good gas info

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

I haven't verified how accurate this info is, but sounds real........
GAS--GOOD INFO!
I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline....Here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon.

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period through the pipeline. One day is diesel, the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1 degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return.

If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline vaporizes faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Has anyone snope this ?
Soundy
Hall of Famer

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

Status is "undetermined" but I'd tend to think it's fake - there's too much stuff that just doesn't fit logic.

I've never seen, anywhere, nozzles that have "three stages" - they're a pretty smooth analog curve from a trickle to full flow (and yes, I have driven in California). Not that this affects the THEORY of what the guy is saying, but it does indicate he's just making stuff up as he goes.

I don't buy the bit about faster evaporation when your tank gets lower - the same surface area of gas is exposed to the air either way, regardless of how much air is above it. And so the nozzle (allegedly) sucks some of the vapor back - I'd be surprised if it amounts to a teaspoon's worth of actual fuel over the filling of a 60l tank. Then again, I've seen the hoses and nozzles apart, I've never seen anything that looks like it could possibly be any kind of "return" line for vapor. He also notes how storage tanks have this "floating roof" to minimize evaporation, but my question is, why? So what, some gas evaporates into the air *inside the tank*... it's still contained within the tank, it's not going anywhere.

Lots of other little things in there just don't quite sit right on the BS-o-meter, but the real kicker for me is the second paragraph, talking about the amount of fuel they deliver and store... it's completely irrelevant to the theories he's putting forward (at least in its presented state, there's nothing to state WHY it's relevant) and frankly, just smacks of the standard BS chainmail practice of including a bunch of seemingly technical information for the pure sake of making it sound more legitimate.

But hey, I'll print a copy of this to carry in my work van - I bump into the National Energy guys now and then, so I can ask them what they think about it. These are the guys that install, maintain, and *calibrate* the pumps (sorry, "fuel dispensers") for Petro Canada and Esso, so they'll have a lot better idea of how these things work (particularly the "vapor return" bit).
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
MacNews
Team Captain

But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
That only applies in the States.

I remember reading about class-action suit in the US about this, and it stated that Canadian gas stations have this compensation-mechanism.
Rammer
Team Captain

MacNews wrote:
But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
That only applies in the States.

I remember reading about class-action suit in the US about this, and it stated that Canadian gas stations have this compensation-mechanism.
I am not so sure about that, as the pumps often have a tag on them saying that the pump is calibrated to 15C. If anything, that temperature concept makes the most logic to me, and just another benefit to those interior folk with their sub-zero weather.... 8)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I can attest somewhat to the last part about fueling up when the tanker is filling the underground tanks. Years ago I was with my uncle when he did that. We made it a mile down the road before the car crapped out with a tank full of crud. However that was a long time ago (I was a kid) and I would think there is infinitely better control today when it comes to allowing contaminants into underground tanks. With all the environmental regulations that came about in Canada in the early 1990s all tanks have been replaced with double-walled tanks. It's all a fairly well controlled environment from refinery to your vehicle tank.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:I can attest somewhat to the last part about fueling up when the tanker is filling the underground tanks. Years ago I was with my uncle when he did that. We made it a mile down the road before the car crapped out with a tank full of crud. However that was a long time ago (I was a kid) and I would think there is infinitely better control today when it comes to allowing contaminants into underground tanks. With all the environmental regulations that came about in Canada in the early 1990s all tanks have been replaced with double-walled tanks. It's all a fairly well controlled environment from refinery to your vehicle tank.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was some rural station, 50-year-old tank in some hick town... :lol:

There's substantial filtering IN the storage tanks AND dispensers - even if crud is stirred up in the tanks, it should never make it as far as your car's tank.
(\__/)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if that was some rural station, 50-year-old tank in some hick town... :lol:

There's substantial filtering IN the storage tanks AND dispensers - even if crud is stirred up in the tanks, it should never make it as far as your car's tank.
Not exactly a hick town. Can't remember if it was Mohawk at the time as it was around 1970. But it has been the Mohawk for many years since, located at the south end of Courtenay.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Courtenay's a hick town TODAY! :rotf:

Sorry, you left that one wide open ;)
(\__/)
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Soundy wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if that was some rural station, 50-year-old tank in some hick town... :lol:

Not exactly a hick town. Can't remember if it was Mohawk at the time as it was around 1970. But it has been the Mohawk for many years since, located at the south end of Courtenay.
Hmmm. I lived near there in 1963.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:Courtenay's a hick town TODAY! :rotf:

Sorry, you left that one wide open ;)
I think you're confusing it with Dodge City aka Cumberland. ;-)

Courtenay may have been considered a hick town back then, but I don't think it cuts it as that now. I'm back home in the area now for the proverbial Christmas visit with the folks in Union Bay. Every time I come back I find myself wanting to scurry back to the quiet of PG's 80000 denizens 'cause it's too freakin' busy around the Comox Valley for my liking.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
Hambone wrote:

Our family has been in Union Bay, south of Courtenay, since my grandparents moved over from Powell River in 1940 when my dad was 8.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Our family has been in Union Bay, south of Courtenay, since my grandparents moved over from Powell River in 1940 when my dad was 8.
I lived next door to the Sleepy Hollow Motel. In fact, I lived at the end of the block before they expanded the building to the corner. Went to grade 9 and played football at Lewis Field as our home field.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Okay, this has gotta be the strangest thread drift ever... who would ever believe coming into a thread about gas tips and finding a discussion of the history of a small Vancouver Island town?
(\__/)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:
I lived next door to the Sleepy Hollow Motel. In fact, I lived at the end of the block before they expanded the building to the corner. Went to grade 9 and played football at Lewis Field as our home field.
The Sleepy Hollow Motel is still there Dale. The Lions often held training camp at Lewis Park in Soundy's hicktown of Courtenay back in the early 60s. I received my first taste of live BC Lion football when as a youngster my parents took me up to watch the then defending GC Champs partake in a day of TC back in 1965. The Lions often used the Sleepy Hollow for their TC accomodations then. Legend has it as a joke one night a Leo or two decked themselves out in bedsheets to look like members of the KKK. Then they went down to Willie Fleming's room and knocked on his door.