The Rematch-Getting Better Prepared for the Evil Empire!!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Bang a gong….let’s go crazy!! The Evil Empire comes to town, likely feeling mighty good about themselves after their come from behind victory last week at Commonwealth.

Well, they won’t be able to throw water on the turf at B.C. Place and team speed, rather than the right kind of cleats, will have more of an impact upon the game!

Huey Campbell won’t be here to intimidate officials down on the sidelines, his son Rich will be coaching a defense that can be exploited, and Danny Boy may be feeling like his future is a little brighter these days as Rick Worman retools his offence but we can shut down those dreams of glory again a little with a huge effort.

I expect a huge effort by our Leos team. A players only meeting, the first in three seasons, has our squad ready to really play for each other. If they are complimented by a good game plan and play calling, and can get rid of the dropped passes, missed assignments, and dum penalties that have plagued us so far this season, I anticipate victory over those ugly green and yellow ( I refuse to call it gold) Alberta boys!

Lets look at the matchups...

QUARTERBACK :toss:

Ricky Ray is playing with renewed confidence in Rick Worman’s offensive scheme. He’s already passed for almost 2000 yards this season..an impressive clip. His passing percentage is around 66%. He’s thrown for 8 touchdowns with only 3 interceptions and has a 102 quarterback effciency.

However, Ricky Ray had impressive numbers last season and still the Eskimos lost. However, more than stats, Ricky Ray is a more dangerous quarterback this year.

Jarious Jackson’s numbers, overall are less impressive. Of course he’s also a less experienced quarterback who also challenges deep more often, resulting in a lower passing percentage and quarterback efficiency numbers. However, Jackson has thrown more touchdown passes (9) and has thrown for over 1500 yards, with a little over 57% in passing completion average.

However, Jackson has thrown 9 interceptions this season, a result of throwing too often into double coverage, blown routes, and too many second and longs.

Jackson only threw 10 interceptions in his eleven games last season. We need to get this changed and the best way is to run the football better, like last season, avoid so many second and longs, and have Jackson throw the football less often.

OFFENSIVE LINE :s:

Edmonton’s offensive line is second best in terms of lowest number of times Ricky Ray has been sacked. Edmonton tied for seventh in the league last season, in terms of giving up quarterback sacks.

In the meantime our offensive line, which led the league in terms of not getting our quarterbacks sacked last season, until Game 18, and came in second, is now seventh in the league, in terms of allowing quarterback sacks.

Jason Jiminez said our offensive line has the best ranking of any Leos unit…at over 94% grade. That leads me to a belief that our scheme this season, along with our play calling, is a factor. Our reduced effectiveness in the running attack only adds to the problem.

If we want to beat Edmonton on Friday night our offensive line has to continue to grade out well while our offensive scheme has to help the league’s best offensive line last season, in terms of both the running game and protecting the quarterback, be able to shine again.

RUNNING BACKS :juggle:

Edmonton’s Harris comes into the game with the most rushing yards of both teams, with 253 yards and a 5.4 average per carry. Joe Smith had 236 yards and a 4.3 average but won’t play. Stefan Logan, who will replace Smith has 220 yards in two games and a 6.9 average, but that average is deceiving, due to a 66 yard romp in his first game played this season.

This season we used Joe Smith for four games and Stefan Logan for two. Both backs have different styles of play. Logan is a speed back who is tough for a small guy. Smith is a bruising powerful runner when he gets a hole. If we want our running game to be successful we’ll need to give Logan a lead blocker from the fullback position at times when he runs inside. We’ll also need to use Lyle Green or Lambala at tailback on second and long to protect Jarious.

Last season Edmonton finished dead last in rushing while we finished first in rushing and rushing touchdowns. Edmonton’s rushing effectiveness hasn’t changed much so far this season, except for the red zone, where they’ve improved dramatically. In the meantime, we’ve gone from being the best in the league in rushing and rushing touchdowns to fourth in rushing and dead last so far in rushing touchdowns. We have to get better at running the football but even more importantly we need to commit to running the football in the red zone and also executing better as well in that situation.

RECEIVING :football:

We’ve moved up one spot from sixth last season to fifth so far this season in passing yards. Last season Geroy Simon finished first in receiving yards and Clermont finished third. We go into this game without our best receiver for the second game in a row against the Evil Empire and that hurts.

Simon was fourth in receiving yards this season but he had also missed a game. However Clermont so far this season is 21st in receiving, dropping 18 spots so far. Paris Jackson has picked up from last season and is presently fifth in the league in receiving, moving up so far from the fourteenth position last season.

