5 Quarterbacks for Thanksgiving ... Lowell Ullrich's blog

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jarious Jackson was also reported to be on the mend by the Lions before the Edmonton game, which is probably the signal for another round of quarterbacking stories in the upcoming week.

Buono said after the Edmonton game he will have no problem carrying five quarterbacks. One or two may have to be stashed on an injured list, but the coach indicated nobody was going back on the practice roster where they would be subject to claim by another club. Chew on that with your turkey during the holiday weekend.

... excerpt from the blog by Lowell Ullrich

http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... liday.aspx
An abundance of quarterbacks for Thanksgiving. Very reassuring. Comfortable.

Lots of talent. Enough depth that health is not a worry.

Some frustration farther down on the depth chart, but Buono does not mind that. It builds determination. Or, alternatively, it weeds out those without enough determination.

Great to see Buck play so well in his last 2 games. Like the gunsllinger we saw when he burst onto the scene. Protects the ball, but takes the shots downfield too. Still scrambles well. I don't see much point in harping on what he has to do to stay healthy. He will play the way he has to play. Que sera, sera. Hope for the best.

Jarious is due back from the injury list soon. Jarious is a Helluva Plan B. Helluva Plan A at times too.

Once Jarious is back, will it be Travis or Casey for 3rd QB suiting up for games? Hard to say. I expect Casey would not sulk if he is back on the PR. His time is really next year, from TC on. But Wally may decide to speed his time up, and keep him on the 42 man squad.

Patience needed by Travis. More patience needed by Zac. These good young QBs will get their chance if they hang in there.

An abundance of QBs for Thanksgiving, but necessary with our injury situation this year.
Blitz
Team Captain

When you look at the lack of quality in the backup quarterback position around the league our Leos have assets at this position that can be traded for potential draft choices etc.

Wally did a great job of getting Printers to sign a contract for low dollars. That allows us to have Pierce, Jackson, and Printers next season if Wally chooses to go that way or he could decide to keep only two of them, trade one, and keep either Lulay or Champion. If he decided to keep Pierce, Jackson, and Printers he could always try to get something for either Lulay or Champion.

It's a good position to be in. Buck has turned things around, Jarious Jackson had Wally's confidence prior to his injury, and Printers has looked impressive at practices and Wally still thinks he has the magic. We'll have depth as well as choices going into the playoffs whereas most CFL teams, without their starting quarterback, are in huge trouble.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

I still would like to see what Lulay and Champion can do yet with some meaninful game time . But it seems less likely now to see that anytime soon . When Lulay tossed that TD pass he did llok sharp and poised for that one , although it was only one play . But it makes want to see more . And of course most of us are curious to see what Printers can do with some time to get up to speed .
pennw
Legend

Hunt and Pjack should be back , but unfortunately Arceneaux broke a bone in his finger last week and may be gone for a bit .
On the injury front the Riders lost Dressler to a broken leg , sounds like he's gone for the season .That may put a damper on the Riders run to the play-offs and they got Stamps next .
pdxlion
Rookie

Blitz wrote:When you look at the lack of quality in the backup quarterback position around the league our Leos have assets at this position that can be traded for potential draft choices etc.

Wally did a great job of getting Printers to sign a contract for low dollars. That allows us to have Pierce, Jackson, and Printers next season if Wally chooses to go that way or he could decide to keep only two of them, trade one, and keep either Lulay or Champion. If he decided to keep Pierce, Jackson, and Printers he could always try to get something for either Lulay or Champion.

It's a good position to be in. Buck has turned things around, Jarious Jackson had Wally's confidence prior to his injury, and Printers has looked impressive at practices and Wally still thinks he has the magic. We'll have depth as well as choices going into the playoffs whereas most CFL teams, without their starting quarterback, are in huge trouble.
Lulay has more trade value than printers. Anyone could have had printers before this week if they wanted - no one did. Hopefully we cut printers, trade JJ, and keep the remainder. :yahoo:
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Pierce has stepped up his play the past couple of games but still seems to run out of steam in the second half, which may be injury related.

Jarious was just starting to take over and seem indestructible when he got hurt. Is he getting another chance when he heals?

Lulay seems to me to be another Pierce, for the good and the bad. Can we afford the time to bring him along?

Champion has now been here most of two seasons and we've still barely seen anything of him. Is he durable or is he injury prone? If I were him, I'd be wanting to go elsewhere just for a chance to get on the field once in a while. I can't see him being the future of the team, but I fear we may never know what we missed (or not).

If Casey gets his game back, and if his attitude readjustment is for real, there's no way they can keep (and pay) him as well as Buck and Jarious, never mind the other two. If not, he's outta here. If yes, Jarious is the older guy and most likely to be traded. If Buck can stay healthy (a big if) he can continue to lead this team for years to come with Casey as backup and Lulay given a couple of years to develop as heir apparent.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote: 1. Buck/Jarious/Printers
2. Buck/Jarious/Lulay
3. Buck/Printers/Lulay
4. Jarious/Printers/Lulay
Well, we might as well play the guessing game.

If Buck stays healthy and wins he is #1 now and for the future.

Otherwise a healthy Jarious moves back under centre.

Next option is Travis, with a short hook. Casey after that, and then Zac.

Of the above numbered options, for next year, I would guess it will be 3 or 4, but if Casey re-captures the magic, he moves up to #1. I don't think the odds favour both Buck and Jarious returning. And I think Zac might have his CFL dreams stay alive next year, with the Lions (#4 QB) or another team.

Pro sports also being pro business, there is another possibility: Casey shoots lights out next year in TC. He becomes #1, and he is backed up by younger guys.

Things are going to have to play themselves out. I don't really have any preference, just that the players get to show their best, and Wally gets to decide from a strong hand.
Spud387
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:1. Buck/Jarious/Printers (release Lulay, I doubt he'd want to stay on the inactive list or Practice squad)
2. Buck/Jarious/Lulay (release Printers, status quo)
3. Buck/Printers/Lulay (trade Jarious, leaves us with 3 QB's in their 20's)
4. Jarious/Printers/Lulay (trade Buck, Jarious and Casey could reverse roles, Lulay sees some hope)
5. Printers/Lulay/Champion (stock our competitors with two good QB's and roll the dice)

The only workable scenario I see Printers seizing the starter's role is option No. 4, with Jarious backing up...not with two youngsters. If the Lions got rid of both Buck and Jarious if Printers shined, the team would move from a position of QB strength to one of potential weakness and question marks. Plus we are supplying our competitors with two good QB's who could be starting against us in the playoffs.

Trading Jarious, leaves Buck and Casey in the starter's battle. Those two QB's are just about the same age, with Lulay being the 3rd stringer behind two guys in their 20's. He might think he'll have "a touch of gray" before he ever see's the field. This does not seem like a good fit to me.
I laughed when reading just because of how horribly south this team could go if those 3 didn't pan out and Buck/Jarious at least played as they have been.
Blitz
Team Captain

I really think Printers will be staying with our Leos. If Wally can't keep all three of Buck, Jarious, Printers (which is the best scenario) or thinks it wouldn't work out then I think he'll trade/drop Buck or Jarious. If I was guessing it would be Buck, based upon his injuries/salary over Jarious. Jarious' age is a factor in the decision but I believe Jarious would be more content at #2 than Buck and costs less.

My best guess is Printers/Jackson/Lulay if we can't keep all threee experienced quarterbacks or Wally chooses not to. Buck will have to play excellent the rest of the season and stay healthy in order to retain his status as our #1. Based upon the last two games...he's making it more difficult to be unseated.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

I think we need to see these guys play before being able to come to conclusions like the ones being posted here . Printers at this point is an unknown quantity since coming back here . Yes he had a good season 5 years ago , but not so good last year . To try and speculate how he ranks with our other QBs really is based on what he did far too long ago and that's no longer relevant . Of course WB see's him at practise but it's still not the same as performing in a game . And of course we need to see what our other two back-ups are capable of in a game also .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:I think we need to see these guys play before being able to come to conclusions like the ones being posted here . Printers at this point is an unknown quantity since coming back here . Yes he had a good season 5 years ago , but not so good last year . To try and speculate how he ranks with our other QBs really is based on what he did far too long ago and that's no longer relevant . Of course WB see's him at practise but it's still not the same as performing in a game . And of course we need to see what our other two back-ups are capable of in a game also .
I share your viewpoint on speculation being premature but I don't want to see Lulay, Champion and Printers play at all this season unless it's in a cleanup situation. I'd be happy if Buck and JJ were both healthy for the rest of the season and split most of the reps.
pennw
Legend

If Buck continued to keep up the level of play he's shown the last two games for the remainder of the season , I could accept that .
bclions16
Champion

Blitz wrote:I really think Printers will be staying with our Leos. If Wally can't keep all three of Buck, Jarious, Printers (which is the best scenario) or thinks it wouldn't work out then I think he'll trade/drop Buck or Jarious. If I was guessing it would be Buck, based upon his injuries/salary over Jarious. Jarious' age is a factor in the decision but I believe Jarious would be more content at #2 than Buck and costs less.

My best guess is Printers/Jackson/Lulay if we can't keep all threee experienced quarterbacks or Wally chooses not to. Buck will have to play excellent the rest of the season and stay healthy in order to retain his status as our #1. Based upon the last two games...he's making it more difficult to be unseated.
Buck, Jarious, Printers might be the most experienced group of the five, but in no way is the best scenario. Buck wants to be the starter badly, and by next year so will Casey. Let's not assume JJ is happy to be a backup just because he is such a pro and keeps quiet on such matters (he knows he deserves a shot with guys like Bishop playing). That scenario doesn't account for role, pecking order and development, which are desirable for a group of QBs to work well together. So yes, one of the veterans is likely to go.

The other problem here is that you're assuming CP plays well enough to be the starter, and that does go against the evidence of the past few years. Based on performance, I would say it's unlikely CP regains top form (unlikely but still very possible). That said, I do suspect it will truly be an open audition for the job in training camp.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████