1 point in the second half?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bbang
Starter

Can't expect to win when all you can muster is 1 measly, tiny, puny single point in the second half. Defence well done, Mallett good game. McCullogh - nice snapping NOT! Hey Heerspink - smarten up. Oh Yah, I forgot -Buck. Good game plan from the coaches but not consistent enough quarterbacking AGAIN. Sorry Buck- like your guts and determination but a top notch qb needs to take his team on his back in games like this ( ala Dunigan, Flutie, etc ) and NOT be denied the W. OFFENCE LETS US DOWN AGAIN!!!
"My job is to kick your ass " - Wally Buono
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Actually, it was 4 points in the second half, but still not enough.
Don Miller
Legend

Once again quarterbacking inconsistent. Buck can't throw deep and the hard outside throw to sidelines with a lot of zip. Our defense did not stop the run when they had to especially in the fourth quarter. I would say bring CP along quickly. We are at this point going to be the crossover team and will be for sure if we loose to Sask next week. Our OLine is still very inconsistent as well. The referrees gave us nothing I guess they figured they owed the other teams for the calls against Montreal and Sask. We need to regroup quickly against Sask. The next games after that are away.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
bbang
Starter

Thanks for the correction, Anger over our under producing offence has affected my memory. 1 point or 4 still not nearly good enough.
"My job is to kick your ass " - Wally Buono
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

bbang wrote:Thanks for the correction, Anger over our under producing offence has affected my memory. 1 point or 4 still not nearly good enough.
Compared to the Nik Lewis "catch", BC's under-achieving offence is at the back of my head right now.
Bosco
Team Captain

With all of the challenges and Lions penalties, it seemed like the Lions offense hardly touched the ball in the second half. :bang:

Great game (again) by Mallett, but Lions QB's have to find SOME WAY to get the ball more often to Simon and Jackson. :2cents:
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

Bosco wrote:With all of the challenges and Lions penalties, it seemed like the Lions offense hardly touched the ball in the second half. :bang:

Great game (again) by Mallett, but Lions QB's have to find SOME WAY to get the ball more often to Simon and Jackson. :2cents:
Had a golden opportunity on the 3rd and 4, late in the game, to get the ball in Paris Jackson's hands. :bang:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lion_Pride_26 wrote:
Bosco wrote:With all of the challenges and Lions penalties, it seemed like the Lions offense hardly touched the ball in the second half. :bang:

Had a golden opportunity on the 3rd and 4, late in the game, to get the ball in Paris Jackson's hands. :bang:
Paris Jackson never was an option on that play. There's no way Buck was going to look to that side unless his immediate first-down options are covered.

My regret about that series was that they didn't hand off to Mallett on second and four. The way he was churning up yardage, he likely would have produced a first down. If not, he might have put them close enough to run again on third down.
Last edited by B.C.FAN on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Team Captain

I feel badly for Buck. I thought he was excellent most of the game - taking what the defense was giving him and throwing 10-15 yard darts. That throw to Arceneaux where he led him and hit him in stride was a thing of beauty too. But once again, he makes a really bad decision at a crucial time and it's game over. In fairness, he took a hellacious hit going out of bounds in the 3rd quarter that may have had an effect on his throwing mechanics. Still, he seems to have a hard time picking out open receivers. :sigh:

I really like the guy a lot. But barring a huge turnaround in our fortunes this season, the club is going to have a hard time selling Buck to potential 2010 season ticket holders.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

If the damn D could have come up big on a few occasions and not stand there watching the Burris/Reynolds show, we could have had many more touches in the 2nd half. Our D is so passive, they're afraid of getting burned by the play. Did you all see how the Stamps were last night?? They dare you to challenge their man to man and with the athletes they have, most of the time, they seem to win. I was really impressed with all their shuffling how the new guys in the secondary played. Great closing speed by their DB's. Lets face it, we lost because the team with the better talent MADE THE PLAYS when needed.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Larry Key wrote:If the damn D could have come up big on a few occasions and not stand there watching the Burris/Reynolds show, we could have had many more touches in the 2nd half. Our D is so passive, they're afraid of getting burned by the play. Did you all see how the Stamps were last night?? They dare you to challenge their man to man and with the athletes they have, most of the time, they seem to win. I was really impressed with all their shuffling how the new guys in the secondary played. Great closing speed by their DB's. Lets face it, we lost because the team with the better talent MADE THE PLAYS when needed.
I though the killer drive was early in the 4th quarter when the Lions, trailing by six, had the Stamps starting on their 15-yard-line. That was the drive on the questionable Bryant catch but FOUR times the Stamps converted 2nd and long. Then when they finally stopped them, Armour was flagged for roughing the passer. It ended with no damage after DeAngelis hit the upright on the FG attempt. But an earlier stop would have given the Lions excellent field position, never mind not eating so much time off the clock.

