State of the League Press Conference

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

orangegloves
Starter

Does anyone know what happened at the Press Conference? I was watching it online and a reporter from TSN was asking a question when all of a sudden the mic went dead, a concerned look came across Mark Cohon's face and then people were getting up and looking towards the back of the room. After a few seconds of this the feed went blank! If anyone has any idea what happened please tell it on here!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

orangegloves wrote:Does anyone know what happened at the Press Conference? I was watching it online and a reporter from TSN was asking a question when all of a sudden the mic went dead, a concerned look came across Mark Cohon's face and then people were getting up and looking towards the back of the room. After a few seconds of this the feed went blank! If anyone has any idea what happened please tell it on here!
From the Canadian Press:
CFL commissioner's news conference interrupted as cameraman is taken ill

MONTREAL — The CFL commissioner's annual state of the union news conference was interrupted Friday when a TV cameraman was taken ill.

Mark Cohon was about 30 minutes in when the cameraman fell to the ground.

The news conference was halted while the cameraman from The Score received medical assistance. An ambulance arrived and the man, looking dazed and a little pale, was taken away for more treatment.

After a short break, Cohon finished off his event by taking questions in an adjacent room.
MacNews
Team Captain

Some points:
TSN.ca wrote:Other points from the commissioner's address included:

- A continuation of the CFL's Retro program, including the possibility of opening next season on Canada Day.

- Creating a league command centre for officiating so all decisions can be made from Toronto.

- New in-game standards to protecting quarterbacks. At season's end the CFL will meet with club GMs and coaches and discuss how this can be further improved.

- A drug-testing policy - which already has a first draft - that, with the support of the CFL Players' Association, will be part of the new collective bargaining agreement in 2010.

- Talking to the CIS about co-ordinating efforts with the two title games being played in the same city.

- The league will decide shortly what the cap will be in 2009 but doubts it will increase from its present level of $4.2 million.
Your Call
Wasn't that one of Bob Ackles ideas?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:New in-game standards to protecting quarterbacks. At season's end the CFL will meet with club GMs and coaches and discuss how this can be further improved.
Right. I'll believe it when I see it called a few times.

The league did stop the rollups by D Linemen on QBs legs. Rollups were a nasty stunt. And don't anyone say that defenders would not try to take out a QB. Of course they do. They will hit a QB as hard as they possibly can, that they think they can get away with. Their team's success and their own livelihood can depend on it.

I would like to see the league punish defenders for making first contact with the helmet, leading with the helmet, or launching themselves like missiles at QBs. It is a point of debate, even here on Lionbackers, but IMO it is not necessary to lead with the helmet. IMO leading with the helmet puts the tackler's neck and spinal cord at risk, as much as it leads to concussions for the QB.

... feeling some withdrawal symptoms ... no Lions football ...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Did anyone ask whether playoffs next year will revert back to Sundays ?
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
MacNews wrote:New in-game standards to protecting quarterbacks. At season's end the CFL will meet with club GMs and coaches and discuss how this can be further improved.
Right. I'll believe it when I see it called a few times.

The league did stop the rollups by D Linemen on QBs legs. Rollups were a nasty stunt. And don't anyone say that defenders would not try to take out a QB. Of course they do. They will hit a QB as hard as they possibly can, that they think they can get away with. Their team's success and their own livelihood can depend on it.

I would like to see the league punish defenders for making first contact with the helmet, leading with the helmet, or launching themselves like missiles at QBs. It is a point of debate, even here on Lionbackers, but IMO it is not necessary to lead with the helmet. IMO leading with the helmet puts the tackler's neck and spinal cord at risk, as much as it leads to concussions for the QB.

... feeling some withdrawal symptoms ... no Lions football ...
I agree man, when I played football it was about winning and hurting ppl. Esp on defense....All my coaches taught us to tackle with as much force as possible. If u knocked a player out of the next play you did a good job. Now no one wants to permanently (well, no no one) hurt someone, knocking ppl out of the game legally was all part of the coaching strategy when i played. I dunno, maybe i just had violent coaches....
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I don't think you did, WBTY. That is taught very widely.

And there can be a fine line at times; the intent is to "hurt" a player, not to injure him. Or in other words, leave him with some bruises the next day, as opposed to in an ICU in a coma from a helmet to helmet hit.