How does the defence get better in a week?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

Not trying to be an ass about this guys but is it possible to improve enough to make a run in the playoffs when there has been big play after missed tackle all season? I can't believe these guys have lost their ability to tackle so IS the problem desire, coaching etc? :sigh:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That's the $64,000 question.
lion24
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:That's the $64,000 question.
All I can afford to give you is $64 for the answer ? :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
ziggy
Legend

Could start by making some tackles and hits.
Blitz
Team Captain

Here it is...and it's simple

You take Coleman out of the lineup on offence, with Clermont coming back in, but you leave Paris Jackson in the slot or use him there a lot.

On defense you

1) take Ty Williams out of the lineup and start Gibbs at defensive tackle. He's fresh, he's big, and he could get more penetration
2) you alternate Foley and Brent Johnson at defensive end and keep Foley in there if he is getting more pressure than Johnson
3) you activate Terna Nende at linebacker and play Jamal Johnson, Nende, and Floyd, with Floyd coming off on passing donws and Glatt coming in.
4) you start Tad Crawford at safety, use B.J. Tucker as the dime back and only use Barrin Miles as the eighth back and for a few packages on second and very long.

If something isn't working (and it's not) it's stupid to think that it's just going to change by hoping to dial up the intensity. Benevedes also needs to have our defence play more aggressive which neans Wally does). We need more of a Ritrchie style back there and the changes I'm suggesting would improve our team speed and allow us to play that way...
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Wakefan
prospect

I completely agree with you there Blitz. The athletes we have on defence right now, and we need to get younger and faster. Crawford, Nande, and Gibbs would at the very least play with more energy and speed than the current players. They may make some assignment errors, but I would rather have that than watching guys who suck!
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Blitz wrote:Here it is...and it's simple

You take Coleman out of the lineup on offence, with Clermont coming back in, but you leave Paris Jackson in the slot or use him there a lot.

On defense you

1) take Ty Williams out of the lineup and start Gibbs at defensive tackle. He's fresh, he's big, and he could get more penetration
2) you alternate Foley and Brent Johnson at defensive end and keep Foley in there if he is getting more pressure than Johnson
3) you activate Terna Nende at linebacker and play Jamal Johnson, Nende, and Floyd, with Floyd coming off on passing donws and Glatt coming in.
4) you start Tad Crawford at safety, use B.J. Tucker as the dime back and only use Barrin Miles as the eighth back and for a few packages on second and very long.

If something isn't working (and it's not) it's stupid to think that it's just going to change by hoping to dial up the intensity. Benevedes also needs to have our defence play more aggressive which neans Wally does). We need more of a Ritrchie style back there and the changes I'm suggesting would improve our team speed and allow us to play that way...

Yes, Blitz....this is wally, wanna come on and be our d-coordinator? good ideas.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

On defense you

The problem with making so many changes is the timing. The players aren't used to playing with one another. Practice is one thing, live action is totally different. I do concur with you that Benevides need to be more aggressive on defence. Force the offence to do things they don't want to do.
David
Team Captain

I don't know that we should be making wholesale changes in the first game of the playoffs, but I do agree that these would be great changes for next season, Blitz!

I was thinking yesterday after the game that it would be great to get LB Terna Nande into the lineup. He could be the big run stopper and fresh set of legs that we need to stop Cates, Hughes, and Foorde.

I would also like to see Ricky Foley used far more in the rotation.

(I've been calling for Crawford to be used more at safety this season but in the biggest game of the season, I don't know that he has enough experience to start at such a pivotal position).

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anyone remember Don Matthews starting two new rookies on the corners in the Grey Cup ? They got torched. To be making wholesale changes at this time of year smack of total desperation.
ziggy
Legend

At this stage you got to play the hand you've been dealt. Get them back to basics.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:

On defense you

The problem with making so many changes is the timing. The players aren't used to playing with one another. Practice is one thing, live action is totally different. I do concur with you that Benevides need to be more aggressive on defence. Force the offence to do things they don't want to do.
I don't think it's a lot of changes. Ty Williams just had a horrible game, he never gets penetration anymore, and the defensive line could handle his insertion easily. Foley plays defensive end so its really no change at all, outiside of Brent Johnson practicing standing on the sidellines a little longer during a game.

Tad Crawford is Miles backup and knows how to play safety. He's faster than Miles, can cover more territory, and is a much better tackler than Miles.

Inserting Nende would allow us to move Jamal Johnson into the middle, where he could track down a quarterback who tries to take off and scrape and step into some gaps to help shut down an opposition running attack. Foley deserves more reps and giving him some of Brent Johnson's might get Brent going.

Really, it's only three changes, one on the defensive line, one at linebacker, and one in the defensive backfield, where Crawford is already prepared to play. It increases our team speed at linebacker and in the defensive backfield and gives us the opportunity to get more pressure on the quarterback.

We could also hire Ritchie back as a consultant for the playoffs but Wally would never do that. However, we'vre reverted back to a passive defence that is not a reflection of a Dave Ritchie defense.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:I don't know that we should be making wholesale changes in the first game of the playoffs, but I do agree that these would be great changes for next season, Blitz!

I was thinking yesterday after the game that it would be great to get LB Terna Nande into the lineup. He could be the big run stopper and fresh set of legs that we need to stop Cates, Hughes, and Foorde.

I would also like to see Ricky Foley used far more in the rotation.

(I've been calling for Crawford to be used more at safety this season but in the biggest game of the season, I don't know that he has enough experience to start at such a pivotal position).

DH 8)
Well, a lesser approach would be to still insert Gibbs for Ty Williiams, move Jamal Johnson into the middle and move Glatt outside on first down, and play Crawford more at safety, or at least insert him in for Miles for a series or two to see how he does.

I don't think inserting Gibbs would do any harm and would likely do some good. Lazeo has seriously kicked Williams butt on two occasions this season. We have to get Glatt out of the middle.....I don't have one sliver of doubt in my mind. Miles does not have the range at safety anymore....you're giving up a lot by playing him...even with his experience.

The only good thing about playing the Riders is that they don't have a great offence. However, we're going to have to score points against that very good defense. Don't think that Richie Hall is going to let Buck nickel and dime them easily either.
pennw
Legend

Some good ideas , but I suspect it will be the same old thing . WB , as of late , does not seem to like change .
The one positive change they did make last game was the way Logan was used , hope to see lots more of that.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

If we're so good back there (secondary), why not play more man to man?? This zone coverage is really exposing us real bad. Play more aggresive with man to man. :yes: