Official Game Day Thread: July 11 BC at Winnipeg

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The fact that no one has started a game day thread yet probably speaks to where most of our hearts and heads are at right now. Personally, It's hard to get excited for this game tonight and it has nothing to do with being 0-2. But at the same time I am looking forward to kick-off because that will be the ultimate demonstration that Bobby Ackles' legacy will live on.

It's been a very emotional week for all of us in this little community we call Lionbackers. Regardless of how much we sometimes annoy each other with rants about attendance, appropriate condolences, The Chap, etc., our participation in this board is in itself is a tremendous tribute to Bobby Ackles. No one will ever match the passion he had for the BC Lions, but I'm sure the fact that we all care enough to come here as much as we do to talk about football made him happy.

Here's hoping the Lions play well tonight. Go Lions.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

:whs: couldnt have said it better, GO LIONS GO!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Bosco
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Regardless of how much we sometimes annoy each other with rants about attendance, appropriate condolences, .
We annoy each other? :roar:

Looking forward to tonight's game. Hopefully, the Lions can back to their winning ways, and our offense can finally get untracked. :cr:

Also looking for big games from Jarious Jackson and Stefan Logan. It will be interesting to see if JJ can get over his opening quarter yips, and how Logan is utilized throughout the game.

27- 24 Lions.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Show time for Jarius Jackson. Go big, or go home.

Defence - 4 quarters please. Floyd, Glatt Pottinger etc? Game time.

0 and 3 will lead to 0 and 4. Not acceptable.

Roar Lions....................................please.
D
Team Captain

Watch for a 30 minute Bob Ackles tribute on TSN prior to the game
I own The Grey Cup! .com
757hokiegirl
prospect

I believe it was last game where someone posted a link to watch the game online... does anyone know what that website is?? Y'all know I need to watch this game tonight! :)

Thank you!! Go Lions! :)
[fade]"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the one's you did. Explore, dream, discover."
Mark Twain
[/fade]
valleybear
prospect

This team is tired of getting beat. 17-31 Leo's
Too important of a game with the passing of Mr. Ackles to not show up for. looking forward to see what tribute TSN has put together.
LFITQ
Team Captain

D wrote:Watch for a 30 minute Bob Ackles tribute on TSN prior to the game
Will be DVD recording that one for sure!
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
smithers

I watched last weeks game live, via the internet, on TSN Broadband, but I remember the link not being obvious. I can't find the link for tonight's game yet. If anyone finds it, please post it. Maybe TSN just did the live games for the first couples of weeks? But if you go to the "purchase" live games link on cfl.ca, it says you can't even buy the games if you live in Canada, because they are carried for free on TSN Broadband, but doesn't have exactly where to find the links.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
The good news.......I'm in Winnipeg and will be attending the game.........the bad news is that I'm nowhere near my DVR and will miss the tribute.......hopefully TSN will make it available on their website in it's entirety.
Lloyd
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
LFITQ wrote:
The good news.......I'm in Winnipeg and will be attending the game.........the bad news is that I'm nowhere near my DVR and will miss the tribute.......hopefully TSN will make it available on their website in it's entirety.
You can bet on it Lloyd, at lease in part, but hopefully maybe it will become available on the Jumbotron @ Canad Inns Stadium, as it should be seeing as it's our televised game tonight.

It's high time our guys stopped play five and six receiver, ace back pat-a-cake with the opposition and get back to the inside zone rumbles (Lyle Green tonight Rory Lumbala), and counters, delayed fake and go vertical passes, the pitch outs, shovel passes and the in your face offence we had last season.

If nothing else it afforded us enough points on scoreboard our D can get inspired for a change.

These guys to a man owe this game win to the memory of Bobby Ackles, and for God's sake I pray they don't let him down, as they have the last two weeks.

Lions over Bombers 25 -19

Roar you Lions everywhere!!! :yahoo:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Pigskin... the very last thing this team needs to feel is pressure to win for the memory of Bobby Ackles. If anything that 60 minutes of play should be time to take their minds off this sad loss.

This team needs to play hard, play smart and execute without a lot of errors.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Tonight I will be looking for a few things.

One of which, and perhaps the most important to me, is focus by the players. The last few weeks the players have not been the most focussed on their job and their execution has shown it. Now with the saddness of the past few days added to it, the players will need to concetrate even more to keep their focus on what they are supposed to be doing. Even if a win doesn't come along, if the players are showing focus that will be something to build on for next week and can show a glimmer of hope.

Offensive Gameplan. This is the second thing I will be watching tonight. I am not expecting a lot trickery or gimmick plays as with all that has gone on this week, there hasn't been a lot of time to learn a bunch of new special complicated plays. I am expecting a very basic offensive gameplan and get these guys back to basics. Not an overly amount of complicated crossing patterns and blocking schemes, but just back to basic, run, block, pass and catch. You can come up with a pretty large playbook when you just break things down to their fundamentals. Let the players play to their strengths. Make them make the big plays, let the players do what they do best. At this time any "scheme" or methodology would be out IMHO. I would simplify things so the players natural instincts can take over. These guys have been playing a long time and many of them have been playing with each for a long time, let those connections take over. To me this will be the true test of the offensive coaching staff (Dorazio, Kruck, Chaps). Can they put together a gameplan that will utilize the players natural talents and let the players do what they do best, or will they try and handcuff the players and make things too complicated at this point in time? It will all go back to my first point if the coaching staff puts together the plan that will let the players excel - execution by the players.

Defense. Here I am looking to see if we are going to continue to keep the middle wide open and keep getting killed in that area, or have reactivated Jamal Johnson so he can plug it up and prevent the opposition from continuing to exploit our weakness there. Last week showed that our Dline has found itself. It looked to me that a large part of that came from the rotation that seemed to be occurring. However, the middle of the field let the Dline down by the end of the game. We had Floyd and Glatt out there, supposedly, but they were no where to be seen. So far this year our Linebacking corps has been MIA. Now if that is personnel or scheming, I'm still uncertain, but based on previous years and the fact we haven't made many changes there, I would think that we have found Benevides' weak point in his defensive gameplan. Hopefully he satdown and will, much like the offensive gameplan, jsut go back to basics and let the players play. I think a basic approach is probably best. Don't let one aspect down because of a weak scheme in another area. Last week our coverage was good, and dline was good, it was just the middle of the field being completely vacated by defenders that hurt us.

Special teams. I wouldn't do too much differently, other than helping players execute by making sure there is communication and everyone knows their assignments. This one seems to be more related to my first point - focus - than any scheming or gameplanning per se.

The bottom line here is for focus, execution and get back to basics. Those are the 3 things I want to see tonight.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
runningback
prospect

should be a great game tonight...good luck to both teams, someone is going to get their first win and I think it will be the Lions!!
joesports
All Star

And the pre-game tribute to Bob on TSN is starting...... :sigh: