless about football.
move on to a bombers site where they appreciate everything he does to try and win.

Why do lions QBs always get hurt? because 5 guys cant block 7. Pretty simple, watch the tape jacques. O-line taking more abuse then it should unless you explain how they can block 6 or 7 with 5 and no fullback to help.
well if 7 guys are rushing with only 5 blocking, then there has to be an open reciever. If the QB does a better job of finding that guy faster, pretty soon, there will not be 7 guys rushing.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
sports & stuff----ric wrote:awesome game buck!!! Fully deserved player of the week!

well if 7 guys are rushing with only 5 blocking, then there has to be an open reciever. If the QB does a better job of finding that guy faster, pretty soon, there will not be 7 guys rushing.
When your QB has only about 1 second before he has to run for his life, which receiver will have had time to run his route and be open?..........You're forgetting who's calling the plays.
Lloyd