Dave Ritchie, Lions Defensive Co-ordinator, To Retire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Bosco
Team Captain

Best of luck to Dave in his retirement - he will be missed, not only by the Lions, but by the CFL community. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wish him well in his retirement. Thanks for the memories.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Happy Retirement, Dave.

You have achieved much, inspired many, and earned the respect, and great affection of countless players and fans.

All the best to you. :thup:

And thank you for the Grey Cup in 1994, perhaps the sweetest championship of them all. :beer:
lion24
Legend

Mr. Ritchie will definitely be missed by the Lions as it seemed he was a "father figure" to many of the players as well as a top notch coach. You never heard anyone say his methods were archaic as he kept up to date with the league and the changes it went through during his career. I have to give him credit for his toughness as well as he took a few of the hardest hits I have seen a coach take on the sidelines during the last few years :sigh: Well done Mr Ritchie and thank you!! :thup: I don't now much about Benevides but I like his fire on the sidelines and hopefully he can take over and keep the defence on par of the last few years.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Rammer
Team Captain

Dave Ritchie can leave the game proud of his accomplishments, and know that even at his advanced age from a coaching respective, ran a top notch unit in his final years in the CFL. I give much respect for Ritchie's contributions in BC, and will especially remember him for his GC run in 94, that is the GC that has set the bar for my Lion memories.

The only thing that I missed from Dave over his return, was the quotes that had followed him during his CFL career, less and less to the point of not having one last season that comes to mind, perhaps that was the indication of wanting to go out on a quiet note.

All the best to your new life Mr. Ritchie, you have left a legacy behind you in the CFL, and have my utmost respect for your sacrifices and contribution. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I'm not crazy about the info in the last paragraph about The Chap coming back. :sigh:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Blitz is so worried about Chap coming back to the OC post... maybe he's coming back to replace Dave? ;)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Ravi
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:I'm not crazy about the info in the last paragraph about The Chap coming back. :sigh:
That is what stood out for me from that article.
MacNews
Team Captain

This is a big blow, Ritchie was a great coach and will be sorely missed. Not only was he a great coach, as Rammer said, he had amazing quotes. This one is my favourite:

[quote]“To get to be the chief at the top of the mountain, it's very simple. You fight your way up, you take the chief's head off, you put it in a burlap bag and you play polo with it. And then you take a pee, because all of that is going down a river to the people living below. And right now, we're at the top of the mountain.â€
Robbie
Hall of Famer

All the best to Dave Ritchie in his retirement. He leaves his coaching career with three Grey Cup rings and one coach of the year award.

I'm sure he has a decent chance of being inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame someday.

giwiens
Starter
Location: you can know where I was or my direction of travel but not both

Robbie wrote:All the best to Dave Ritchie in his retirement. He leaves his coaching career with three Grey Cup rings and one coach of the year award.

I'm sure he has a decent chance of being inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame someday.
:beer: :whs:
Roar Lions Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:All the best to Dave Ritchie in his retirement. He leaves his coaching career with three Grey Cup rings and one coach of the year award.

Congratulations again, Coach Ritchie on your many achievements.

By the way, is that a halo over the head of Saint Wally? And is the halo over Dave's head just a little bit off kilter?

I hope Dave and Wally are having a good time in Hawaii with their families.

All the best to them both.