Women's American Football Leagues

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Although most women's competitive sports and sports leagues such as soccer, basketball, and hockey have long gained acceptance and popularity in North America, there is still one sport that I don't think is popular at all with women and spectators and that is, women's American football. I'm sure a lot of you don't even know that there are at least seven women's American football leagues out there. Of those seven, the most popular one might be the Independent Women's Football League (IWFL). They have several teams throughout American cities and one in Canada. The two teams closest to Vancouver would be the:

Seattle Majestics

Portland Shockwave

Their season runs from April to June, so if any of you are interested in watching football after the NFL season finishes in February and before the CFL pre-season begins in June, then maybe this is something to check out.

And I said there is one team in that league that's based out of Canada and they are the Montreal Blitz.

Okay, how about a joke now? :twisted: The Montreal Alouettes performance really retracted in 2007 from a first place finish and a Grey Cup

appearance in 2006 to a third place finish and a first round playoff loss, so the team definitely needs some rebuilding. Should they consider some members from their women's counterpart team? :tease:

There has long been discussion as to whether the CFL can expand to one of the Canadian Maritime cities such as Halifax and so far it has not materialized. I guess those cities decided to make up their own football league in 2004 when they established the Maritime Women's Football League. There are four teams in that league and they play from June to August. And continuing off that joke, considering that some teams like the Hamilton Tiger-Cats had some really pitiful seasons recently, then I cannot imagine the team doing any worse if they replaced their roster with some members from these four teams. :lol:

Capital Area Lady Gladiators

Moncton Vipers

Saint John Storm

Halifax Xplosion

Have any of you attended or plan to attend a women's football game? I've attended Women's Whitecaps games and Seattle Storm games and I wouldn't say the quality of play is all that different from their male counterparts. I'd like to do a comparison between men and women's football now.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know two women that play rugby and they both love the game (full contact).

I have one other friend that plays flag football in a Vancouver Women's only league.

I am amazed at how aware many women are about football and are true fans. There are two F-season ticket holders near my seats that ask some questions but I often catch myself saying "I don't know you'll have to ask Wally that one"- in regards to things like why joesmith isn't being used more. The kinds of questions they do ask are certainly not newbie football questions.
giwiens
Starter
Location: you can know where I was or my direction of travel but not both

Does this count as a Women's Football League?

http://www.lingeriebowl.com
Roar Lions Roar