Lions sign JoJuan Armour!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hooray! Welcome back JoJaun!
Boy did this team need some positive news and it will be really interesting to see if this means the end of the 4-2 scheme.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Guess the lobbying by Lionbackers to Wally has paid off dividends. Now can we lobby for the dismissal of Chapdelaine ? :wink:
David
Team Captain

Welcome back JoJuan! This is just the type of player we need at this point. Someone with a bit of edge, attitude and swagger who can put a hurt on someone (as long as it's not someone on our team :wink:).

Oh yeah, knowledge of the Stamps defensive playbook a definite asset. :thup:

Great news!

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I like it.

A.J. Harris is listed at 6'1" and 230 lbs. Does Wally finally miss Joe Smith? Does Wally finally acknowledge that we need a real power runner at certain times in the game?

Wally had hopes that Rolly Lumbala could be that guy. But Lumbala barely carried the ball in college (8 times total), and was used as a blocking back. IMO he does not have the resume or the natural running ability of a CFL running back.

Re: JoJuan Armour

My hope is that Wally abandons the 4 - 2, which IMO has shown great vulnerability to the running game.

It is also my hope that JoJuan plays in the middle of the 4 - 3, with primary run stopping responsiblity. McKenzie and Glatt can play on the outside.

I expect however that Armour will be on STs, with some reps at outside LB, and possibly a few reps at MLB.
College Career

Played at Miami University

Two time Mid-American Conference defensive player of the year as a linebacker

Finished his collegiate career ranked 10th all-time at Miami with 396 total tackles

Made 67 tackles for 297 yards in losses, the second most in school history

24.5 quarterback sacks, the third highest total in Miami history

Garnered three All-MAC selections

Third team All-American as a senior

Four year lettermen with Miami

Professional Career

He was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in 1999 and was later signed by the Cincinnati Bengals in December 1999.

Armour started for the Bengals in 2001 and 2002 and was released by them in August 2003.
He played some safety in the NFL and has pass coverage skills as well as linebacking skills. Should give us some better tackling if he is given the chance.

A good resume from college

These moves might just be window dressing by Wally. Keep the faithful fans (those that are left) happy. Show that changes are being made. It is possible that these new signings might not be used as we would hope.

The hope: a power runner, and a run stopping MLB.

The probable reality: window dressing. A place on the bench for the power runner, and ST duty for the linebacker.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:That's one more LB for the roster, meaning somebody has to go. Not sure about Terna Nande, but I believe he's a D.I.?

I would like Armour as the MLB, but even going to a 4-3 with Armour as an OLB would be an improvement (keeping Javi in the middle). On passing downs, back to the 4-2-6 formation with Banks coming in at nickle (and pray they don't run :wink: ). Toney has played well at halfback and I don't think we want to hamper his development.
We can't have it all. It's Toney who comes out now when Nande comes in as a third linebacker.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote: These moves might just be window dressing by Wally. Keep the faithful fans (those that are left) happy. Show that changes are being made. It is possible that these new signings might not be used as we would hope.

The hope: a power runner, and a run stopping MLB.

The probable reality: window dressing. A place on the bench for the power runner, and ST duty for the linebacker.
Some excellent points WC Joe .... is Wally and Benevides willing to admit in week #6 they made a mistake going with a 4-2 and immediately insert Armour in as a third LB or is he just viewed as an upgrade on Nande or Dennis and assumes either of their roles?

Either way ... Nande or Dennis is about to be demoted from the active roster or given their release.

Edwards was eligible for the 09 draft and wasn't picked. This is solely a practice roster move.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Edwards was eligible for the 09 draft and wasn't picked. This is solely a practice roster move.
As a 206-pound defensive end whose E-camp numbers weren't good, it's no surprise he wasn't picked. I wonder what role Wally sees for him.
Rammer
Team Captain

Well Armour's signing was obvious to us and should have been done prior to the Stampeder game, just to get some information on the Stamps tendencies.
Entertainment value = an all time low
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Edwards was eligible for the 09 draft and wasn't picked. This is solely a practice roster move.
As a 206-pound defensive end whose E-camp numbers weren't good, it's no surprise he wasn't picked. I wonder what role Wally sees for him.
Gary Butler needs a friend?
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

James Edwards, a Hamilton native, led the McMaster Marauders in sacks in 2006 and 2007. The six-foot-two, 209-pound was an OUA second-team all-star last season.
I guess Mike McEachern turned down an offer for the PR. This Edwards looks like another tweener. Big DB, or light LB with pass rush skill and perhaps ST duty.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
James Edwards, a Hamilton native, led the McMaster Marauders in sacks in 2006 and 2007. The six-foot-two, 209-pound was an OUA second-team all-star last season.
I guess Mike McEachern turned down an offer for the PR. This Edwards looks like another tweener. Big DB, or light LB with pass rush skill and perhaps ST duty.
Edwards has no measurable athletic ability. He ran a 5.09 in the 40 and had a 24-inch vertical jump at the E-camp.

Wally will be on Team1040 at 1:40 p.m. to discuss the signings and the challenge ahead.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

JoJuan Armour the MLB in the revamped 4-3 hopefully? :cr:

Anton and Javy the two OLBs? :thup:
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

TSN is reporting that Armour will replace Glatt in the starting lineup.