Let's get 60,000 for Bob Ackles night July 18

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

firstdown45

Can we get 60,000 for Bob Ackles night on the 18th?

How can they reduce the ticket prices to jam as many into the Stadium as they can?
chimpy

They are not going to reduce ticket prices and they are not going to sell it out either, i say we will get around 45,000

But it does not mater how many come, as long as they put on an excellent tribute to him.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

firstdown45 wrote: How can they reduce the ticket prices to jam as many into the Stadium as they can?
Not going to happen. What about the season ticket holders who paid the regular price for their seats ? How would they feel ?
firstdown45

Then keep prices where they are and we should still get 55,000
chimpy

there is no way there are going to get 55,000 they would have to start selling tickets like hot cakes right know.

To hit that mark they would have to sell 45,000 by this weekend, and i can not see that hapenning. noting against bob ackles at all but the team is not there yet.
Dieter
Rookie

I just bought mine, I'll be driving down from Kelowna. I'll be saluting Bob and then cheering for my Bombers. (Bob said it was okay not to cheer for the Lions as long as I was cheering for a CFL team and I bought a ticket :beauty: )
Ravi
Legend

chimpy wrote:there is no way there are going to get 55,000 they would have to start selling tickets like hot cakes right know.

To hit that mark they would have to sell 45,000 by this weekend, and i can not see that hapenning. noting against bob ackles at all but the team is not there yet.
Well, Wally has invited anyone who has ever attended a Lions game or ever been touched by Bob Ackles to come to that next home game. In fact, Wally said that the best way to honour Ackles would be to pack the stadium so we shall see how Vancouver and B.C. respond over the next couple of weeks. It would be great to see Krazy George back that night as well as wasn't it Ackles' idea to bring him in way back in the 1970s?
chimpy

i will be there too i will not miss this for world and bringing back Crazy George would be the thing to do also bring back maybe some old players old coaches, the people that ment a lot to him and lets make this an huge event.

This what he would want.

I am getting all choked up just thunking about it.
xon100
Starter

The next home game is the only game I can not make it to this season. I already gave my tickets away. But I dohope everyone there remebers him. My wife was already talking about how she spoke to him at the last game.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
chimpy wrote:there is no way there are going to get 55,000 they would have to start selling tickets like hot cakes right know.

Well, Wally has invited anyone who has ever attended a Lions game or ever been touched by Bob Ackles to come to that next home game. In fact, Wally said that the best way to honour Ackles would be to pack the stadium so we shall see how Vancouver and B.C. respond over the next couple of weeks. It would be great to see Krazy George back that night as well as wasn't it Ackles' idea to bring him in way back in the 1970s?
Krazy George doesn't really do big stadiums anymore; he's getting up there in years so he only works sporadically at much smaller venues these days, minor league baseball parks and such. All the same, I could imagine him maybe appearing as a show of respect, but not in the cheerleader role for which he's widely remembered by fans who date back to that era. He actually did make one appearance in that capacity very soon after Ackles's return to the club as Pres/CEO, but the crowd wasn't really "with" him that night; I would suspect many present were too young to remember his glory days.

Deadspin had a fairly reverent article about/interview with KG last month:

http://deadspin.com/5013342/still-krazy ... hese-years
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I originally wasn't planning on attending this game. With 3 games this month I knew that I'd probably only be able to get to two and the 25th would have fit in much better with my schedule. However, with the circumstances, I know that I would just never forgive myself if I missed this opportunity so I'm going to try and re-arrange my schedule a bit to ensure that I am there on July 18th to celebrate Bob's wonderful life.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

interesting, and a little concerning.

it just so happens that the 18th is the Game that many from my kids Martial Arts School will be at that game. Also, my wife, son and in-laws will be there because they are from Winnipeg. It was a tough choice for my son to decide who to sit with.

I am concerned about all the emotion and whether or not there will be some who will get out of control more than usual. Specially if there are way more people than normal there. I am concerned that there may even be some mini rioting after the game. There are people who use such emotional situations as excuse for this type of action. For many reasons, including staying home with my younger daughter, I cannot be there with them.

Some one in the know tell me that no way do I have anything to worry about.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
chimpy

no you have noyhing to worry about, everything will be fine, the lions win the game and everything goes on as it should, there will be more people there wanting to remember more than anything.

and i guarantee you that there will be tons of security.

do not worry nothing will haapen
chimpy

Just heard on cknw that the team is going to put on a special half time celebration for him and they are trying to extend the halftime for half an hour.
firstdown45

anything less than 50,000 is not going to be impressive