Tillman charged with sexual assault

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Real women wear orange!!
Bosco
Team Captain

WOW.... talk about unwelcome news. :shock:

This story is indeed huge.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shocking indeed
Big Time
Champion

I thought this was a joke when I came across this on the Rider board but it's now in the newspapers:

Roughriders GM Eric Tillman charged with sexual assault

http://www.leaderpost.com/Roughriders+E ... story.html

REGINA -- Roughriders General Manager Eric Tillman has been charged with sexual assaulting a 16-year-old girl, the Regina Leader-Post has learned.

Regina Police Service spokeswoman Elizabeth Popowich confirmed Tuesday that Tillman, 51, has been charged in an incident alleged to have happened in Regina on Aug. 6.

Popowich said Tillman is not in custody. He has a court date scheduled for Feb.24 at Regina Provincial Court.

“He was arrested, charged and then released on an undertaking to appear in court,” she said.

Popowich said the complainant came forward within three days of the alleged incident in August, and the investigation led to Tillman being charged last week. No further details of the allegation are being released by police.

Tillman, a veteran CFL executive, arrived in Regina in 2006 after the Riders fired general manager Roy Shivers.

Tillman became a fan favourite after hiring Kent Austin as the team’s head coach for 2007, a year in which the Riders captured the CFL’s Grey Cup.

Popowich said Tillman’s high-profile position in the community didn’t have any impact on how police handled the allegation or the subsequent investigation.

“People aren’t treated any differently,” she said. “The investigations that occur in any alleged incident are thorough and complete. In many cases, there will be several levels of review or consultation, but that’s not uncommon. (A person’s profile in the community) really isn’t pertinent to the investigation, or the subsequent charge or the court proceedings that follow.”

WOW. I know you're innocent until proven guilty but damn, talk about an unwanted distraction in Riderville.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Even though he is a little pissant, I am still sorry to hear this.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Topics merged.

Indeed shocking and all hell is about to break loose in Riderville. Sadly, they very soon be in the market for a new GM regardless how this turns out.
Big Time
Champion

Let's not forget that there is a potential 16 year old victim here. You are innocent until proven guilty so Tillman deserves the benefit of the doubt, but if the allegations are proven to be true, it's a reflection on him alone and not the Riders organization, players or fans. If the allegations are true, I feel much worse for the victim than the potential fallout to the league.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I keep thinking of all the times he was standing on his soapbox pointing fingers at Wally Buono and the Lions.

Oooops.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Topics merged.

Indeed shocking and all hell is about to break loose in Riderville. Sadly, they very soon be in the market for a new GM regardless how this turns out.
Can't even get onto Riderfans-it keeps timing out.
Real women wear orange!!
Big Time
Champion

I was on there right before it crashed where someone posted "I wonder if the site is gonna crash" after the story broke.

LOL
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Topics merged.

Can't even get onto Riderfans-it keeps timing out.
It's a good thing there are not many tall buildings in Saskatchewan.
Vern Halen
Champion

This really, really sucks.

People around here in Regina just want to believe it's not true, but realize where there's smoke, there's probably fire. The sad thing is, is when your name is linked to those two words - even if you're eventually found not guilty, that stigma follows you around.

Sad, sad day for both Tillman and the alleged victim.

Sad day for Rider fans. Sad day for the Rider organization and the players. The Riders will be having a press conference or making a statement to the press later today.

:sigh:

BTW - rf.com is down right now and I had to express myself somewhere...
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

My best wishes go out to the victim and the Riders organization and fans (and Tillman ----if innocent). It appears that it is being handled with the utmost professionalism by the Regina Police Service. Jim Hopson will be speaking on NewsTalk Radio at 3:00 Saskatchewan time from the Green and White Lounge.
Spud387
Champion

ya... the riders forums went kaputz.

I didn't see any details released. I am also kinda confused as to why it has taken this long if the victim did report it Aug. 9th.

I never liked the guy, but this has gone beyond the Lions/Riders... I am curious as to the details, but this doesn't look good.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If the allegations are true ...

Horrendous.

Shocking.

What an idiot.

What a hypocrite.

Holier than thou, he presents himself. Not.

Sympathy to the victim.

Sad news for the Rider franchise, their fans and the CFL. Horrendous.

False accusations do happen. There is always a presumption of innocence. However, when the authorities take lots of time to investigate, and do so thoroughly (as they certainly would for such a high-profile subject), prior to making the charge, it starts to look bad for the accused.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.