BC Place

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dieter
Rookie

I am sure this has been beaten to death here, but I'm new. I make it up to Vancouver from Kelowna for 2-3 Lions games a year and everytime I'm there I think more than once, "It's too bad they play in this dome"

I know you can't compare it to Qwest because of the sheer number of people etc, but even dumpy old Winnipeg Stadium is a better football atmosphere than cavernous and stuffy BC Place. When/if the Lions move to a smaller open stadium, there will be rainy days when some complain about the elements, but I think that's football. I have the same beef about my Vikings, their city is hell frozen over, but they should be outside too.

Hopefully when the Olympics are over things move full steam to a smaller open stadium
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I agree that Qwest Field is the way to go. I like football out in the elements also.

But I think B.C. Place is our stadium for this half century, and that is all we get. Cost, governmental reluctance to pay for it, size of population in the Lower Mainland, not being in the NFL (a bigger deal than the CFL, but not better football), etc. are the stumbling blocks.

Ackles likes B.C. Place, and says it is a good football venue. With that carpet it has now, I agree with him. It is cavernous, stuffy, and lacking in atmosphere, but is comfortable, warm, out of the elements, and very capable of supporting a football team.
thurmas

it was posted on vancouver.24hrs.ca a few days ago that the government plans to keep BC Place long term after the olympics and renovate it. They said it will get a new teflon roof. Also they plan to add 3 new condo towers around BC Place to help pay for BC Place upgrades.I would like to see 2 new large scoreboards at each endzone which will take out about 4000 unused upperdeck seats. A new teflon roof cuz retractable is too expensive. renovate and add some more luxury boxes. Renovate concourses and washrooms. rip out and replace seats with new orange and black ones. sell nameing rights to BC Place for extra revenue to lions. Have tarps over enzones of upper deck to honour BC lion legends like the argos do at rogers centre. The condos around BC Place sound good to me cuz it will have more street life to the stadium when not in use.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Dieter wrote:I am sure this has been beaten to death here, but I'm new. I make it up to Vancouver from Kelowna for 2-3 Lions games a year and everytime I'm there I think more than once, "It's too bad they play in this dome"

I know you can't compare it to Qwest because of the sheer number of people etc, but even dumpy old Winnipeg Stadium is a better football atmosphere than cavernous and stuffy BC Place. When/if the Lions move to a smaller open stadium, there will be rainy days when some complain about the elements, but I think that's football. I have the same beef about my Vikings, their city is hell frozen over, but they should be outside too.

Hopefully when the Olympics are over things move full steam to a smaller open stadium
Having been to both, I respectfully disagree.

Canad Inns is outdated, old, and don't even get me started on the bathroom lineups. I suspect, however, that your choice of teams is mostly responsible for your "dislike" of BC Place.
Dieter
Rookie

Solar Max wrote:
Dieter wrote:I am sure this has been beaten to death here, but I'm new. I make it up to Vancouver from Kelowna for 2-3 Lions games a year and everytime I'm there I think more than once, "It's too bad they play in this dome"

Having been to both, I respectfully disagree.

Canad Inns is outdated, old, and don't even get me started on the bathroom lineups. I suspect, however, that your choice of teams is mostly responsible for your "dislike" of BC Place.
You are right about BC Place over WINNIPEG STADIUM (I will never call it Canad Inn) in all the respects you mention, bathrooms etc. I just mean when you are actuslly sitting in the seats, the game atmosphere is better outside in Winnipeg...even with the mosquitos killing you
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Dieter wrote:You are right about BC Place over WINNIPEG STADIUM (I will never call it Canad Inn) in all the respects you mention, bathrooms etc. I just mean when you are actuslly sitting in the seats, the game atmosphere is better outside in Winnipeg...even with the mosquitos killing you
No, when you're actually sitting in the seats, the atmosphere is better at BC Place.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Yes, this topic of indoor vs. outdoor stadium has been discussed numerous times before. And everytime it's discussed, the same issues come up. Since the topic is being discussed now again, I'll mention another issue that only I've brought up in the past.

What I like about indoor BC Place is that by the time September, October, and November roles around, the Felions can still continue to be dressed like:

Whereas the Blue Lightning and dance teams of outdoor stadiumed-football teams do not continue to dress this way in the heavy rain or by late September.

Robbie
Hall of Famer

And since you like the Vikings, I'm sure you will appreciate the fact that their indoor Metrodome can accommodate their cheerleaders.

Several cold cities like Cleveland, New York, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay don't have cheerleaders, and I'm sure their cold, outdoor stadiums have something to do with it.
SJ46
Starter

I definitely prefer warm and dry. For me the excitement comes from the game itself. The fact that it's inside is a bonus.
SJ46
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Where's the beating a dead horse icon when you need it?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Where's the beating a dead horse icon when you need it?
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

There's elements and there's elements. You can protect yourself against biting prairie cold and even against mosquito infestation. It is nearly impossible to protect yourself against sideways-driving freezing rain that soaks you to the skin to the point where you think you'll never feel dry again. I'll take BC Place thanks. :thup:
Real women wear orange!!
woody
Champion

For me if we didn't have the dome and it was raining or snowing i would not go to the game at all.I hate wet popcorn and who would want to see the Felions wearing rain coats or parkas.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

As for "cavernous" - well, yes, BC Place does seem rather sterile when it's barely half-full... but those times when you get a near-packed house, it's an absolutely incredible atmosphere, and insanely loud (hey, don't forget that canned noise!) It's great to have that capacity available.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
MacNews
Team Captain

SJ46 wrote:I definitely prefer warm and dry. For me the excitement comes from the game itself. The fact that it's inside is a bonus.
:thup:

It's cool to see highlights of games in the snow, but I wouldn't want to sit in one.