However, with inconsistent play from our fourth and fifth receiving spots so far this year and lacking a deep threat so far from either one, our passing game will be handicapped unless we can get improved production from these two spots. Last game Coleman snagged seven catches and will need another big game.

KEY POINT

Passing yards, rushing yards, sacks, quarterback efficiency, all help at times to provide a picture. However, the bottom line, is points on the board. Last season we were the best in the league at scoring both touchdowns and points. This season we’re fifth and we’ve also punted the most times in the league. Last season we punted the football the least number of times.

Blame it on the players or blame it on the scheme and play calling. It’s some of both but you all know my thoughts. Our scheme and play calling are by far the most responsible. My bet is that our scheme will be a little better offensively this week and our players will be a lot better. That should be enough to overcome the handicaps our scheme puts on them offensively.

DEFENSIVE LINE :s:

Our Leos have the best defensive line in the league. That’s not only my view but the consensus view of players across the league. We’re second in the league this season in sacking the quarterback this year, after finishing first in that category last season.

Our defense has been the major strength of our team. In 2005 they were the key reason for our winning streak and had a let down in the last few games of the season because we couldn’t find a quality defensive back for a number of games to fill in for an injured Mark Washington until we traded for one. In 2006 our defense was the best defense in the league and the major reason we won the Grey Cup.

In 2007 our defense slipped to fourth overall, statistically, but only gave up the second number of points in the league as we were tough in the red zone..However, in 2007 our offence controlled the football better, punted it the least and scored the most number of points.

This season, statistically our defense has improved in most categories except one..we’re sixth in points given up and are giving up an average of 27.7 points per game vs 19.8 points per game last season. There are two major reasons. The first is that we’ve given up too many big plays. The second reason is that CFL offences are both more talented and more innovative this year so far.

Our defensive line has the two best defensive ends in football in Wake and Johnson. Ty Williams is an outstanding defensive tackle and Hunt is also a very talented defensive lineman. Wake and Johnson lead the league again in quarterback sacks.

However, Edmonton’s Romero, Murphy, and Claybrooks have all gotten to the quarterback successfully so far this season.

LINEBACKER :juggle:

If there is an area of improvement required for our Leos it’s the play of our linebackers, especially against opposition team’s running attack.

In 2005 we gave up 93 yards rushing per game and reduced that to 90 yards in our Grey Cup champion season. Last season we gave up an average of over 100 yards rushing per game…for the first time in three seasons at 106 yards per game and we’re worse this year at 109 yards per game.

We need to solve this. We could do this by being better situationally by using Jamal Johnson, the team’s best open field tackler more on first down. Otis Floyd, who was so outstanding in 2006 needs to step up his game. Javy Glatt often struggles against the run and he occupies the middle most of the time.

Linebacker has been such an area of great tradition with our Leos. Glatt is excellent at pass defense but outside of that, our linebacking right now is the area of our defense that needs improvement. Edmonton counters with Shabazz, Garrett, and Barrenechea in the middle

DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD :beauty:

Marsh, Banks, Miles, Phillips, and Glover usually spell huge problems for opposition offences. Crawford, Myles, and Dennis provide extra help in passing situations. We’re leading the league in interceptions again this season but Edmonton has improved in this category and are second behind us as Edmonton’s Younger, Williams, Okpro, Buhl, and Jackson are an improving secondary.

We’re the third best against the pass this season. However, we have to tackle better and we can’t allow opposition receivers to get wide open against us as they have too many times this season. It means a more disciplined approach by our defensive backfield, who may be taking too many liberties with Mark Washington early that would have had their butts chewed out by Ritchie or not thought about doing it at all. However, they have identified the problem and are now planning to get if fixed.

SPECIAL TEAMS :wag:

Jamal Johnson and Jason Pottinger are tied for second in the league for most special tams tackles with 10 to date. Arakgi has an impressive 7 special teams tackles, placing him in the top 10 in the league and Foley is only one special team tackle behind.

Edmonton’s Clutts is tied with Johnson and Pottinger as one of the best special team tacklers in the league and we need to give him some special blocking attention.

Ian Smart leads the league in kickoff returns with a 26.3 average but has dropped to third in the league in punt returns. Edmonton’s Jackson is second in the league in punt returns and has greater than a three yard average over Smart this season. We look like we’re missing Benevedes coaching on punt returns but penalties haven’t helped.

This is an area we also need to focus on for improvement.

WRAP

It’s the Evil Empire again on Friday night….a reason to be pumped, to seek revenge for last week, to not let these Eskies start to have hope again. We’ve put them down for the past two seasons. They were down last Friday and we didn’t put the dagger into the heart. This week we need to get them down, keep them down, and extuinguish any dreams of past glory!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Kamloops Lion
All Star

As always, reading Blitz's pregame analysis is as educational as it is entertaining.
I might print it out to brush up on things as kickoff approaches:

So, after tomorrow night, the West looks like this:
1) Regina 6-1
2) Edmonton 4-3
3) Calgary 4-3
4) BC 4-3

That leaves God's team two games behind the gophers.
The real season now begins.
Pack away the toys and put away the dreams:

Friday, Aug. 8, 2008:
Edmonton: 17 at BC 34
Rammer
Team Captain

Kamloops Lion wrote:As always, reading Blitz's pregame analysis is as educational as it is entertaining.

1) Regina 6-1
2) Edmonton 4-3
3) Calgary 4-3
4) BC 4-3

Friday, Aug. 8, 2008:
Wow the Stamps just about crapped the bed after leading by 30 - 4, narrowly hanging onto a 5 point victory.

I was on mind that the Riders were going to take the West, but that loss and a Lions team on a roll come September would create some possibilities for consideration to taking first. Of course that is down the road, the Esks are at hand and given what transpired tonight, the Lions need a win or are in last place by themselves looking upwards to the West.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Kamloops Lion wrote:As always, reading Blitz's pregame analysis is as educational as it is entertaining.

1) Regina 6-1
2) Edmonton 4-3
3) Calgary 4-3
4) BC 4-3

Friday, Aug. 8, 2008:
Wow the Stamps just about crapped the bed after leading by 30 - 4, narrowly hanging onto a 5 point victory.
but
I was on mind that the Riders were going to take the West, but that loss and a Lions team on a roll come September would create some possibilities for consideration to taking first. Of course that is down talhe road, the Esks areata at hand and given what transpired tonight, the Lions need a win or are in last place by themselves looking upwards to the West.
Rammer, we didn't do our usual pre-season predictions for placing in the West. While I wasn't as down on the Riders as many were after getting rid of Joseph (an overrated quarterback in my view) or losing Fred Perry but I certainly didn't expect this type of early season result out of the Riders and what they've been able to overcome, in terms of injury. I cursed when Calgary traded Wes Cates to the Riders because he was exactly what the Rders needed.

I expected Calgary to be improved with Hufnagel arriving, along with Jones from Montreal, I expected Edmonton to be better with Worman running Edmonton's offence, and I expected our Leos to be less effective offensively with Chapdelaine arriving back to call plays and have a lot of influence on our offence.

What I didn't expect was that Edmonton and Saskatchewan to do such a good job of briinging in some good receivers while I certainly thought that Shivers would be able to find us at least one tall, fast, deep threat receiver...and he's done a dismal job.
So, as we pass the 1/3 point of the season, things are looking less bright for a Leos team that most expected to be the best team in the country this season and is certainly, still, overall the most talented.

We really need to win tonite...it may still be early, but especially with the players meeting this week..it's a defining game!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Rammer wrote:

1) Regina 6-1
2) Edmonton 4-3
3) Calgary 4-3
4) BC 4-3

Friday, Aug. 8, 2008:
but
I was on mind that the Riders were going to take the West, but that loss and a Lions team on a roll come September would create some possibilities for consideration to taking first. Of course that is down talhe road, the Esks areata at hand and given what transpired tonight, the Lions need a win or are in last place by themselves looking upwards to the West.
Rammer, we didn't do our usual pre-season predictions for placing in the West. While I wasn't as down on the Riders as many were after getting rid of Joseph (an overrated quarterback in my view) or losing Fred Perry but I certainly didn't expect this type of early season result out of the Riders and what they've been able to overcome, in terms of injury. I cursed when Calgary traded Wes Cates to the Riders because he was exactly what the Rders needed.

I expected Calgary to be improved with Hufnagel arriving, along with Jones from Montreal, I expected Edmonton to be better with Worman running Edmonton's offence, and I expected our Leos to be less effective offensively with Chapdelaine arriving back to call plays and have a lot of influence on our offence.

What I didn't expect was that Edmonton and Saskatchewan to do such a good job of briinging in some good receivers while I certainly thought that Shivers would be able to find us at least one tall, fast, deep threat receiver...and he's done a dismal job.
So, as we pass the 1/3 point of the season, things are looking less bright for a Leos team that most expected to be the best team in the country this season and is certainly, still, overall the most talented.

