Best Before 2006

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Wally Buono has well exceeded his best before date of 2006.

In eighteen career seasons his record stands at two lost Western Semi-Finals, eight lost Western Finals, and four lost Grey Cup and four won. So out of a possible 18 chances at a run for the trophy he has but four victories. If being a brides maid is fine with you then Wally’s your guy, but the name of the game for me is nobody remembers who lost along the way of winning any given Grey Cup season.

Wally Buono has always put himself ahead of the BC Lions and goal of this team, winning the championship as often as is possible. Wally is responsible to have had the foresight to see that CFL defenses would be looking the shut down last years leading rusher in the league, and make sure the necessary adjustments in running attack are attended to by his offensive personnel.

It became painfully evident early on that his vaulted protégée at offensive coordinator (re-enter Jacque Chapdelaine) had not the capabilities nor the will to design an offense to utilize Joe Smith’s power running, by scheming a two-back running offense which had shown so much promise a season ago with the Smith and the Green / Smith and Smart combination punch.

In a game where all coaching and managerial decisions have to be made on a strictly objective basis Buono broke the cardinal rule, by getting even with Smith and his Agent for hard-ball negotiations that previous off season, and making him look incompetent with a predictable underachieving performance at tail back.

In a personal move using Joe as a scapegoat to dump the remaining lesser part of the overpriced salary agreed on in good faith, Buono for the first time in his career made a sideways deal into a jackpot, for a third scat back in a declining and disgruntled Charles Roberts, who made little to no significant contribution to the team and departed early with a season ending injury.

In our second meeting this season with our eastern rivals the Alouettes in Montreal where the Lions were loosing, but coming from behind and in the dying seconds of the game, were unable to cross the goal line on three separate consecutive attempts fumbling the game away, without the power running of Joe Smith who made a virtue of this kind of situation only a season earlier.

Fast-forward to Saturday’s game where on five separate occasions in the red zone this years version of the BC Lions were unable to covert a single touchdown. One a fumble on a quarter back draw gone wrong resulting in a turnover, and another in a repeat of the game played earlier in Montreal. This time with two different scat backs that were stuffed in our own backfield on four successive attempts to cross the goal plane. Eleven all-but-guaranteed points were shaved from the Lion’s scoreboard. Eight of those points were as sure as a Mike Pringle rumble, when Joe could sniff pay dirt ahead of him.

If there was ever a case to have sucked up your pride and kept Smith to the final game of the season this is one that delivered an overwhelming account of why Wally Buono’s General Manager's hat should be stripped away for him at the end of his current contract.

Buono had the chance to bring in someone he had worked with as a genuine offensive coordinator in the past like George Cortez, or better yet to step down and offer the head-coaching job to his old friend Dave Ritchie, or bring in John Hufnagel before Calgary could snap him up.

He instead put himself ahead of the Lions best chances to succeed because he would have been seen as loosing face to make way for another coach for the good of the team, with his precious record of most wins possibly threatened by Don Mathews again.

Wally was quoted in Calgary after the game as saying “They won. But there’s a difference between winning and beating yourself.”

That’s right Wally but you didn’t help at all to put our team in the most advantageous possible position to win, with the three-ring media circus going on around our team, and getting rid of our best chance to punch in those two critical TD’s, that were sure to have made all the difference in the end.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Big Time
Champion

So who do you suppose out there is better? Why don't you throw up Don Matthews numbers and see how they compare? He certainly worked miracles in Toronto this year. Ken Austin is undefeated in Grey Cups. He must be a genius! Let's go hire him! Hell, Doug Berry's been to the Grey Cup more recently than Wally, and he's available, maybe we should hire him!

Nobody ever said Wally was unbeatable. How do you think fans in Toronto or Hamilton would feel about having a team "fail" like the Lions have over the last five years? Fact is, I lived through the rot of an Adam Rita/Greg Mohns gong shown and despite the same number of cups won by each regime, and I'll take the Buono era every time. Be careful what you wish for.
ziggy
Legend

Big Time wrote:So who do you suppose out there is better? Why don't you throw up Don Matthews numbers and see how they compare? He certainly worked miracles in Toronto this year. Ken Austin is undefeated in Grey Cups. He must be a genius! Let's go hire him! Hell, Doug Berry's been to the Grey Cup more recently than Wally, and he's available, maybe we should hire him!

Nobody ever said Wally was unbeatable. How do you think fans in Toronto or Hamilton would feel about having a team "fail" like the Lions have over the last five years? Fact is, I lived through the rot of an Adam Rita/Greg Mohns gong shown and despite the same number of cups won by each regime, and I'll take the Buono era every time. Be careful what you wish for.
:whs:
Most folks would kill to have as little success as we have had with Wally!
almo89
Legend

Big Time wrote:So who do you suppose out there is better? Why don't you throw up Don Matthews numbers and see how they compare? He certainly worked miracles in Toronto this year. Ken Austin is undefeated in Grey Cups. He must be a genius! Let's go hire him! Hell, Doug Berry's been to the Grey Cup more recently than Wally, and he's available, maybe we should hire him!

Does anything else need to be said? You nailed it. I've suffered enough throughout the 90s. At least year in and year out, we actually get excited for the team cause they are contenders every year.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rick Ball said it well yesterday: The Lions win for the most part, and 7 years ago and more, they did not nearly as often. He cited PInball Clemons and Danny Macioccia as examples of coaches who had won GCs in the past 4 years, but are in poor shape at present (Actually I disagree with him about Edmonton; they are vastly superior to the Argos).