Sure, Burris only threw for 197 yards but they collectively rushed for over 200 and kept the Lions offence off the field for a good chunk of the 2nd half. The defence took a step back last night to raise the same questions we had through the earlier part of the season with its inability to stop the run — regardless of what personnel is on the field.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Why'd they stop pounding Mallet? Shultz brought this up in the TSN post game panel but I was frustrated Mallet didn't get used more. I love the passing game but still Mallet was churning early and then got used little later. I want Mallet pounding other teams defences until they stop him.
The_Pauser
Legend

Don Miller wrote:Once again quarterbacking inconsistent. Buck can't throw deep and the hard outside throw to sidelines with a lot of zip. Our defense did not stop the run when they had to especially in the fourth quarter. I would say bring CP along quickly. We are at this point going to be the crossover team and will be for sure if we loose to Sask next week. Our OLine is still very inconsistent as well. The referrees gave us nothing I guess they figured they owed the other teams for the calls against Montreal and Sask. We need to regroup quickly against Sask. The next games after that are away.
So let me ask you this...if Buck had made more attempts deep, that fell incomplete or were intercepted but at least were attempts at 35+ yards, or threw hard to the sidelines that were way too hard for his receivers to catch, would you say that quarterbacking was not a problem?
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Why'd they stop pounding Mallet? Shultz brought this up in the TSN post game panel but I was frustrated Mallet didn't get used more. I love the passing game but still Mallet was churning early and then got used little later. I want Mallet pounding other teams defences until they stop him.
That's my beef as well. Seems to me that our OC is continually outsmarting himself. Whenever something works he abandons it and go to something different. If the running game is working, go to the pass instead of just pounding the football til the opposition figure out a way to stop it. Chapdelaine seem to be doing their job for them.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
notahomer wrote:Why'd they stop pounding Mallet? Shultz brought this up in the TSN post game panel but I was frustrated Mallet didn't get used more. I love the passing game but still Mallet was churning early and then got used little later. I want Mallet pounding other teams defences until they stop him.
That's my beef as well. Seems to me that our OC is continually outsmarting himself. Whenever something works he abandons it and go to something different. If the running game is working, go to the pass instead of just pounding the football til the opposition figure out a way to stop it. Chapdelaine seem to be doing their job for them.

The panel were critical of the Lions ending of taking it to the Stamps physically in the second half which is as you say .. part of the demise.

But the D was even the more critical issue.

If Buck didn't have his injury issues and Printers was not in town, none of this would be on his shoulders.

Quite frankly, the Lions receiving corps doesn't scare anyone lately especially when they ran the same stuff. Geroy RGR the primary guy on 2nd down and it is not even a 10 yard pass but as it is known it is no longer beat one guy and head to the end zone. It is a quick toss to give the RGR time to square up to the D and make ONE cut... but it is so known by Hufnagel's D that Geroy couldn't even turn. Instead it looks like Buck missed a guy.

This other stuff about Buck missing open receivers and PJ being annoyed etc is like Geroy's comments before the Als game that if the QB held on longer he was coming free. Yes, but he can't as this isn't the O line playing like it did when Bates and Murphy were in front of the Lion QBs. A lot has changed and the loss of some major chemistry in the Lions on both sides of the ball is doing them in while other teams feed on their predictability and lack of variation on offensive themes and inability to make the right defensive calls to stop the run.

Burris didn't need better stats than Buck but he got some 50 yds running to add to JR's 150 and ergo the Lions played twice on offence or something ridiculous like that in the 4th Q.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy