Major announcement from David Braley this week?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Buried at the back of section G12 of yesterday's Vancouver Sun was Greg Douglas's always interesting "Dr. Sport" column. This one especially so....

SCENE & HEARD: With the B.C. Lions down roughly 37,500 in attendance this season and not knowing where they will call home next year, owner David Braley refues to flinch. "When you are dealing with uncertainties it leads to speculation," he says. "Speculation is never healthy."

Braley willingly dives into the attendance matter with a non-speculative, positive stance.

"We're down roughly 2,000 in season ticket sales," he says, "but revenues from our new premier club seats have helped balance things out. I've studied the numbers and would venture to say our overall ticket sales revenues are off by no more than 10 per cent. Considering the economy and the team's slow start to the season, I see no cause for alarm."

As for the politically-infested BC Place Stadium issue, Braley is less talkative. There have been published reports that the B.C. Pavilion Corp. (PavCo) and the provincial government are hedging on their original promise to complete construction of roof repairs at BC Place Stadium in time for the Lions' 2010 CFL season. Through his league connections, Braley is aware that PavCo has quietly suggested to commissioner Mark Cohon that a temporary facility in Vancouver might have to come into play next season, perhaps the old location of Empire Stadium.

"I don't have an answer to the question about next year," Braley says. "But I do know that within the next month or so we are going to have to inform our early-bird season ticket subscribers where we'll be playing next year. That's a given."

Hamilton-based Braley will be in town next week for the Lions home game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He says he will be dropping a major announcement on the predators from the media Wednesday morning. He suggests that no one speculates because, as his theory goes, "speculation is never healthy."

Any thoughts as to what this could be? Could he possibly be stepping up as the "private partner" sought by the Liberal government to get the retractable roof completed?

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I would think it is roof-related. Olympics coming up. Stadium issues next year. Season tickets management coming up.

When it is announced as it was, with the season going as it has, one might suspect it was that Wally would be moving up to President and GM. But no, it would seem to be about the roof and home games.
LFITQ
Team Captain

It's got to be something about the stadium simply because of early bird season ticket purchases.

Either that or it is an announcement about the President's position or maybe some talk about the 2011 Grey Cup in Vancouver.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote: Either that or it is an announcement about the President's position or maybe some talk about the 2011 Grey Cup in Vancouver.
:thup:
zark
Champion

Can't we wait without speculating? I can.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
SammyGreene
Team Captain

LU had more about this in today's Province:
Staffers were unaware of any imminent developments, but Buono and vice-president George Chayka met Saturday behind closed doors after a published report indicated owner David Braley would make a major announcement this week. Several issues concerning the club have been up in the air for months, not the least of which has been a home for the club to play the 2010 season other than B.C. Place Stadium. Other topics around the Lions have been a potential ownership change, with Braley possibly taking a financial stake in a team closer to his Hamilton base, and a longstanding club president vacancy.
This sounds like a Lions related only announcement so I am going to rule out anything regarding B.C. Place as surely the Liberals would not only be involved but making the announcement themselves. Another sign is Braley telling Douglas the Lions will have to inform their season ticket holders "within the next month" regarding their 2010 venue so that doesn't sound like an announcement about the roof's future is imminent.

I agree with LFITQ's hunch regarding a new president. Not sure if it was perhaps Water Boys related but Dennis Skulsky was front and centre with Braley on the sidelines to congratulate Wally for breaking Mathews' record a couple of weeks ago.

The long shot would be Braley selling the team but the way this season has gone — I wouldn't be shocked to see the foundation of the franchise rocked with such an announcement.
David
Team Captain

I am with you SG. I now believe it will be to announce a new team President (and what a fine choice Dennis Skulsky would be). If one subscribes the "buy low, sell high" philosophy, Braley wouldn't be selling his asset with the club's attendance down and the stadium issue in flux. And you're right, if it was stadium related, the Liberals wouldn't pass up the opportunity to milk that kind of 'good news' press conference, and I haven't heard of an imminent presser from the Premier's office.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Braley has decided to sell the team to Murray Pezum. /endthread.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Update from Jimmy Mullin on the NW noon hour sports.

The announcement is not going to be regarding the new club president. That decision will be made some time in the new year which would bring Scott Ackles back into the equation.

It also is not related to BC Place or their 2010 venue. So that would only leave the one other suggestion.
Hmmmm a local investor perhaps? Wally announcing this will be his final season as HC?

Maybe Jim can elaborate further.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Update from Jimmy Mullin on the NW noon hour sports.

The announcement is not going to be regarding the new club president. That decision will be made some time in the new year which would bring Scott Ackles back into the equation.

It also is not related to BC Place or their 2010 venue. So that would only leave the one other suggestion.
Hmmmm a local investor perhaps? Wally announcing this will be his final season as HC?

Maybe Jim can elaborate further.
The process of elimination is a long road given the individual that it is regarding. But with both the President and BC Place out of the mix, you have to think that it comes down to a local investor for the club.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

they are going to rebuild empire stadium, slightly modified with better protection from the elements for the fans :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
hwgill
Legend

Maybe Jimmy is going to buy the team finally?
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

hwgill wrote:Maybe Jimmy is going to buy the team finally?
You don't know Jimmy then. He just looks at the Balance Sheet and the P & L. He'd not buy it or he would have done it when it needed saving before David Braley bought it. The facts are this eastern based businessman with no roots in the west nor business interests put his cash up and no BC rich guys moved a plug nickel to help this franchise. The one thing that much hated Premier Glen Clark did was to beat the bushes for the Lions to get their sponsorships up but you never saw Jimmy kicking the tires as the Lions aren't a money maker. Maybe a deal with the Whitecaps owner who is reputedly rich....Greg Kerfoot... but his own portfolio if not in the most brilliant hands must have hit some troubled waters during that last financial tsunami.

If the Lions have to vacate BC Place for a year, I am afraid that is not a good thing for fans who are struggling these days with the tougher economy. I can see no way that some small stadium is going to be anything but more costly for fans as someone will have to pay to do something at old Empire (absolutely stupid idea) or at any other venue (Swanguard). It won't be the taxpayers footing the bill for a years worth of fun. This is not Phoenix Coyote territory and we have no county gov't structure in Canada to come in to save the day (err get the taxpayers on the hook). I just think they have to find a way to stay in the dome as there is no other venue in the province of BC that can house the numbers and pay the bills without gouging more from the ticket paying public. If they added to Swanguard... woweee.. it's like a return to old Empire where you better get some binocs as that 400 metre track sure makes the sight lines suck. Yikes, how to get there - night mare! No parking. UBC .. too far and no transport.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
hwgill wrote:Maybe Jimmy is going to buy the team finally?
You don't know Jimmy then. He just looks at the Balance Sheet and the P & L. He'd not buy it or he would have done it when it needed saving before David Braley bought it. The facts are this eastern based businessman with no roots in the west nor business interests put his cash up and no BC rich guys moved a plug nickel to help this franchise. The one thing that much hated Premier Glen Clark did was to beat the bushes for the Lions to get their sponsorships up but you never saw Jimmy kicking the tires as the Lions aren't a money maker. Maybe a deal with the Whitecaps owner who is reputedly rich....Greg Kerfoot... but his own portfolio if not in the most brilliant hands must have hit some troubled waters during that last financial tsunami.

If the Lions have to vacate BC Place for a year, I am afraid that is not a good thing for fans who are struggling these days with the tougher economy. I can see no way that some small stadium is going to be anything but more costly for fans as someone will have to pay to do something at old Empire (absolutely stupid idea) or at any other venue (Swanguard). It won't be the taxpayers footing the bill for a years worth of fun. This is not Phoenix Coyote territory and we have no county gov't structure in Canada to come in to save the day (err get the taxpayers on the hook). I just think they have to find a way to stay in the dome as there is no other venue in the province of BC that can house the numbers and pay the bills without gouging more from the ticket paying public. If they added to Swanguard... woweee.. it's like a return to old Empire where you better get some binocs as that 400 metre track sure makes the sight lines suck. Yikes, how to get there - night mare! No parking. UBC .. too far and no transport.
I wonder if 'Jimmy' ever reflects upon the bargain that Braley did get the Lions for and the amount that they would fetch on the open market now. Tough for him to think about the community pride that he would have garnered along with a solid profit margin on the books from that purchase.
Entertainment value = an all time low