Murphy Testing FA Feb 16th

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Well, well, well, Murphy is up to his negotiations tactics using his promise to his wife as the guise behind his latest contract discussion. Despite his 'love of Vancouver/Wally/Lions' he had promised his wife that his next contract he would explore his value if he had a family. Well apparently the Lions have offered to upgrade his current $145K contract and he has shot down the idea of himself seeking in the $200K contract as factors, money isn't the issue (rarely has it ever been with him :)), just his promise to his wife at his last signing.

It is a gamble that he is taking IMO, FA money may be spent elsewhere once that date rolls past. With the need for a few LB'ers, it is likely that the current offer gets used on what is needed as the FA market unfolds. Top that with Jimenez also being a potential FA, you have to think that Wally will get a sense of having signed one of the pending FA OT's is a good days work.

Last time it was all about the money being enough to entice him away from his business venture, this time around he has struck in another direction. That all said, he may well end up with more coin elsewhere, which IMO is what this all boils down to.

Link here....http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
Entertainment value = an all time low
ziggy
Legend

I'd be shocked if the Riders don't try and get him, lets face it the fans there really love and respect him. It's even been proven that some like him so much, they try to buy him a beer at games. Too bad they haven't got the bugs out the delivery system yet. :lol: Wouldn't that be something Murph to the Riders and Lloyd to BC.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Every athlete deserves the opportunity to test the FA market when that window opens and I don't blame Murphy for given it a look and he knows his resumé after three seasons up here is pretty impressive.

Maybe his wife wants be closer to their Florida roots given the demands of having triplets and having immediate family at the farthest corner of the continent? This isn't actually a great time to be selling your home in the Lower Mainland so perhaps that's a telling sign.

I'm actually surprised to learn Wally's offer was higher than his previous contract as we are talking huge $$$ in this league for an import offensive lineman. The pay structure suggests the Lions will have to go cheaper somewhere on their o-line in ’09 — especially after what the Stamps pulled off with 2 starting rookies last season.

I too agree Jiminez and Murphy won't both be back. Hopefully Sorenson is signed and is on the fast track to being a starter in the next couple of years to improve our ratio.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:Every athlete deserves the opportunity to test the FA market when that window opens and I don't blame Murphy for given it a look and he knows his resumé after three seasons up here is pretty impressive.
I think if I was in his shoes I'd do the same. He turns 32 on Sunday. Depending on what he sees himself doing in 3 to 5 years this could well be the last chance he has to see what his real market value is. For the most part agents have a decent sense of what the market can bear, but until their client is a true free agent they never know if there is a "home run" type contract out there. I kinda doubt it, but if somebody has an extra $20K to through at him annually he certainly would want to consider it. If it proves all offers are in the same neighbourhood as Wally's then he'll likely stay put. With free agency being only a month away he really has nothing to lose by exploring all his options.

As for the family proximity thing something tells me that with triplets who will be 1 year old in July they won't be travelling anywhere. ;-) The family will have to fly north. And for them where would they rather fly to? Vancouver or Winnipeg?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"I told Wally this is the best three years I've had as a player, and I have a great rapport with him. What he let me do last year [to skip training camp] was unheard of. I love Vancouver, and Wally gave me a bump up in pay."
Great rapport? Last year it was mostly a one-way arrangement, favouring Murphy. Give Rob whatever he wants, and get back poor commitment, poor dedication and poor work ethic. Skip Training Camp. Miss regular season games. Put in little effort in practice. Set a bad example. I'd say Wally gave him great leeway, special privileges, and special consideration, but did not get much back for it.

I'd have doubts about bringing him back even for the same $145,000. An increase in pay? No way. His charismatic personality and his previous 2 excellent years not withstanding, IMO he earned his ticket out of town last year.

When he was good, in his first two years here, he was very, very good. I was as much of a fan as most anybody. But that was not the case last year.

I'd say sign Jason Jimenez, and let some other CFL team have Murphy. I am actually surprised how much special treatment Wally has given Rob Murphy. But I think we have seen with Wally that some players do seem to get favoured, untouchable status.

Apologies to the Murphy fans out there, but this is a forum for differering opinions.
Big Time
Champion

I think your view is a bit harsh WestCoastJoe. In the article, Murphy basically says he would present any offers to Wally prior to signing with another team. He's basically saying that the Lions will have first right of refusal should he get a better offer elsewhere. At 32, he won't get another chance to truly test the FA market since his next contract he will clearly be on the downside of his career. It makes purrfect sense that he would want to test the FA market, and he's still showing his loyalty by giving the Lions the chance to match. The guy has won two O-lineman of the year awards, won a Grey Cup and been an all star each year he has played. He has nothing left to accomplish at this point and has nothing to lose by going the FA route.

As for his play, I agree it dropped last year and this was definitely related to missing training camp. It's a special circumstance to have triplets and Wally rightfully recognized this in granting him time off. I still think Murphy with a proper training camp can be just as good as he was in 2006 and 2007.