It's a fair trade to be competitive every year and not win oodles of Grey Cups, IMO.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Let's not be in such a rush to get rid of Wally Buono. As Big Time has noted, who is out there more qualified to assume the reign ? I've been through Dave Skrein, Jim Champion, Jim Young, Jackie Parker, Eagle Keys, Larry Donovan, Larry Kuharich, Cal Murphy, Joe Paopao, Joe Galat, Vic Rapp, Don Matthews, and Dave Ritchie as Head Coaches and I can honestly say the Lions are in the best shape ever. I too am frustrated at the loss but unless someone else is more qualified I say stay the course. I have complete faith in Buono making the necessary changes in the off season to make the Lions serious contenders again.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

PigSkin_53 wrote:Buono had the chance to bring in someone he had worked with as a genuine offensive coordinator in the past like George Cortez, or better yet to step down and offer the head-coaching job to his old friend Dave Ritchie, or bring in John Hufnagel before Calgary could snap him up.
Sorry Keith but if Wally's best before date is 2006 I'd place Dave Ritchie's BBD as HC at around 1997. I didn't think much of his stint as Winnipeg HC. Lots of ranting and attempting to play the old "the whole world is against us, especially the refs" card constantly through his tenure. In the end all the Bombers did was lead the league in undisciplined penalties. The last thing I want is a septegenarian head coach on my team for anything other than a stop-gap measure. As a DC though he was outstanding and still capable at his advanced age. Hufnagel wound up with effectively the same position as Buono; GM & HC. I'm not sure he would've come north for anything less than the dual role, a role that clearly would not be available in Vancouver. Cortez? Under contract already at the time? Is he the next Buono or the next Stubler? Great AC but maybe not a good HC. Doesn't really matter as Buono was nowhere near ready to punt himself upstairs then and he isn't ready now.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Let's not be in such a rush to get rid of Wally Buono. As Big Time has noted, who is out there more qualified to assume the reign ? I've been through Dave Skrein, Jim Champion, Jim Young, Jackie Parker, Eagle Keys, Larry Donovan, Larry Kuharich, Cal Murphy, Joe Paopao, Joe Galat, Vic Rapp, Don Matthews, and Dave Ritchie as Head Coaches and I can honestly say the Lions are in the best shape ever. I too am frustrated at the loss but unless someone else is more qualified I say stay the course. I have complete faith in Buono making the necessary changes in the off season to make the Lions serious contenders again.
I'm with you LK. We stumbled a bit to start the season and dug a hole that was tough to climb out of. With a young QB who didn't get established as the starter until part way through the season and had zero previous experience as a playoff starter we were literally one play away from being in the Grey Cup. Yet some figure that is cause to blow the whole thing up.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

In the CFL any team on a three game winning streak can become Grey Cup Champions. It matters little what happens during the regular season, as long as you are better than the two worst teams in the league in the W-L department. But winning a championship does not make your franchise a success, nor does it guarantee long term stability and a place at the upper echelon of the league for years to come.

Yes, I feel we could probably have won 3 Grey Cups over the past 5 years, but other than Montreal what other team in the CFL can also say that? And under Wally's leadership the LIons have been a legitimate threat to win the Grey Cup every season! We've not had to say "you know if this team gets lucky in the playoffs we could..." instead we've gone into each season thinking WE SHOULD win. Yes, I would like to see a few more banners hanging from the rafters of BC Place, but I much prefer to know that my beloved Lions are a well managed, well coached team that I can count on to be extremely competitive year after year after year.

The nature of sports is such that the day will ultimately come when Wally will need to step aside or be replaced, but that day is not anywhere near today.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

if every coach could say they won 4 cups out of 18 yrs, there would not be enough cups to go around. If you dont think 4 cups is good enough, then you probably dont stay in marriages very long.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The expectations on the Lions are high since the arrival of Wally Buono. We expect to win or contend for the Grey Cup. Prior to Buono's arrival, a good season is hoping to make the playoffs. How spoiled we all have become.
Tighthead
Legend

One reason that expectations have been so high is that we have clearly been the most talented team for five years. In a sense, one title is underachieving. Now, other teams have improved, and we may have crested. I don't know if Wally can win without a stacked deck (which he deserves credit for stacking). Ultimately, this recent era will be remembered for stability, but also underachievement.

Someone on the post game (or maybe LU) made the observation that Wally's teams always seem uptight in the playoffs. 2006 WF was the only time our talent really flowed for a dominant playoff victory.

If Wally had a protege ready to step in, I would want such a move. I don't see anyone as being ready - espcially JC.

BCL makes a good point - GC champs are often teams that get hot and a little lucky. In many ways, it is easier to "fluke" into a title, and the dominant teams often get left out.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

no powerhouse team ever underacheived over as long a period as the 66-76 sask riders...arrrggggg They shoulda had at least 5 cups, if not 7.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:no powerhouse team ever underacheived over as long a period as the 66-76 sask riders...arrrggggg They shoulda had at least 5 cups, if not 7.
Ottawa was a far better club than Sask for most of that time. Ottawa may have underachieved in 1966 due to the death of Coach Smith, but we owned Saskatchewan for most of that time, IMO.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:no powerhouse team ever underacheived over as long a period as the 66-76 sask riders...arrrggggg They shoulda had at least 5 cups, if not 7.
Ottawa was a far better club than Sask for most of that time. Ottawa may have underachieved in 1966 due to the death of Coach Smith, but we owned Saskatchewan for most of that time, IMO.
my riders are better than yours..naah naah naah :yes: :lol: :wink: