Making every penny count!

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

If that was true he lost a fortune in interest over 23 years.
MacNews
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:If that was true he lost a fortune in interest over 23 years.
Yes but at least he saved his money instead of spending it, it's the principle that counts. :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

There's also the loss of purchasing power (by the time you pay your taxes on the earned interest, does it even offset inflation?). 23 years of 3% average annual inflation will erode a dollar to only 1/1.0323 = ~50% of its original real value, which is consistent with the approximate doubling of the US CPI over roughly that stretch of the recent past (source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm )
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
There's also the loss of purchasing power (by the time you pay your taxes on the earned interest, does it even offset inflation?). 23 years of 3% average annual inflation will erode a dollar to only 1/1.0323 = ~50% of its original real value, which is consistent with the approximate doubling of the US CPI over roughly that stretch of the recent past (source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm )

I think I need a drink now.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:I think I need a drink now.
'Tis the season! :beer:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
RRSP
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
Yes but at least he saved his money instead of spending it, it's the principle that counts. :wink:
Not my idea of a good plan for savings.
MacNews
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:Not my idea of a good plan for savings.
I know, RRSP is the best. People can be forgetful, especially with inflation. They brag about how cheap they bought their house or how much it has appreciated, but not realizing that with inflation their house isn't that cheap in todays dollars. Or averaging out the returns isn't that good compared to mirroring the Dow. But saving is the first step!