Pierce's injury?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Did he separate his shoulder? I don't buy the bruised shoulder comment during the game broadcast . The way his arm was put in a sling and the amount of pain suggests more than a bruise.

Is Jackson back next week?
Don Miller
Legend

The Province is reporting yet another separation on his throwing arm. This might be the end for Buck. I would like to see CP in the game against Sask. His ability to scramble and throw the long ball should help us spread the sask defense. THey will for sure line up seven or so on the line if Travis Lulay is in the game.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A bit of prophesy? From just after the last Rider game. I don't wish the guy any ill-will but his Lumsden like pension for injury makes him too risky to be a starter. With all the QB's waiting in the wings, I'm can't see a reason why he will be with the team next year. With shoulders, and just like concussions, the more of them you have the more more likely they are to occur again. He has had both with unnerving frequency and in all likelihood, should he continue his career, it will be more of the same. His body is a bomb and it has unfortunately gone off again. It isn't an indictment of his character in the slightest but many have had their careers cut short because of the limitations their bodies have put on them, (read Matt Dunnigan, Dave Dickenson, Matt Dominguez, and the list goes on!). The saddest part of all was that it didn't even look like that bad a hit yesterday.

Sir Purrcival wrote: I am delighted for Buck. He is a great guy. No one has ever questioned his heart but unfortunately it isn't his smarts or talent which is really at issue here, it is his durability. He showed, this last game, some of that but he is still wandering around on the edge. He will need to go the rest of the season without major injury or his tenure here could still be limited. He took some hellacious hits in this last game and we could just as easily be talking about how fragile he is as how much toughness he showed. His Oline needs to better, he needs to be quicker on his release when his first option is gone and when he runs, he needs to slide. Nevertheless a great game by him and full value to him for sticking in there.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Sad but true. I said last week that I would be surprised if he finished the season standing. His return was shorter than I thought but predictable.

Too bad but I think he's done.
Bobbyp
Champion

If JJ cant come back to start this week I would like to see Lulay get a fair shot at starting. What happens if they go to CP and he craps out. I like the way Lulay likes to run that is such a big weapon with the wide field.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
Spud387
Champion

I hope it isn't that serious and BP will be back, but ya... arm in the sling looks like a separation. The question is what degree of separation was it?

If BP or JJ cannot go, Lulay should get the start. There are some of you here that seem to thump the CP card every chance you get. CP is 4th on the depth chart, and now currently the backup if BP is injured. CP should NOT play unless Lulay really struggles.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We might never see a more courageous quarterback than Buck Pierce.

His formative coaches in high school and college must have wanted him to play with reckless abandon concerning his health. He does not use the Hook Slide. He does not step out of bounds without throwing a shoulder into a would-be tackler. He goes hard for the first down rather than protecting himself. He has not thrown the ball out of bounds until recently when no receiver is open.

He has metal in his ankle(s). Pain in his ribs. A chronic weakness in his shoulder. A history of concussions.

Full marks and more for courage. But it has cost him greatly in terms of his physical health.

Like all fans, I hope for a full recovery by Buck. He had two terrific games in a row prior to the Winnipeg game. Indeed, without those 2 performances, the Lions' season would have been greatly at risk.
mightybuck
Legend

We might never see a more courageous quarterback than Buck Pierce
Thanks WCJ - we are all kind of numb around here today.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
mightybuck
Legend

His formative coaches in high school and college must have wanted him to play with reckless abandon concerning his health. He does not use the Hook Slide
New Mexico State ran the option alot.......

Big Time
Champion

MB, any word on his condition? Is his season done?

It kills me that every time he looks like he's on the verge of solidifying his position as a starter, something like this happens. He's a gamer to be sure, but it seems if he didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all. Hope he recovers quickly.
mightybuck
Legend

Hope you understand but we will let Wally make those announcements

Rammer
Team Captain

mightybuck wrote:Hope you understand but we will let Wally make those announcements
Buono said he has not yet considered calling a halt to Pierce's season in order to let him mend, though his problems are recurring in nature. Buono said Pierce has a shoulder separation that will never fully heal; the report of the medical staff to the coach Monday was that he likely has a scar tissue tear, but was sent for another MRI just in case.
It's easy to think in hindsight, but every hit to Pierce's shou
Sounds like BP could return, at least could return and have similar results at the risk of his shoulder once again. Of course this is the Lions PR approach, much like the JJ lines we have been fed. More of a concern is that Lulay has a tender shoulder as well after the game against the Bombers, it almost seems as if destiny is forcing the Lions hands to accept Casey Printers as the starter.

Tough to hear/see BP Steve, mind over matter doesn't always end the way one would like. It was nice to see BP make that jump to starting QB, hope that he returns on his terms soon.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I've been a season ticket holder for over 30 years and have seen my share of quarterbacks come and go. Buck's performance against Saskatchewan 2 weeks ago was the gutiest I have ever seen. With the possible exception of Joe Kapp, Pierce is the toughest SOB to play quarterback for the Lions. Bar none. I wish him well in his recovery and look forward to his return whether it be this or next year.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:We might never see a more courageous quarterback than Buck Pierce.

His formative coaches in high school and college must have wanted him to play with reckless abandon concerning his health. He does not use the Hook Slide. He does not step out of bounds without throwing a shoulder into a would-be tackler. He goes hard for the first down rather than protecting himself. He has not thrown the ball out of bounds until recently when no receiver is open.

He has metal in his ankle(s). Pain in his ribs. A chronic weakness in his shoulder. A history of concussions.

Full marks and more for courage. But is has cost him greatly in terms of his physical health.

Like all fans, I hope for a full recovery by Buck. He had two terrific games in a row prior to the Winnipeg game. Indeed, without those 2 performances, the Lions' season would have been greatly at risk.
His courage has never been questioned. His skill is good and at times has been great. None of that does any good if you can't keep upright.

This was his 2nd shoulder issue inside of two years. It's hard to keep track. 5 concussions in less than two years and a few other injuries.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is highly speculative but...I wonder if Buck has some unhealed upper body issues - either bone or tissue - and if this is why he is getting re-injured? It is not because he can't take a hit as nothing in his past suggests that he has had any unusual pattern or frequency of injury and everyone has seen him take some huge hits with no injury when they don't involve cheap head shots or landing on that shoulder.

If he is done for any length of time, I do think he needs to take some time to revisit his style of play and eliminate the hits at all costs. He is a skilled QB who doesn't need to run because he can't read a defence or pick an open target. He just needs to get a better and safer exit strategy when it comes to the end of a run. He needs to be focused on staying healthy over the longer term over success on single plays. Few games are won or lost on a single play so no one player needs to be the one to risk his body on a single play - especially a QB.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy