Carbon tax whining??

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Jason Jiménez
Rookie

Read my lips: No more taxes!!! :no:

For the entire lot of crackpot ‘experts’ that weigh in on global warming, there are opinions on both sides that believe in it, and those that do not. Sure, the planet may have warmed in the past 100 years, but it’s a scientific fact that planet goes through heating and cooling periods. All of the numbers crunched have only covered the last century. What is 100 years in relative terms? Nothing! It’s a blink of an eye. Global warming is only a theory. Unfortunately, this theory is being put into practice by the BC government in the form of yet another tax – another hand in our pocket. This theory is being inculcated ad nauseaum to the masses by bleeding heart liberal propagandists who have abstruse agendas to get people to change their behavior. Groupthink, in this case, could prove to be disastrous. [/quote]

How is it dangerous to pollute less? If you are correct that global warming is an incorrect theory, how does it hurt us to reduce smog by driving less or driving more fuel efficient or cleaner vehicles?[/quote]

I never said it was dangerous to pollute less. You misinterpreted what I said.[/quote]

Okay. You said it would be disastrous. You suggest all kinds of doom and gloom if we start to cut back on carbon emissions. And I say that we can cut back a very large amount without significant pain at all and as the economics dictate cleaner use of oil, technologies will be developed to meet the need. But without a financial carrot/stick, the status quo continues, and it is unsustainable.
No, I never said it would be disatrous to polute less, I said GROUPTHINK could prove disatrous. On a local and national level, the entire idea touted by the BC Liberal party and charlatans Suzuki and Dion is a demonstration of a flawed syllogism. Their argument, while delivered with gravitas, is deceptive and flawed. Furthermore, I have not suggested any doom and gloom if we start to cut back on carbon emmissions. That is what carbon tax proponents are suggesting by hitting us up with another tax. On a global level, this business of going green and carbon caps is an attempt to shape human behavior and consolidate power.

"Kyoto represents the first component of an authentic global governance." - Jacque Chirac, former French President

What I am suggesting here as an amateur economist, is that by introducing a tax to stymie carbon emissions on an economy that is already strained with relation to oil prices - prices that are dictated by the free market - is asinine. There is no alternative yet to curtail our usage of oil. It would be totally different if we had the choice between something viable for all to use and oil. Then, and only then, would it be well conceived and warmly welcome by consumers everywhere if there was a tax on oil. That's the bottom line.
Green and sustainable living is a great way to reduce waste and conserve resources. I go along with it because of the economic benefits, not because I believe the world is in peril. It’s a person’s prerogative whether they choose to live that way.
Is it really? Do we not have many laws on our books requiring certain behaviours as to how we treat our common environment? May be blindly deposit anything we want into our waterways? Of course not.
I stand by what I said. It is a person's prerogative to buy compact flurorescent lights, ride a bike to work, recycle, etc. There are currently no laws that I'm aware of that states that we have to live 'green.' You're talking about blatant disregard for the environment. Of course there are laws that prohibit total disregard for the environment; laws that protect wildlife and habitats. I'm talking about the paradigm shift from our conventional ways of living to what is being promoted now. It's a social push, not a law.
You're right. Most of the push is social, although recycling is sort of enforced by not be able to dispose of recyclables in regular waste. In general though, if people can be persuaded to do the right thing by giving them information, that would be ideal. Usually though, it takes dollars and cents through penalties and incentives as well as regulation to make changes.
Very little of what most people accept has irrefutable evidence to back it up. But most people will accept reasonable evidence, and that is what most people have done in this case. Most Canadians have, most world governments have, and even the US is well on the way to accepting that something needs to be done.
There is not a preponderance of evidence in favor of either argument -- it depends on who you ask. My opinion is that it's inconclusive - yet the those in favor of trying to change our behavior have a special agenda and stand to benefit from it by way of status, power and wealth.

You are in the minority. Most Canadians disagree with you. Most world governments do as well. Majority rules.
This point here is debatable as well. Majority in this sense may not rule - at least not in the sense that you see it as. I'll direct your attention to an article found in the Financial Post dated April 6, 2006:

An open letter to Prime Minister Stephen Harper:

Dear Prime Minister:

As accredited experts in climate and related scientific disciplines, we are writing to propose that balanced, comprehensive public-consultation sessions be held so as to examine the scientific foundation of the federal government's climate-change plans. This would be entirely consistent with your recent commitment to conduct a review of the Kyoto Protocol. Although many of us made the same suggestion to then-prime ministers Martin and Chretien, neither responded, and, to date, no formal, independent climate-science review has been conducted in Canada. Much of the billions of dollars earmarked for implementation of the protocol in Canada will be squandered without a proper assessment of recent developments in climate science.

Observational evidence does not support today's computer climate models, so there is little reason to trust model predictions of the future. Yet this is precisely what the United Nations did in creating and promoting Kyoto and still does in the alarmist forecasts on which Canada's climate policies are based. Even if the climate models were realistic, the environmental impact of Canada delaying implementation of Kyoto or other greenhouse-gas reduction schemes, pending completion of consultations, would be insignificant. Directing your government to convene balanced, open hearings as soon as possible would be a most prudent and responsible course of action.

While the confident pronouncements of scientifically unqualified environmental groups may provide for sensational

headlines, they are no basis for mature policy

formulation. The study of global climate change is, as you have said, an "emerging science," one that is perhaps the most complex ever tackled. It may be many years yet before we properly understand the Earth's climate system. Nevertheless, significant advances have been made since the protocol was created, many of which are taking us away from a concern about increasing greenhouse gases. If, back in the mid-1990s, we knew what we know today about climate, Kyoto would almost certainly not exist, because we would have concluded it was not necessary.

We appreciate the difficulty any government has formulating sensible science-based policy when the loudest voices always seem to be pushing in the opposite direction. However, by convening open, unbiased consultations, Canadians will be permitted to hear from experts on both sides of the debate in the climate-science community. When the public comes to understand that there is no "consensus" among climate scientists about the relative importance of the various causes of global climate change, the government will be in a far better position to develop plans that reflect reality and so benefit both the environment and the economy.

"Climate change is real" is a meaningless phrase used repeatedly by activists to convince the public that a climate catastrophe is looming and humanity is the cause. Neither of these fears is justified. Global climate changes all the time due to natural causes and the human impact still remains impossible to distinguish from this natural "noise." The new Canadian government's commitment to reducing air, land and water pollution is commendable, but allocating funds to "stopping climate change" would be irrational. We need to continue intensive research into the real causes of climate change and help our most vulnerable citizens adapt to whatever nature throws at us next.

We believe the Canadian public and government decision-makers need and deserve to hear the whole story concerning this very complex issue. It was only 30 years ago that many of today's global-warming alarmists were telling us that the world was in the midst of a global-cooling catastrophe. But the science continued to evolve, and still does, even though so many choose to ignore it when it does not fit with predetermined political agendas.

We hope that you will examine our proposal carefully and we stand willing and able to furnish you with more information on this crucially important topic.

CC: The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of the Environment, and the Honourable Gary Lunn, Minister of Natural Resources

Furthermore, 71% of Canadians (I'll admit that I don't know the sampling pool here, I'm only basing it on the 24Hrs July 15 article by Bill Tieleman) disagree with the carbon tax. If they don't agree with the tax, then they don't necessarily believe in the global warming myth, yes or no? If they did, then they would concede to the myth and acquiesce to the carbon tax knowing that the ends justify the means. The tax, if you recall, applies to not only gasoline, but to diesel, heating, oil, natural gas and propane. I guess I'll have to get the chimney cleaned out before winter arrives in 8 weeks...

There are two interesting FACTS that I think should be entertained: the first is that Statistics Norway reports that country's carbon tax - the highest in the world and 5x higher than BC's starting tax has only reduced CO2 emissions by a whopping 2%...since 1991.

The other nugget of useful information is that if the Kyoto Protocol were to be implemented and executed to a T, it would only advert 0.06C of global warming by 2050.

For further reading by a credible source, go to this site. [web]http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm? ... c808e8809e[/web]

Since the world leaders at the recent G8 Summit can’t even agree on the five W’s with relation to global warming,
That's more politics than science, and you know it. It all boils down to who pays, not whether someone should.
I disagree. The scientist's conclusions are as sketchy as the politicians. Global Warming, i.e. Climate Change, is not about environmentalism or politics. It is not a religion. It is not something you "believe in." Some people believe in it, some people don't.

why should you and I be taxed on what essentially boils down to a hunch? [/quote]

Because the majority of people accept the theory of global warming and want something to be done about it. That's why.
It is much more than a hunch, and you know that too.
Ok, show me proof that Global Warming is indeed real. Show me conclusive evidence. There isn't any. What you will find are theories that are supported by other theories. [/quote]

Yeah. That's how it works. Like evolution and a bunch more I suppose. You likely won't get your conclusive evidence.
The idea behind this carbon tax is asinine. In today’s 24 hours, the provincial government took out two, full-page ads to describe how this is a good thing. (Let the inculcation commence) The ad alleges that 36% of all greenhouse gas emissions in BC comes from transportation. We’re being punished for using resources and the government hopes that prices will get so high, we’ll not consume as much. As an incentive, tax breaks will be offered. Tax breaks are wonderful, but it doesn’t help out the family of four struggling to make ends meet that have to commute long distances when gas continues to go up - by market fluctuation, or by carbon taxes.

Are you a family of four struggling to make ends meet? I love how people are always so worried about other people when they bring up an issue, but don't consider that other people also means future generations who will have to live with the pollutants we are adding to our air right now even though we could easily pollute much less than we do.
I'm glad you love it. No, I'm a family of three now and I try to put myself in other people's shoes. I don't presume to think that my sitation is the same as everyone elses. Every generation adapts to the problems of the day. My children and your children will find ways to deal with the challenges of their day. Taxing carbon usage and consumption is not going to provide any answer for you and me today or our kids tomorrow.
The ad in 24 hours highlights that “If you drive 5% less a year, you can typically save twice what you will pay in carbon tax over the next two years.” What if you can’t drive 5% less a year? What if you have to move further out because housing is so outrageously high, you have to drive longer distances where there isn’t public transit? Does the government plan on putting in a provincial Skytrain system?
Good points here. That's where economics comes in. It's all supply and demand and that will shape where and how we live. Pollution costs. There is a price to be paid, somehow, and by someone, at some time. A carbon tax means that we will be paying some of the true cost now, right away. No more free lunch. No more putting it off until some future date.
The problem is that taxing consumption on carbon usage is essentially a knock against our oil based economy. As forward thinking as many see it as, it’s really too far ahead of where we are and where we need to be. Here’s what I mean: until a system is put in place where we don’t have to rely on oil, taxing our consumption of our lifelines is basically shooting ourselves in the foot. We need our feet to walk, run, move and live. The same goes for oil. We need oil (right now) to live. Essentially everything that we use is petroleum based. The keyboard that we are using to exchange ideas on this forum is oil based. Some of the foods that we eat are processed in some form or fashion with oil products. Medicines, plastics, and whole host of goods are oil based. The ‘green machine’ message, while noble, is simply idealistic.

Use less energy is not the answer unless you want economic growth to halt as well. The alternatives? Yes, solar, geothermal, wind, etc. – the renewables. The problem that I see here is the same problem attributed with marijuana. These forms of energy occur naturally – the same way that marijuana grows naturally. As it stands now, since it can’t be taxed because it’s a naturally occurring substance/energy, how will ‘they’ make a profit on it? Anybody could set up shop and produce energy the same way anybody can grow marijuana for a personal profit. The problem again lies in government(s) trying to dictate to us how and when things should be done. It’s wrong with imposing more taxes, it’s wrong with attempting to market to the masses in the form of fear and propaganda blitzes and it’s wrong to try and tell us how to lead our lives.

No one "planned" the city of Vancouver. It evolved. It is still evolving, to some degree by planners and governments, and to some degree by economics.
Au contraire, confrere. The establishment in 1926 of the Vancouver Town Planning Commission marked the beginning of formal planning efforts in the city. Harland Bartholomew, town planning consultant from St. Louis, Missouri, was retained to provide planning services for Vancouver. Over the next decade Bartholomew and his team were assisted by Horace Seymour, a Canadian town planner who served as the resident engineer for the planning commission. The team surveyed the city, prepared detailed reports on zoning regulations, street design, transportation and transit, public recreation and civic art and conducted meetings with the town planning commission in order to develop a comprehensive plan. It was published in 1928. The following year, when South Vancouver and Point Grey amalgamated with the City of Vancouver, Bartholomew was hired to plan these communities and amend his previous report. In 1944 he returned to Vancouver to assist with new planning initiatives; a 1946 Bartholomew plan for the Lower Fraser River Valley--stretching 4,600 square kilometres from the U.S. border to West Vancouver and Hope--emphasized his interest in regional planning and a “scheme for control of decentralization.” It's been over 60 years. That's a long time to go w/o updating a city’s growing needs. .

Call me American…but I was always taught and firmly believe “NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENATION.” Did we vote on this? I didn’t. This tax is non-representative of my views on this issue and non-representative of concrete, irrefutable facts. The theories of Henry Hazlitt are sure to be proven with this ill-conceived tax and the behavioral changes that will ensue.[/quote]
That's funny. I remember being able to vote for the current government, or against them. Did you miss the election?
It’s not that funny. I’m not a Canadian citizen; therefore, I can’t vote in Canada. ( See the above passage.) Voting for the current government is beside the point. Something as important as more taxes (in my experience) has always been put up to a vote. I don’t think anybody in their right mind would allow for such a thing to happen w/o weighing the issue at hand first.[/quote]

I'll respond to the rest later. I'm at work and I have to get back at it.
I look foward to reading your thoughts.
Jason Jiménez
Rookie

I didn't insert the quotes blocks at the right spots. Sorry about that. Hope you can distinguish between old and new.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

There was a fairly salient letter in Sunday's Province:
I am not a scientist, but I can't seem to find the logic in "stopping climate change."

Isn't change the only constant in life -- be it weather or anything else?

Hasn't the world's climate changed over the billions of years before humans were even around? What about the previous ice ages and periods of warming -- whose fault were those?

Max Cameron (Opinion, July 18) is right on the money about one thing, though: It is all about taxes. Governments have found the purrfect excuse to tax us all to death.

Ana Sylvia, Vancouver
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Just got an interesting e-mail today on this Carbon Tax issue.

My company has just been invited to attend a "free" Carbon Tax seminar being put on by the Provincial government.

Now it only shows three of the places the seminar is being held in, but I will assume it is being held in more than these three locations: Williams Lake, Prince George and Dawson Creek.

I live in Quesnel. For me to attend any of these "free" seminars - I have to drive. I have to drive approximately 1.5 hours to get to these. In order for me to drive I have to use fuel. Thus to attend a seminar on a tax to "help" reduce driving, I have to drive more to get to it.

Not only that, I am quite sure that the people putting these seminars are not locally in those areas. Therefore, I would guess they are travelling to the locations, probably by airplane. So by virtue of these seminars, the Province has already increased its carbon footprint, all in the name of a tax that is supposed to "promote" and provide incentive for all of us to reduce our carbon footprint.

And that's just the travelling carbon footprint.

I haven't even touched on the outright cost of this whole endeavour (things like renting buildings, advertising, printing costs, staff members time, catering - all governmental sessions like this get catered, etc.).

Here is a direct quote from the form:
Effective July 1, 2008, Carbon Tax applies to fuels, such as gasoline, diesel, natural gas,
heating fuel, propane and coal, and to combustibles, such as peat and tires when used to
produce energy or heat in British Columbia.

The Ministry of Small Business and Revenue will be coming to your area to present seminars
on how the Carbon Tax will affect your business.

These seminars have been designed for businesses involved in the supply chain of these
products. Each seminar will include a general introduction, and then focus on forms and
compliance requirements for businesses under the new Carbon Tax Act, followed by a
question and answer period. If you have specific questions regarding the administration of the
Carbon Tax for your business, this opportunity should not be missed.
Gotta love that there are forms to be filled out (probably in triplicate) on a tax trying to reduce the carbon imprint. What are those forms going to be filled out on? And don't even try and tell me they will be digital. I work with the Provincial government and they don't do anything digital. Paperless office could work, if you didn't have to deal with the Government.

So tell me again what the supposed PC front of this tax is all about? And I will show you nothing more than another tax grab by Victoria to try and sucker people into believing it is environmentally friendly.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
pennw
Legend

I see they are going to have to try a real good sales pitch on interior folk to convince them that not driving is going to work for them , that's why they need to come to your towns personally.
How much money has this government already spent on all that bs advertising campaign trying to hoodwink the public ?
You got to love some of the bs in those ads to like " flooding in Prince George " . That flood was caused by a frozen river because it was so cold , but Campbell tries to portray it as caused by global warming? Some dried up mud proves global warming? Get real . Wind storm of '06 proves global warming? What about all the other wind storms of past history? Fire in the Okanogan proves global warming? Haven't forest fires always been with us?? Does the gov. really think people are that stupid that they would believe that ad ?
And while Campbell is trying to sell us on carbon tax , he's also trying to get off shore oil drilling on BC ok'd along with more development of the BC oil industry at the same time .
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:I see they are going to have to try a real good sales pitch on interior folk to convince them that not driving is going to work for them , that's why they need to come to your towns personally.
How much money has this government already spent on all that bs advertising campaign trying to hoodwink the public ?
You got to love some of the bs in those ads to like " flooding in Prince George " . That flood was caused by a frozen river because it was so cold , but Campbell tries to portray it as caused by global warming? Some dried up mud proves global warming? Get real . Wind storm of '06 proves global warming? What about all the other wind storms of past history? Fire in the Okanogan proves global warming? Haven't forest fires always been with us?? Does the gov. really think people are that stupid that they would believe that ad ?
And while Campbell is trying to sell us on carbon tax , he's also trying to get off shore oil drilling on BC ok'd along with more development of the BC oil industry at the same time .
what a pissant that campbell is, eh :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Soundy
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
pennw wrote:I see they are going to have to try a real good sales pitch on interior folk to convince them that not driving is going to work for them , that's why they need to come to your towns personally.
what a pissant that campbell is, eh :wink:
Now see, this is TOTALLY appropriate here! :)
(\__/)
MacNews
Team Captain

pennw wrote:he's also trying to get off shore oil drilling on BC ok'd
It's a chicken-and-egg thing. Do you want 'clean' wind power, or do you want 'cheap' nuclear power?

Do you want pristine coasts or lower gasoline prices?

It is hard to have your cake and eat it too, as enviros are finding out.

First they wanted cleaner gasoline, so they invented ethanol and now food prices are higher.

Then they wanted a tax to punish those SUV evil-doers, and they got higher home-heating bills.

:juggle:
Gerry
Legend

Jason Jiménez wrote:
Call me American…but I was always taught and firmly believe “NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENATION.” Did we vote on this? I didn’t. This tax is non-representative of my views on this issue and non-representative of concrete, irrefutable facts. The theories of Henry Hazlitt are sure to be proven with this ill-conceived tax and the behavioral changes that will ensue.
That's funny. I remember being able to vote for the current government, or against them. Did you miss the election?
It’s not that funny. I’m not a Canadian citizen; therefore, I can’t vote in Canada. ( See the above passage.) Voting for the current government is beside the point. Something as important as more taxes (in my experience) has always been put up to a vote. I don’t think anybody in their right mind would allow for such a thing to happen w/o weighing the issue at hand first.

My suggestion then is to become a Canadian citizen. Your point is totally beside the issue you raise. As much as any other country in the world, we in Canada do have representation, and our representatives levy the taxes.

It's true that you hold more referendums in the US than we do here, but that is a difference in the way the two countries view their politicians. We seem to hold more to the idea that our representatives represent us rather than that they consult us on every issue and then vote accordingly. Our MPs and MLAs have more time and access to information than we do on some issues and are in many cases better able to reach an informed opinion on a given subject. It's the same idea with our judges and law enforcement. We don't elect them, they are appointed.

The point on taxation however is that we do have representation. it's just that we vote for or against the representatives, not the tax, and it works for us.
Enough is enough.
Gerry
Legend

Jason Jiménez wrote:
The problem is that taxing consumption on carbon usage is essentially a knock against our oil based economy. As forward thinking as many see it as, it’s really too far ahead of where we are and where we need to be.
There's where we differ in opinion. I think most people would be happy to be less dependent on oil. Certainly many Americans would prefer to depend less on something that has to be imported from a volatile region of the world. The question is not that we want to be less dependent, but how to get there.
Here’s what I mean: until a system is put in place where we don’t have to rely on oil, taxing our consumption of our lifelines is basically shooting ourselves in the foot.
We tax oil consumption already, even before the carbon tax. Relative to recent price increases, the carbon tax is nothing. I'd hardly call that "shooting ourselves in the foot". To me the carbon tax is more an admission by society that we need to do something about air pollution, global warming or not. I like the idea of a tax shift from income (work) to consumption of something that is not good for us, especially our children and grandchildren.
We need our feet to walk, run, move and live. The same goes for oil. We need oil (right now) to live. Essentially everything that we use is petroleum based. The keyboard that we are using to exchange ideas on this forum is oil based. Some of the foods that we eat are processed in some form or fashion with oil products. Medicines, plastics, and whole host of goods are oil based. The ‘green machine’ message, while noble, is simply idealistic.
Idealistic? Is that bad? Isn't taking a small step toward an ideal a way of making it happen, even if it happens slowly, over time? I don't think that anyone thinks we'll get rid of oil completely any time soon, if ever. But the less we use now, and the more cleanly we use it, will leave more for future generations and a cleaner world as well. I hardly think that we're the most efficient at our use of oil right now, do you?

Use less energy is not the answer unless you want economic growth to halt as well.
Bull. We could all use less energy without ANY drop in economic output. Easily. Each of us could.
The alternatives? Yes, solar, geothermal, wind, etc. – the renewables. The problem that I see here is the same problem attributed with marijuana. These forms of energy occur naturally – the same way that marijuana grows naturally. As it stands now, since it can’t be taxed because it’s a naturally occurring substance/energy, how will ‘they’ make a profit on it? Anybody could set up shop and produce energy the same way anybody can grow marijuana for a personal profit. The problem again lies in government(s) trying to dictate to us how and when things should be done. It’s wrong with imposing more taxes, it’s wrong with attempting to market to the masses in the form of fear and propaganda blitzes and it’s wrong to try and tell us how to lead our lives.
I don't feel that governments "dictate" to us. We elect them. We are responsible for them and they are responsible to us. We expect that government plans for the future and the welfare of the individual and society as a whole. How else do we plan for the future? Not everything can be totally based on supply and demand. Through government we plan and build roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, defence systems etc. We give up some individual freedom for our overall benefit. Different countries draw the line between individual freedom to do what ever we want and the collective good at different places. We are different than the US. China is different than Norway or Holland. You decide which works best.

We now realize that some problems require global action. More and more countries are conversing and agreeing on issues. The EU is only one example of this. Not all will agree on every issue, but at least we are realizing that we have to give and take on some things if we want to accomplish something worthwhile.

The issue of global warming is the first issue that has got the entire world agreeing and acting (to this degree) on a common problem that has major implications for all of us. It's not purrfect and there is controversy, but it's a tentative baby step toward living more sustain ably and working to ensure the health of future generations.

IMO.
Enough is enough.
Gerry
Legend

Jason Jiménez wrote:
No one "planned" the city of Vancouver. It evolved. It is still evolving, to some degree by planners and governments, and to some degree by economics.
Au contraire, confrere. The establishment in 1926 of the Vancouver Town Planning Commission marked the beginning of formal planning efforts in the city. Harland Bartholomew, town planning consultant from St. Louis, Missouri, was retained to provide planning services for Vancouver. Over the next decade Bartholomew and his team were assisted by Horace Seymour, a Canadian town planner who served as the resident engineer for the planning commission. The team surveyed the city, prepared detailed reports on zoning regulations, street design, transportation and transit, public recreation and civic art and conducted meetings with the town planning commission in order to develop a comprehensive plan. It was published in 1928. The following year, when South Vancouver and Point Grey amalgamated with the City of Vancouver, Bartholomew was hired to plan these communities and amend his previous report. In 1944 he returned to Vancouver to assist with new planning initiatives; a 1946 Bartholomew plan for the Lower Fraser River Valley--stretching 4,600 square kilometres from the U.S. border to West Vancouver and Hope--emphasized his interest in regional planning and a “scheme for control of decentralization.” It's been over 60 years. That's a long time to go w/o updating a city’s growing needs. .

I'll concede this point. You have some good facts here.

Still, planners come and go and their philosophies change. And, many people would say that our planners have done a good job, especially in Vancouver. It is consistently rated as one of the best cities in the world in which to live.
Enough is enough.
Gerry
Legend

To all of you naysayers:

What's your suggestion then?

Let's do nothing? Let's continue driving Hummers to get the kids to school 5 blocks each way every day? Let's keep building up the smog layer over our cities? Let's just use, use, use, until there's no more, without providing the economic carrot and stick our system needs to find better ways of doing things?

I just read in the Economist that the pine beetle infestation can now be seen from space. That's global warming right in our own back yard. So don't tell me it doesn't exist. Convince me that the smog layer that blankets our Fraser Valley and obscures the mountains after only a week of calm weather is not related at all to the use of the private automobile. Explain to me how we can't come up with a better way than to use 3 tons of metal to transport a 150 lb person from point A to point B.

So our attempts at solutions are not purrfect. Are they ever? Does that mean that we should not try?
Enough is enough.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Gerry wrote:To all of you naysayers:

Let's do nothing? Let's continue driving Hummers to get the kids to school 5 blocks each way every day? Let's keep building up the smog layer over our cities? Let's just use, use, use, until there's no more, without providing the economic carrot and stick our system needs to find better ways of doing things?

I just read in the Economist that the pine beetle infestation can now be seen from space. That's global warming right in our own back yard. So don't tell me it doesn't exist. Convince me that the smog layer that blankets our Fraser Valley and obscures the mountains after only a week of calm weather is not related at all to the use of the private automobile. Explain to me how we can't come up with a better way than to use 3 tons of metal to transport a 150 lb person from point A to point B.

So our attempts at solutions are not purrfect. Are they ever? Does that mean that we should not try?
Hang on Gerry. A Hummer has been proven to have less of a carbon footprint on the earth than the "green" Toyota Prius hybrid. So be careful.

The Beetle infestation (and remember I live in the middle of it and have been here since the beginning of the issue) in the eyes of many is actually a cyclical event. It also could have been prevented by man if the NDP at the time, hadn't listened to the environmentalists who did not want the forests burned out as was the recommendation by the foresters. A small little fire (incomparison to what we actually ended up with) in the park would have done away with the beetle infestation early. Instead it was allowed to grow unchecked and now we have the issue that we do.

Also, one thing that people tend to miss out on the "naysayers" is that "oh look there is proof of Global Warming" - uh I hate to tell you but many of the naysayers may agree that there is global warming going on. The question is about it's affects on the planet and if it is being created by mankind. Did you know that most of the carbon in the air is acutally created by the earth's oceans? and that the only way to prevent that from happening is to saran wrap all the oceans on the planet?

What about the settlements that are being discovered in the north as the ice recedes? We are finding more and more settlements, proof that it wasn't all ice and snow before, in more northern climates that many have believed were covered in ice for eternity. Some are being found that don't date back that far. Many are even looking like they were left for the winter and people were expecting to come back that summer but the ice and snow that developed prevented it. So if Global warming is a new occurrence and is so bad and has been created recently with our build up of carbon - why were there settlements before? Could it not be that we are dealing with Global warming simply because we are, in fact, still coming out of an ice age? Afterall, in the 70's all the "researchers and scientists" were saying we were heading into another ice age... what happened there?

