Esks fine two Lions for souvenir ball toss

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

We've talked before about the practice of tossing souvenir footballs into the stands after touchdowns and other big plays, and players such as Dante Marsh and Geroy Simon have said they've never been fined or made to pay for the souvenir balls.

According to Mike Beamish, the Edmonton Eskimos have a policy of fining players $60 for the wholesale cost of any balls tossed in the stands at Commonwealth. Emmanuel Arceneux was fined $60 after last week's game and Geroy Simon was fined $120. I don't know if this policy is applied equally to home and visiting players, but it seems tacky.

The two Lion players weren't grumbling about it, but as a fan I applaud tasteful celebrations that allow the fans to share in the moment. I caught my first souvenir ball last year (thanks Dante) and it's one of my most cherished possessions from more than four decades of attending CFL games.
“You can’t do that in college,” Arceneaux said Wednesday. “No spiking the ball, no tossing the ball into the stands. I thought this [CFL] was different because it’s professional football. But I guess it’s just a rule Edmonton has.”

Home teams are required to pay for the footballs used in a CFL game and some aren’t as liberal about where they end up, especially when it’s the visiting team doing the celebrating. Like Arceneaux, slotback Geroy Simon has been told to fork over $120 after he tossed a pair of footballs skyward following his two-touchdown performance in the Lions’ 44-20 win over the Eskimos.

Arguably, Simon has the most recognized silhouette in the CFL when he strikes the pose of Superman following a touchdown. The league is much more lenient about the gesture, however, than the Eskimos are about Simon’s post-touchdown tosses.

“Honestly, I’m not worried about a $60 fine,” Simon says. “Giving a ball to a fan kind of encourages them to come to a game. Even if they don’t have the best seat in the house, there’s a chance they might catch a souvenir. They talk about wanting to promote our game, and that’s what I’m doing. Pretty much every time I score a touchdown, I toss it away into the stands. And I’ve never been fined before. I think it’s kind of stupid . . . bush league.”
Link
Rammer
Team Captain

Lucky for the Lions that they only hammered the Esks with 5 TD's, otherwise they may have to renegotiate their contracts. :)
Entertainment value = an all time low
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

I have to agree with Geroy. I'm 43 years old and I would be thrilled to catch a ball after a TD. I can just imagine how excited a kid would be. I love tossing the balls into the stands. JMO
Tighthead
Legend

as per Justice Gomery, "small-town cheap".
Vern Halen
Champion

LOL - reminds of a few years back when the Stamps came to Mosaic Stadium - Burris had been yakking it up to the media in the days leading up the game and riling up the Rider fans.

On Calgary's second possession, Henry ran it in from 11 yards out, and pointed at the east side stands, celebrating and threw the souvenir ball into Section 28.

The guy who caught it threw it back on the field and the crowd went nuts.

Kinda like Cubs fans and opposing teams home run balls.
Zarquon
Champion

Vern Halen wrote:LOL - reminds of a few years back when the Stamps came to Mosaic Stadium - Burris had been yakking it up to the media in the days leading up the game and riling up the Rider fans.

On Calgary's second possession, Henry ran it in from 11 yards out, and pointed at the east side stands, celebrating and threw the souvenir ball into Section 28.

That is much better than last year. The Lion's tossed up a football at Mosaic Stadium and the fans tossed back a bunch of beer.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
jim604
All Star

And what happens if a player doesn't pay?
Tighthead
Legend

Braley should roll up to Hugh Campbell with a wad of c-notes and peel off five crisp ones and ask for a credit balance for future transgressions.
Vern Halen
Champion

Zarquon wrote:
Vern Halen wrote:LOL - reminds of a few years back when the Stamps came to Mosaic Stadium - Burris had been yakking it up to the media in the days leading up the game and riling up the Rider fans.

That is much better than last year. The Lion's tossed up a football at Mosaic Stadium and the fans tossed back a bunch of beer.
Your guys looked thirsty...
Last edited by Vern Halen on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFITQ
Team Captain

You mean to tell me that the Lions, and Geroy notably, have never scored a TD in Commonwealth before and tossed the ball into the fans?

Did EDM send out a notice to all of the other teams regarding this change of policy?

New rule for BC Place, everytime an opposition player catches the ball if he doesn't toss it into the stands he gets fined $120. We gotta pay for that roof somehow..
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
ziggy
Legend

Well lets face it, the three guys who got footballs were probably the only 3 Shmoes fans who left the game happy. Perhaps this is a new trend, if you have a crappy team, let opponents score on you so you can charge for the footballs they toss to the crowd and make up for the lack of fans in the seats. Seems to me it would be a better plan to charge the defender that got beat?
Hutch85
All Star

What's next, Edmonton? Ripping a souvenir game ball from some kids' hands? Perhaps you should take away any souvenir balls given to sick kids too, especially at any charitable functions. God forbid you show any charity at all.

Even more justification to dislike anything Evil Empire related. Idiots.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And what about the footballs that players often give to Special Needs fans at the games. Classy move charging the player for the ball he gives to the kid in a wheelchair. In point of fact, I would refuse to pay the cost and in fact the next time I played their stadium, I would do just that and dare them to try and make me pay. Imagine the headline!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
D
Team Captain

just another reason to hate the eskies :wink:

shouldn't the esks make thier defence pay for the balls?
I own The Grey Cup! .com