Glatt and Jimenez Released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jimenez is a surprise cut. But the team is fairly deep in non-import O Line personnel.

Looking at the performance of the team the last couple of years, the often porous defence, considering the personnel changes, the promotion of Jacques Chapdelaine to offensive coordinator, et cetera ...

What is the feeling out there in Lion Country? Do the fans still have confidence in the direction of the team? I'm having some doubts.

The decision-making and management of personnel seems shaky. The schemes seem old and tired. The coaching staff will be much pretty much the same. Same old, same old.

I will be pleasantly surprised if the performance of the team does not backslide a bit more this year.
ik17
Rookie

Hello James Yurichuk
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Didn't see the Jimenez move coming but perhaps a reflection of upcoming due bonuses and LU hinted a few weeks ago the Lions were considering playing one less import on the o-line. Heerspink is likely a much cheaper option. Look for Sherko shift to tackle next season or even giving Sorensen a chance at his natural position.

Thanks Javy and Jason for some terrific years as BC Lions.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Didn't see the Jimenez move coming but perhaps a reflection of upcoming due bonuses and LU hinted a few weeks ago the Lions were considering playing one less import on the o-line. Heerspink is likely a much cheaper option. Look for Sherko shift to tackle next season or even giving Sorensen a chance at his natural position.

Thanks Javy and Jason for some terrific years as BC Lions.
:whs: It's roster bonus time, when tough decisions have to be made for economic reasons. Glatt was too expensive for a backup role. Jimenez is likely a victim of the ratio as well as the budget. They're both good players. I expect them to land on their feet and make solid contributions somewhere in the league.
Lion King
Rookie

Like everyone has already posted, this comes down to contracts. Glatt could not be paid what he was for being a back up and unfortunately, he had played himself to that position.

On the question about, whether I am worried about the direction on the Lions. The OC position being filled again by the same person is a concern, as we were at times very predictable. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of months personnel wise.
Big Time
Champion

I think Javy could have been effective in the right scheme, however not as a full time MLB. The guy just flat out could not stop the run. If the Lions have no intention of playing a scheme that suits his abilities, then they are doing the right thing. The Jimenez release is a surprise but I don't know the details of his roster bonus. I think the Lions should be able to upgrade both those positions without a significant drop off in result.

As for the direction of the Lions, until they change OC, I will always be concerned. It would be insane to expect a different result on offense as long as JC is calling the shots. You can only hope that Casey can work his magic (i.e. ignore the play as called and improvise enough to turn something out of nothing). Truthfully, their biggest problem by far last year was on defense so at least they are forcing themselves into personnel changes.
ik17
Rookie

I'm not concerned about the offense, I think that making Chapedalaine Co-Ordinator and Quarterbacks coach shows that they're letting Casey take the reins and improvise a bit... and they should. You can't be wildly unpredictable with your schemes otherwise you get into trouble. But if you have a QB that can improvise a bit... it's the purrfect mix.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Glatt showed a lot of class upon his release:
“I would like to thank the BC Lions Football Club and its fans for the amazing opportunity to live out a dream for the past seven years. I have met so many incredible people along the way and have built relationships that will last a lifetime, and for that I am truly grateful,” said Glatt.
Team statement

Lowell Ullrich says Glatt asked for his release but the Jimenez move was likely based on the size of hius contract.
The Fifth Quarter blog
Tighthead
Legend

Where is Wally going to spend all the money he is saving? More quarterbacks?

Jiminez was still performing.

I'm getting tired of Wally.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

NW's Jim Mullin had Wally on the noon hour sports. Sounds like there is an understanding between him and Javy that if he can't get a starting spot with another CFL team then the door is open to return to the Lions.

It's going to be really interesting to see how scheme related Glatt's apparent demise of play was if he is given that stater's opportunity elsewhere. At his age, I can't see him being unemployed for long.

As for Jimenez, Wally suggested there were philosophical differences that weren't about to change (???) in addition to not being dominant enough to justify his salary.
ik17
Rookie

Tighthead wrote:Where is Wally going to spend all the money he is saving? More quarterbacks?

It looks like we're going for an import LB core (aside from Yurichuk)... you need cash to make that happen. Sherko probably slides over to tackle and Sorensen takes his spot at Guard.

Wait until the roster's set before you criticize! It's only January! There's a plan in place, these are jsut the first few moves.
Tighthead
Legend

ik17 wrote:
Tighthead wrote:Where is Wally going to spend all the money he is saving? More quarterbacks?

It looks like we're going for an import LB core (aside from Yurichuk)... you need cash to make that happen. Sherko probably slides over to tackle and Sorensen takes his spot at Guard.

Wait until the roster's set before you criticize! It's only January! There's a plan in place, these are jsut the first few moves.
I reviewed Wally's roster management at the end of last season and found it lacking. 4 QBs, two kickers, two top 5 draft picks abandoned, a bizarre reversal on Stith, etc, etc. Wally's main job int eh offseason seems to be cutting guys he thought were great and overpaid for.
ik17
Rookie

Tighthead wrote:
ik17 wrote:

I reviewed Wally's roster management at the end of last season and found it lacking. 4 QBs, two kickers, two top 5 draft picks abandoned, a bizarre reversal on Stith, etc, etc. Wally's main job int eh offseason seems to be cutting guys he thought were great and overpaid for.
You reveiewed his roster management? Did you also interview to be the GM in Winnipeg/Saskatchewan/Toronto?

Leave it to the experts... we JUST started making moves and you're already criticizing. Let the EXPERTS execute their plan, if it doesn't look good at the end of traning camp... speak up then. It's way too soon to say something already.