logan update

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

zark
Champion

- Competition is heavy for the return spots on the roster, with rookie WR Mike Wallace the favorite for the no. 1 KR position and rookie DB "Smoking Joe" Burnett as the no. PR. With it looking like Burnett will be active on game days, Wex said the rookie will probably have to find another job to do as well. How about punt team gunner and kickoff team? A. Madison, is that your seat that is getting pretty warm?

- CFL star KR/PR Stefan Logan looks like another Darren Sproles, Wex said, but might not have the type of long-speed that Sproles has. According to a fellow scribe, Logan stayed after practice to race FWP this past week and lost by 5 yards. Free Agent WR Brandon Williams is competing with McDonald for that veteran slot receiver position. Williams will have to make plays as a kickoff return man to stick and appears to have the quickness and ability to do that job, he said.

- Free Agent WR Jayson Foster is cat-quick and a better downfield receiver than Logan. He’s more of a WR while Logan is a wingback/RB trying to play WR.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ?ref=yahoo
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Don Miller
Legend

Looks like Stefan may be in tough to get a spot it will be interesting to see if they keep him around for a preseason look. It would be great to see him back here for sure.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Rammer
Team Captain

Don Miller wrote:Looks like Stefan may be in tough to get a spot it will be interesting to see if they keep him around for a preseason look. It would be great to see him back here for sure.
That certainly puts him behind the eight ball and with the concern about his topend speed being questioned, his size will become a factor in that equation quickly. Of all the loses this past season, I think that the pure jump out of your seat play that Logan provided was the most difficult for myself. A return by Logan to the Lions would be a welcome addition, the sooner the better though.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

- CFL star KR/PR Stefan Logan looks like another Darren Sproles, Wex said, but might not have the type of long-speed that Sproles has. According to a fellow scribe, Logan stayed after practice to race FWP this past week and lost by 5 yards.
Some Lionbackers have commented on how it seemed Logan was run down a few times from behind last year here in B.C.

It would seem he does not have great flat-out speed. His quickness is more about initial burst and lateral mobility. As someone said, he can make you miss in a phone booth.

I would not be surprised if one of the new running backs make it less than a sure thing that Logan would get his starting spot back with the Lions.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
- CFL star KR/PR Stefan Logan looks like another Darren Sproles, Wex said, but might not have the type of long-speed that Sproles has. According to a fellow scribe, Logan stayed after practice to race FWP this past week and lost by 5 yards.
Some Lionbackers have commented on how it seemed Logan was run down a few times from behind last year here in B.C.

It would seem he does not have great flat-out speed. His quickness is more about initial burst and lateral mobility. As someone said, he can make you miss in a phone booth.

I would not be surprised if one of the new running backs make it less than a sure thing that Logan would get his starting spot back with the Lions.
I would be surprised if one did, but the track record for returning CFL stars from their NFL attempt isn't as good as you would think it should be. One reason for that is that most seem to bulk up to NFL standards and aren't as fluid as they once were in the CFL. Still Logan is attempting to be the return guy, so I doubt he put on much weight, especially since you consider that he came out of an NFL attempt to the Lions in the first place.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

zark wrote:According to a fellow scribe, Logan stayed after practice to race FWP this past week and lost by 5 yards.
What does FWP mean in this sentence. Been scratching my head for a while now. Frankly, it's starting to get to me, lol.

It's tough to root against Logan and his endeavours, but with him being 4th or 5th on the RB depth chart and not the leading candidate for either KR or PR AND a lack of a signing bonus in Pittsburgh, it's tough to see him anywhere but in B.C. come September or possibly earlier.

And about him returning and not getting his job back.... to me that is very hard to believe... You don't find running backs that can average you 7.3 yards per carry and 7.9 in the playoffs. You just don't... There are hundreds of backs that can carry the ball for an average of 5.0ypc (We've got six of them in camp right now).. but not many backs can do what Logan did up here.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

korey&dante4ever wrote:
zark wrote:According to a fellow scribe, Logan stayed after practice to race FWP this past week and lost by 5 yards.
What does FWP mean in this sentence. Been scratching my head for a while now. Frankly, it's starting to get to me, lol.

It's tough to root against Logan and his endeavours, but with him being 4th or 5th on the RB depth chart and not the leading candidate for either KR or PR AND a lack of a signing bonus in Pittsburgh, it's tough to see him anywhere but in B.C. come September or possibly earlier.

And about him returning and not getting his job back.... to me that is very hard to believe... You don't find running backs that can average you 7.3 yards per carry and 7.9 in the playoffs. You just don't... There are hundreds of backs that can carry the ball for an average of 5.0ypc (We've got six of them in camp right now).. but not many backs can do what Logan did up here.
Fast Willie Parker, their starting RB.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
2Davis2SanchezFan
prospect

I would welcome him back
CFL Fan, NFL Fan, NBA Fan, MLB Fan. Love playing Sports.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I don't care whether Logan comes back here as the starting RB, the simple fact of having him back on the team gives us another weapon to exploit against other teams which I don't think anybody would complain about. The quick strike option of Logan is something that I don't think this team has without him, I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

not that I am hoping he gets cut... BUT if it was too happen I hope it happens early. I will be at the Aug 21 and September 4 games and would love to see me some Logan running all over the Bombers and Als :cr:
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions may have seen last of Logan's run

A hit with Steelers; 'You're probably not going to get him back'

Mike Beamish,
Canwest News Service
Published: Saturday, June 20, 2009

Considering he did not score a rushing touchdown last season, feature back Stefan Logan is causing a great deal of stress for the B. C. Lions.

Expectations that the 5-foot-6 running back's stay with the Pittsburgh Steelers might be short were dealt a blow after Lions player personnel director Roy Shivers contacted the NFL team this week. Shivers has a long-standing relationship with Kirby Wilson, the Steelers running backs' coach and a player he used to teach. Logan signed with Pittsburgh as a free agent in early February.

"Kirby told me to forget about him," Shivers said at Lions training camp yesterday. "They like him and they've moved him to slotback. The idea is that they can get him the ball in space and everything. He's opening some eyes. The veterans have gravitated toward him because he's shown stuff in mini-camps. And they plan to use him as a kick returner, too. Kirby told me, 'You're probably not going to get him back.' "

According to Shivers' interpretation, Logan will be moving on to the Steelers' main training camp in mid-July.

So for now, and possibly the foreseeable future, the Lions must hope that Ian Smart, Martell Mallet, Damian Sims or Emmanuel Marc can provide some of the electrifying moments that Logan used to.

"There's another one [like Logan] out there and we've got to find him," Lions head coach Wally Buono said after the Steelers signed Logan. That was four months ago and the jury is still out on whether that goal has been achieved.

Marc, a well-put-together 5-foot-10, 205-pound back, played only two seasons of NCAA Division 1-AA football with the Delaware State Hornets. Stylistically, however, he could be the closest approximation to Logan that the Lions have on their roster.

Trouble is, Marc's early promise in training camp came precisely at that point -- early. He has been resting a sprained knee for 10 days and only got back on the practice field for a few limited reps on Friday. His desire to play in Tuesday's second pre-season game, against the Edmonton Eskimos at B. C. Place, borders on desperation.

"If it's up to me, I'll play," Marc said. "But I don't make the decisions. I'm assuming that I'll play because I need to play. Otherwise, I'll have nothing to show anybody. I'm ready to lace up and go."

But Logan is unique, Shivers said, the type of transcendent backfield talent who comes along once "every five or 10 years" in the CFL.

Though Marc has never met him, he knows the yearning for another Logan is palpable. And he is aware of every one of Logan's baffling moves through video study. Marc said he spent many hours checking out the credentials of the Lions' other running back candidates before they'd even arrived in camp. He is nothing if not thorough.

Until Marc is given a chance or proves otherwise, Smart is the leading candidate to replace Logan. A CFL kick return all-star in 2007 and the league's most outstanding special teams player that year, Smart insists he can be a rusher and a returner.
Looking that the move to receiver wasn't a slight on Logan, but rather trying to find a position for him to make the team. I was really hoping that he would return, doesn't look promising now. He was the answer to JC's limited run selection, as he could make something out of nothing.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Does the RB coach really have that much say whether a 5-6 receiver makes the team or not? As a slotback/tight end?? I guess they'll be using him primarily on passing downs. :wink:
Pretty sure that he would be privy to the inner circle of the Steelers Coaching staff thoughts regardless of his actual position.

My take on it is that Logan is gone at least until September, perhaps longer so don't hold your breath on his return, unless you are viewing a Steeler game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Does the RB coach really have that much say whether a 5-6 receiver makes the team or not? As a slotback/tight end?? I guess they'll be using him primarily on passing downs. :wink:
Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin also praised Logan's performance as a receiver last week. It's safe to say the coaching staff likes him.