We really need to win tonite...it may still be early, but especially with the players meeting this week..it's a defining game!!
Well Blitz, I put the Riders and Lions at the front of the pack, basing that on both teams D's. Then the Stamps with some improvements followed and pushed by Edmonton, that may still unfold, but I sure didn't see the Riders doing as well without Crandell for some games and the host of other injuries especially Fantuz and Dominguez.

Edmonton made soooo many changes, I couldn't see Maciocia putting that collective group together as quickly as they have, yet NI problems are going to hurt them in the end as the season takes it toll and backups become starters. So I am still comfortable with where I had originally placed them, but they made a large step forward this season.

Lions talent/depth has to rise at some point especially as teams get nicked, but the Riders have been lucky to get some wins and get game experience to their depth, they will only get stronger as the long term injured return to the lineup. If the Lions are lucky they will get to battle the Riders in the final weeks.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sirona
prospect

Blitz..amazing that the one player you are always so down on(Jay Pottinger) is tied for second in the league with the player (Jamal Johnson) you so admire. I guess he is of some use to the team if he is making special team tackles. Pottinger has also been battling ankle injury and extended elbow injury all year so I think he is showing how he wants to play well for the team. He is not so strong on the pass but he is one of the best run stoppers if given the chance to play. It is always harder for any Canadian player to make it in this league , ask any Canadian player. Everyone including fans seem to doubt them so easily.
Blitz
Team Captain

Sirona wrote:Blitz..amazing that the one player you are always so down on(Jay Pottinger) is tied for second in the league with the player (Jamal Johnson) you so admire. I guess he is of some use to the team if he is making special team tackles. Pottinger has also been battling ankle injury and extended elbow injury all year so I think he is showing how he wants to play well for the team. He is not so strong on the pass but he is one of the best run stoppers if given the chance to play. It is always harder for any Canadian player to make it in this league , ask any Canadian player. Everyone including fans seem to doubt them so easily.
I'm not down on Pottinger as much as I believe Jamal should be playing more and that includes getting more reps in the middle than Glatt, who I've suggested he replace on some first downs and especially on first down against running teams. I've also suggested that Jamal Johnson be in the game with Glatt on second downs, since Glatt is so good against the pass and much better than Floyd against the pass.

Jay Pottinger is a Canadian and Jamal Johnson has been the designated import. That means that Ty Williams or Aaron Hunt or Otis Floyd has to come off if Johnson goes in (or Foley replaces Cameron Wake for some reps) If Jamal is in there for Williams or Hunt or Wake then we can play Floyd and Johnson together. The only other scenario is for Floyd to come off. However, what I don't believe is that Pottinger is a better linebacker than Johnson but I also believe Jamal right now is better than Floyd or Glatt, outside of Glatt's pass defense. There is no question that I'm very high on Jamal Johnson. What I didn't know, last game, was that Johnson was the designated import so I didn't understand why we would have Pottinger taking more reps than Johnson but now I do.

However, I can't recall posting very often about Jay Pottinger, outside of last game, when I questioned us giving him reps over Johnson and now I understand better why. I also love to see rotations on defense and have often posted that I believe Foley should get more reps as I did with McKay-Lauscher when he was here. I obviously have a very stong bias regarding Jamal Johnson's talent. That doesn't mean that I'm down on Jay Pottinger..it's more than I just think that Johnson is our most talented linebacker.

I agree with you that Pottinger is a better run stopper than Glatt and we are in a better position to have Pottinger in there, on first downs, especially against a running team than Glatt, if we want to leave Williams, Hunt, and Floyd out there. In fact, in terms of pure size, right now Pottinger is more of a classic run stopping middle linebacker than anyone we have. It might even be interesting to see how we would do against the run with both Pottinger and Johnson in there together against a team that likes to run because Pottinger is not a guy an offensive lineman can blow out of there while Johnson is excellent at scraping and exploding up into the gap.

I realize that Jay Pottinger is right up there with Johnson on special teams. I actually like to see Canadian linebackers be successful and remember well the days of Kevin Konar and Glenn Jackson. In fact I wrote often for Glatt to be a starter at outside linebacker well before he became our starting middle linebacker. However, I really wish there was a way to get Johnson more reps and unfortunately the cost of having three import receivers right now is the reason why we can't do that easily.

However, Canadian or non-Canadian I would love to see us be able to play guys that can really make a difference and I believe, rightly or wrongly, that Jamal Johnson can do that. Carl Kidd was my favorite player on defense for years but there was a time when I believed we needed to get younger at linebacker. What we really need to do is find a Canadian receiver, to compliment Jackson and Clermont. We used to be able to do that but right now we don't seem to have that person. The plan was for Boden to do that but of course that plan didn't work out.