My personal sense is that he will likely sign elsewhere since Wally looks like he's going to be focussing on re-tooling the defense this year. You keep JJ, get some competition for left tackle and use Murphy money elsewhere seems like a sensible course. If you sign Murphy, then JJ is definitely gone. Either way, the team will be different next year and our success will likely depend on the Lions track record of finding diamonds in the rough (Wake, Logan, Joe Smith etc).
Bobbyp
Champion

he should have took the 200 000 if they indeed offered that. Whats he hoping for 210 000.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:I'd be shocked if the Riders don't try and get him, lets face it the fans there really love and respect him. It's even been proven that some like him so much, they try to buy him a beer at games. Too bad they haven't got the bugs out the delivery system yet. :lol: Wouldn't that be something Murph to the Riders and Lloyd to BC.
Why would the Riders be interested ? Murphy by all consensus is a dirty cheap player. Everyone knows that the Riders are angels.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Bobbyp wrote:he should have took the 200 000 if they indeed offered that. Whats he hoping for 210 000.
You have to read it again. Murphy shot down rumours that he was asking $200K. Obviously that means he's not looking for that much. If the Lions did offer $200K they'd already have had the press conference to announce the new deal.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:I think your view is a bit harsh WestCoastJoe. In the article, Murphy basically says he would present any offers to Wally prior to signing with another team. He's basically saying that the Lions will have first right of refusal should he get a better offer elsewhere. At 32, he won't get another chance to truly test the FA market since his next contract he will clearly be on the downside of his career. It makes purrfect sense that he would want to test the FA market, and he's still showing his loyalty by giving the Lions the chance to match. The guy has won two O-lineman of the year awards, won a Grey Cup and been an all star each year he has played. He has nothing left to accomplish at this point and has nothing to lose by going the FA route.

As for his play, I agree it dropped last year and this was definitely related to missing training camp. It's a special circumstance to have triplets and Wally rightfully recognized this in granting him time off. I still think Murphy with a proper training camp can be just as good as he was in 2006 and 2007.

My personal sense is that he will likely sign elsewhere since Wally looks like he's going to be focussing on re-tooling the defense this year. You keep JJ, get some competition for left tackle and use Murphy money elsewhere seems like a sensible course. If you sign Murphy, then JJ is definitely gone. Either way, the team will be different next year and our success will likely depend on the Lions track record of finding diamonds in the rough (Wake, Logan, Joe Smith etc).

I agree, and most of you know that Murph was my favorite Leo in 2007 and 2008. I wouldn't have offerd Murphy a raise after his 2008 season. Murphy should be taking Wally's offer, if loyalty were a two way street in this case.

With the cap remaining the same, with the need to sign Jiminez and Joystick, I wouldn't be waiting too long if I was Murphy. Murphy was able to get his last contrat when Dickenson offered to restructure his to get Murph signed. It's time for Murphy to step up to the plate again...
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Bobbyp
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Bobbyp wrote:he should have took the 200 000 if they indeed offered that. Whats he hoping for 210 000.
You have to read it again. Murphy shot down rumours that he was asking $200K. Obviously that means he's not looking for that much. If the Lions did offer $200K they'd already have had the press conference to announce the new deal.
I didnt actually read the whole thing I just saw 200 000 in there.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
Bobbyp
Champion

Blitz wrote:
Big Time wrote:I think your view is a bit harsh WestCoastJoe. In the article, Murphy basically says he would present any offers to Wally prior to signing with another team. He's basically saying that the Lions will have first right of refusal should he get a better offer elsewhere. At 32, he won't get another chance to truly test the FA market since his next contract he will clearly be on the downside of his career. It makes purrfect sense that he would want to test the FA market, and he's still showing his loyalty by giving the Lions the chance to match. The guy has won two O-lineman of the year awards, won a Grey Cup and been an all star each year he has played. He has nothing left to accomplish at this point and has nothing to lose by going the FA route.

I agree, and most of you know that Murph was my favorite Leo in 2007 and 2008. I wouldn't have offerd Murphy a raise after his 2008 season. Murphy should be taking Wally's offer, if loyalty were a two way street in this case.

With the cap remaining the same, with the need to sign Jiminez and Joystick, I wouldn't be waiting too long if I was Murphy. Murphy was able to get his last contrat when Dickenson offered to restructure his to get Murph signed. It's time for Murphy to step up to the plate again...
My favorite too. I dont like when guys say the same old crap about the other team like there really good... blah blah blah. Tell it like it is.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Maybe Murph signs with the Stampeders. That way he could avoid being pwned by Labinjo.
David
Team Captain

I sure hope we can hang onto Murph, but from what I am reading it would appear that he might want to play for an Eastern team to be closer to his Florida home. Certainly, selling his house in Cloverdale is not a good sign (but it would be one hell of a good negotiating ploy! :wink:).

Simply put, he's the best left tackle we've had in a Lions uniform in a long time. Possibly ever. I love Walter Stith and all, but we just don't know whether he can consistently play at that high level.

I think the Murph of 2009 will more closely resemble the Murph of 2007. I remember reading at the start of last season that he wanted to shed some weight as he felt carrying his NFL weight wasn't necessary. That may have explained being pwned by Labinjo.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Maybe Murph signs with the Stampeders. That way he could avoid being pwned by Labinjo.
Ouch !