TV BLACKOUTS

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

valleybear
prospect

ARE THERE GONNA BE TV BLACKOUTS AGAIN THIS YEAR ? I LIVE 100+ k AWAY FROM B.C PLACE AND STILL FALL IN A BLACKOUT AREA. THERE'S NOTHING MORE ANNOYING THAN GETTING READY FOR A GAME THAT ENDS UP BEING BLACKEDOUT. AND FOLLOWING THE GAME ON THE RADIO ONLY FLYS WHEN I'M DRIVING. GO LEO'S
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I believe that each team is required to liift the local blackout for one home game each season, so you'll at least get that one. The radius for the blackout is somewhere around 130 km if memory serves (75 miles) so perhaps you could either move here to the Island, head to Pemberton, or use that spanky new highway of yours to get to the Stadium to watch the game.

And commercials at the Stadium are wayyyy better. 8)
chimpy

i agree are we going here again how people can not get to bc place because they can not get there in time, or it is too far, if that is the canucks you do not here any complaning, and they play mostly during the week.
valleybear
prospect

2 games a year is my average for attending Lions games. Allready got one set of tickets for Aug. 22. But I want to see all the games. And the canucks don't get blacked out, they get pay-per-viewed, and pubs or friends always have those games.
Leothelion
All Star

the blackout is lifted in Chilliwack and beyond.

leo
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

valleybear wrote:2 games a year is my average for attending Lions games. Allready got one set of tickets for Aug. 22. But I want to see all the games. And the canucks don't get blacked out, they get pay-per-viewed, and pubs or friends always have those games.
Well, if I lived where you do, I'd be paying about 1/4 what I do now to see the Leos play.

And you cannot pay me enough to NOT watch the NHL, so that's not an issue in this house. The Juniors down the street play hard, for fun, and don't take nights off. :thup:
lion24
Legend

Solar Max wrote:
valleybear wrote:2 games a year is my average for attending Lions games. Allready got one set of tickets for Aug. 22. But I want to see all the games. And the canucks don't get blacked out, they get pay-per-viewed, and pubs or friends always have those games.
Well, if I lived where you do, I'd be paying about 1/4 what I do now to see the Leos play.

And you cannot pay me enough to NOT watch the NHL, so that's not an issue in this house. The Juniors down the street play hard, for fun, and don't take nights off. :thup:

You mean you don't think "dump and chase".......I mean hockey is exciting?? :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
No Ka Oi
Starter

Let's see...shoot it in, n' shoot it out...don't hit anybody as you could risk getting penalized...and if they challenge you to fight, always turtle for the good of the team. :no:

I'll take football anytime, especially the CFL brand...is there any great sport in the world? (According to per game attendance, the CFL is the 6th most popular sporting league on the planet!)

I see that Hamilton is re-instituting their TV blackouts this year (probably on Obie's recommendaton)...leaving the Argos the only remaining team who still televises all their home games locally, despite their stadium being half empty. Toronto has the lowest season ticket base in the league, despite having the largest population (over 7 million now, according to some local boasters). It is claimed that 60% of Argo ticket buyers come from outside the city. The last team to lift all their local blackouts were the Renegades, who saw their ST base dwindle to under 2,000 fans before the franchise was suspended. If the stadium is soldout, like Montreal's, then the blackouts are automatically lifted.
Zarquon
Champion

Well it is real simple all they need to do is sell out each game like the Canucks and they will all be televised. :yes:
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
chimpy

the deal is with the blckouts is that they need to sell 90 percent of the seats that are aviliable for sale which is 40,000 so around 37,000 a game and they will lift the black out every home game.

and it is a lot easier to sell 18,000 for the canucks, then 40,000 for the lions as GM place is a lot smaller, if you put the Canucks in BC Place to sell 40,000 a game to lift a blackout they would not even come close.
Zarquon
Champion

chimpy wrote:the deal is with the blckouts is that they need to sell 90 percent of the seats that are aviliable for sale which is 40,000 so around 37,000 a game and they will lift the black out every home game.

and it is a lot easier to sell 18,000 for the canucks, then 40,000 for the lions as GM place is a lot smaller, if you put the Canucks in BC Place to sell 40,000 a game to lift a blackout they would not even come close.
If you could only buy tickets for 9 Canucks regular season games a year I bet they would.

I personally prefer football over Hockey but this is a Hockey town and the Canucks are able to put 18,630 bums in seats for 41 home games a year. Thats more that 750,000 tickets a year. Even if the Lions where to sell the out the whole stadium at near 60,000 thats still under 540,000 as season.

I think things have dramatically improved over the years but I hope the Lions can keep improving the fan base so we can get the the season ticket numbers over the 30K mark.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Do you think the blackout will be lifted for Fridays game? Bb
Wear orange or wear nothing
LFITQ
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:Do you think the blackout will be lifted for Fridays game? Bb
Unless they have to because of ticket sales, I sure as heck wouldn't if I were the Leos.

Normally I'm all about not blacking out early home games, get them on the tube and use them as 3 hour commercials for later games.

However, based on last week's performance, I wouldn't think this week's game will instill that much confidence in the minds of the buying public. Until the team shows that it can come to play, I wouldn't want to show the games on TV at this point. You could do more harm than good.

That being said, it won't be blacked out up here so I'll be watching.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Do you think the blackout will be lifted for Fridays game? Bb
Unless they have to because of ticket sales, I sure as heck wouldn't if I were the Leos.

Normally I'm all about not blacking out early home games, get them on the tube and use them as 3 hour commercials for later games.

However, based on last week's performance, I wouldn't think this week's game will instill that much confidence in the minds of the buying public. Until the team shows that it can come to play, I wouldn't want to show the games on TV at this point. You could do more harm than good.

The Lions have to showcase this one, they got a good crowd according to reports (40K or so), that should make others want to come out to the games IMO. As long as the Lions give a solid effort the score should be secondary. If I was the PR department for the Lions, this is the game to lift the blackout, as they don't have to worry about sellouts to do so for the remainder of the season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:

The Lions have to showcase this one, they got a good crowd according to reports (40K or so), that should make others want to come out to the games IMO. As long as the Lions give a solid effort the score should be secondary. If I was the PR department for the Lions, this is the game to lift the blackout, as they don't have to worry about sellouts to do so for the remainder of the season.
They don't want to showcase this game if the Lions come out flat and completely tank it again. TSN will have it's usual love-affair with the Riders and the Rider fans and as such the Dome will be percieved as being filled with Rider fans. It won't do much to entice a Vancouverite to attend the next game to cheer on the Lions as the "party atmosphere" will be attributed to the "large number of Rider fans in attendance" that TSN will cover regardless of its validity.

I strongly believe this game should be blacked out as it will not generate any positive vibes for the Lions for future games.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??