It might not be that Global warming is occurring - it's the debate on whether or not it is caused by humans, the environment itself or if it is cyclical in nature and just part of the earth's natural cycle that is in question by many of the naysayers.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Soundy
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Did you know that most of the carbon in the air is acutally created by the earth's oceans? and that the only way to prevent that from happening is to saran wrap all the oceans on the planet?
I was trying to help out with that, but then I got arrested for littering...
(\__/)
Gerry
Legend

LFITQ wrote:
Gerry wrote:To all of you naysayers:

Hang on Gerry. A Hummer has been proven to have less of a carbon footprint on the earth than the "green" Toyota Prius hybrid. So be careful.
Be careful of what? You're telling me that a Hummer has little impact on the environment? No, you're not saying that. You're not saying that a Hummer is an efficient and proper use of resources in the manner in which we commonly use them. You're trying to muddle the issue by comparing it to a Prius. IF the Prius has a greater carbon footprint than a Hummer (I've heard all this before) then all that means is that a Prius is a POS as well, environmentally speaking.

The Beetle infestation (and remember I live in the middle of it and have been here since the beginning of the issue) in the eyes of many is actually a cyclical event. It also could have been prevented by man if the NDP at the time, hadn't listened to the environmentalists who did not want the forests burned out as was the recommendation by the foresters. A small little fire (incomparison to what we actually ended up with) in the park would have done away with the beetle infestation early. Instead it was allowed to grow unchecked and now we have the issue that we do.

None of that changes the fact that we have not had winters cold enough to kill the bug, as was the case in earlier times. Winters are warmer. Period. The glaciers that feed China's main rivers will disappear in 30 years. There's many more examples. We are experiencing climate change due to global warming. And, even if we weren't, it is still a good idea to pollute less and use oil more efficiently, which we can easily do, if we want to.

Also, one thing that people tend to miss out on the "naysayers" is that "oh look there is proof of Global Warming" - uh I hate to tell you but many of the naysayers may agree that there is global warming going on. The question is about it's affects on the planet and if it is being created by mankind. Did you know that most of the carbon in the air is acutally created by the earth's oceans? and that the only way to prevent that from happening is to saran wrap all the oceans on the planet?
Heard all that before too. And if the argument is made and agreed to that global warming is man-made, you will still refuse to do anything because the Chinese and the Indians and the Russians are causing all the problems. Face it, most of your opposition is based on a desire to maintain the status quo, lifestyle wise. Perhaps not in everyone's case, perhaps not yours, but for most, yes.
What about the settlements that are being discovered in the north as the ice recedes? We are finding more and more settlements, proof that it wasn't all ice and snow before, in more northern climates that many have believed were covered in ice for eternity. Some are being found that don't date back that far. Many are even looking like they were left for the winter and people were expecting to come back that summer but the ice and snow that developed prevented it. So if Global warming is a new occurrence and is so bad and has been created recently with our build up of carbon - why were there settlements before? Could it not be that we are dealing with Global warming simply because we are, in fact, still coming out of an ice age? Afterall, in the 70's all the "researchers and scientists" were saying we were heading into another ice age... what happened there?
I haven't got a clue, Ken. We could both scour the internet and bombard each other with "proof" and questions. It solves nothing. But, we have the majority of the world's governments agreeing to cooperate on solving a problem. Someone convinced them that it exists. Even the holdout Americans are ready to get on board. Who am I to say that they're all wrong?

Even if they're wrong, I don't care. We're wasteful. It won't hurt to clean up. We sound like a bunch of kids crying that we don't want to clean our room because we're the only ones living there and we like it that way. Seriously, what good reason is there to make a kid clean his room? How many kids have died because of a dirty room? Yet parents make them do it because it's the right thing to do.
It might not be that Global warming is occurring - it's the debate on whether or not it is caused by humans, the environment itself or if it is cyclical in nature and just part of the earth's natural cycle that is in question by many of the naysayers.
The debate should be on how to go about cleaning up, conserving, and making better use of resources. Unfortunately, we don't seem to want to do that.
Enough is enough.