What happened to the Tailgate?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Zarquon
Champion

I stopped by the bridge but no one was there? :shock:

There was a significant Police presence in the area and several security guards in the lot.

I also noticed that they are trying to rezone the lot for development. :no:
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Rammer
Team Captain

Zarquon wrote:I stopped by the bridge but no one was there? :shock:

There was a significant Police presence in the area and several security guards in the lot.

I also noticed that they are trying to rezone the lot for development. :no:
I didn't go by but heard about it in the game, and I have to think that we saw the writing on the wall with the expansion needed to do the roofing, a sad day in Lion TG'ing.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

They have signs saying "parking $30, no alcohol, no barbecues" and police patrols in the lot. I'm glad I parked all day in Gastown for $7 and just walked back after the game.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

:thdn: From today's Province:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote::thdn: From today's Province:
Nice welcome sign....$30 :lol:

Did this lot fill up last night? Can't imagine anyone bothering to pay that amount with the crowd size...
Entertainment value = an all time low
swervin
Rookie

Wow. That is really sad. What is the reasoning behind this? No BBQs??? Who are these fun haters that are against tailgating?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
SammyGreene wrote::thdn: From today's Province:
Nice welcome sign....$30 :lol:

Did this lot fill up last night? Can't imagine anyone bothering to pay that amount with the crowd size...
At $30 looks like Impark has launched its own Green Plan to get people out of their cars.

Frickin amazing. The lot we park at at Robson and Homer is $4.
Zarquon
Champion

swervin wrote:Wow. That is really sad. What is the reasoning behind this? No BBQs??? Who are these fun haters that are against tailgating?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the land the parking lot is on owned by Impark? There was a rezoning sign posted on the lot and it is currently zoned for Parking only and my guess is that Impark wants to be able to say to the city that it isn't used so the city might as well rezone it. :x
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

The no fun police strike again. Being able to tailgate and hang out with fans of both teams before games is one of the funnest things about game day. Is there going to be another location or are the TGers being abolished? It would be a sad day if the latter transpired. :no: :sigh:
Huggy
prospect

The land is owned by Concord Pacific and they apparently (according to the security guys we talked to last night) have instituted the new policy for this season, citing several bogus reasons such as:

1. Loss of revenue from tailgaters taking up extra stalls (We have been there in the old Dodge Motorhome for at least 5 years and have NEVER seen all stalls taken in the main lot under the Cambie Bridge, even at the Western Finals).

2. Drunkenness and problems with Vancouver Police (again, in 5 years, this has not been a noticeable issue as far as we are concerned - in fact we have chatted with the police officers on numerous occasions and they have always been supportive of our efforts to be responsible citizens).

Our group of tailgaters (you know who you are) have always seemed to me to be a great bunch of people, whose sole purpose is to have fun supporting our love of CFL football and the Lions, while acting responsibly. We are being unecessarily punished by a corporate giant that really doesn't have a clue what REALLY happens on their property. Then again, it's their land so I guess they can do what they want.

Stay tuned - this one is not over yet.
swervin
Rookie

Huggy wrote:
Feel free to email these idiots marketing@concordpacific.com and let them know how you feel and how you will keep this in mind the next time you are deciding to do business with them. Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to cc Jim Mullin or one of the Sun or Province guys to see if you can turn this into a story and get Concord some bad press.
This is just silly and a waste of money utilising police resources to deal with this. If i told a college or nfl fan around here about this they probably wouldnt believe me.
Zarquon
Champion

swervin wrote:
Huggy wrote:
Feel free to email these idiots marketing@concordpacific.com and let them know how you feel and how you will keep this in mind the next time you are deciding to do business with them. Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to cc Jim Mullin or one of the Sun or Province guys to see if you can turn this into a story and get Concord some bad press.
This is just silly and a waste of money utilising police resources to deal with this. If i told a college or nfl fan around here about this they probably wouldnt believe me.
Since the land requires rezoning then maybe we should see about swaying some city councilors. This is an election year and we need to organize and make this an election issue.
bclions16
Champion

Hey, I've never been to one of your tailgaters, but I used to work for Concord. All I can say is good luck finding someone reasonable there. They are the type if company that frustrates - so incompetent, yet so successful. Of course getting that land deal way back when might have something to do with it.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Aren't there going to be condos or some such put up in that parking lot later in the summer? When I saw the police presence & the sheer number of security guards walking around, I figured that they're probably trying to set the tone early: clearly it is easier to end tailgating here & now by being heavy-handed, than to do it in July or August. I still think it's brutal, but maybe understandable.

Security was really good last night. When I popped out for my half-time all-natural nicotine infusion, a crack 5'3" fifty-ish extra from 'Coronation Street' informed me that I couldn't take the dregs of my beer outside. Relishing the last sip, and then moving towards the doors, she stopped me again and insisted on taking my empty cup. 'Young man, I JUST SAID there's no ALCOHOL permitted outside.' --'It's empty.' "Just....just....GIVE IT HERE....' Awesome. I've never obeyed a security guard so unquestioningly. I think we need more security guards that will tap into our earliest fears of being grounded or sent to our room.

Cheers,

James
Good post jc. You've got a gift for the narrative.

Unbelievable. These trolls always call virtually any kind of liquor, no matter how infinitesimal the alcohol content, "alcohol" as if the last drops of a beer and a double bourbon rocks are the same things. Ridiculous. OK, your average beer is 5% alcohol and almost 95% water, but it gets called "alcohol" cuz of the 5%. Logic would suggest that the thing that has 19 times more water than alcohol would, if it were to be categorized for only one of its constituent parts at all, be called..... WATER!! BUT NOOOO!

When I attended the REM concert at Deer Park last month they ask on the way in you if you intend on buying alcohol. If so, they ID you and give you a wristband. When asked the question, I ask "What do you mean alcohol? What kind?" with visions of whisk(e)y and dry martinis dancing in my head. "Beer or cider". Huh?? "Why don't you just say that then? That's not alcohol". "Well it has alcohol in it!" she barks. [Cue paragraph above] Me thinking: "Just gimme the stupid wristband".

In jurisdictions governed by actual grown-ups beer, cider and wine (at least) are readily available at the grocery store. They are considered grocery items. Sure, you've still got to be of age to buy 'the stuff, which makes sense.

The Vancouver cops should be sent to visit gameday at Husky or Seahawks Stadiums (yes, Qwest, I know). The cops there know the beer is going to be drunk and they don't intend to stop it. They basically are there to make sure no one gets too out of control, a realistic approach.

Vancouver better loosen up or it's going to backfire in its face come the Olympics. "You were at the Olympics in Vancouver? How did you like it?" "Well the town is nice, but Gawd...those people need to get a life and stop being such tighta$$ed killjoys. The cops just about turn purple at the sight of a beer - which they call 'alcohol'. While I was there I heard a story that the cops in BC once shot a guy in the head for having an open beer outdoors." "Are you freaking kidding me? I think we'll find someplace else to go on our vacation".