Pratt getting drunk this afternoon

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Apparently as part of some anti-drunk driving campaign, Pratt is supposed to be getting a BAC reading, then having a drink every fifteen minutes on The Team this afternoon. They're doing it in that order so they have a baseline before he starts. :lol:

Reminds me of the episode of WKRP (why don't they ever show reruns of this like other shows?) where Johnny Fever and Venus Flytrap did a similar stunt, with reaction times measured after each drink. Of course, it backfired, with Fever's performance improving with each drink.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Bosco
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Apparently as part of some anti-drunk driving campaign, Pratt is supposed to be getting a BAC reading, then having a drink every fifteen minutes on The Team this afternoon.]
And Pratt's day is different in which way?? :lol:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Apparently as part of some anti-drunk driving campaign, Pratt is supposed to be getting a BAC reading, then having a drink every fifteen minutes on The Team this afternoon.]
He has to cut down for one day. Will he make it??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
:lol: Why should today be any different from any other day ?
MacNews
Team Captain

5:18pm..Pratt is sounding co-herent!
Ballistic Bob
Legend

This only proves he drinks everyday at work. BB :beer:
Wear orange or wear nothing
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Final score: five drinks over the course of three hours and he blew a 99 on the breathalyser — well above the legal limit of 80.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

why don't they ever show reruns of this like other shows?
You will find few people who were bigger fans of this show than me.

The answer is, they have a great deal of difficulty getting clearance for the songs they used to play on the show from the record labels. It's part of the reason it's taken so long to get the show out on DVD.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
why don't they ever show reruns of this like other shows?
You will find few people who were bigger fans of this show than me.

The answer is, they have a great deal of difficulty getting clearance for the songs they used to play on the show from the record labels. It's part of the reason it's taken so long to get the show out on DVD.
I was just reading pretty much the same thing on the show's imdb entry:
In the 1990s, reissues of the syndication of WKRP had nearly all music played by the DJs changed. While the original run of the series prided itself in both writing and acting by using current hit songs, it was later deemed too expensive to keep the rights for the originals in syndication (hundreds of thousands of dollars were at stake). Instead, songs were removed and replaced with "generic" studio music; even original "generic" music was replaced to avoid any possibility of later lawsuits. Because the actors often spoke over the music, voice impersonators were hired to emulate the actors in those scenes. In some cases this meant revising lines so that jokes about the song just played were removed, and changed to often-meaningless new titles.
CartWheelFan
All Star

sj-roc wrote:Final score: five drinks over the course of three hours and he blew a 99 on the breathalyser — well above the legal limit of 80.
I'm surprised they let anyone blow anything on the radio here, I mean that sounds like it would be more of a Howard Stern kind of thing :lol:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Who do they think they are kidding? Just another day at the office for Pratt. He looks like he is into the sauce regularly.

What's in that coffee cup, Dude?

Jackie Gleason of TV fame was a big-time drinker. He used to take the whole cast of whatever show on train rides from New York to Florida, drinking and partying all the way. "And awayyyy we go."

On his TV shows, he always had a cup of "coffee" beside him on a table. "How sweet it is!"
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
I caught the first 10 minutes of the show and Don Taylor said almost the same thing word for word! :lol: I believe another radio show (according to Pratt) was doing the same thing (NW :? ).
Tighthead
Legend

notahomer wrote:
Bosco wrote:
I caught the first 10 minutes of the show and Don Taylor said almost the same thing word for word! :lol: I believe another radio show (according to Pratt) was doing the same thing (NW :? ).
The other station was 1410 CFUN, which is from the same ownership group.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Dunigan mentions a stunt like this in his recent bio. Apparently, he and several Eskimos took a shot every 15 minutes, etc, and much to the chagrin of the police running the event, the Eskimos, to a man, got more productive scores on balance tests, etc.
I think you just solved the recent woes of The Team Formerly Known As The Evil Empire... too many teetotallers in the current lineup! :lol: Shhhhhhh.... let's keep that one under our hats! :lol:
On a similar note, does anyone remember the counter-attack contest they used to do between quarters at the dome? I recall thinking it ironic that they rewarded the participant that performed the best under 'drunk' conditions....

Cheers,

James
Yeah, I remember that... they had participants wear some sort of goggles that simulated the effects of intoxication and got them to attempt a chip shot FG. They could barely even get the ball off the tee, let alone more than a few feet off the ground. This wasn't very long ago, just shortly after Lui retired and he was working for a stint at ICBC, who IIRC were the ones organising this promotion. They even had Lui try a FG with the goggles on and of course he flamed out as well. The message was that if alcohol can so severely compromise the motor skills of even a Hall of Fame kicker, the rest of us don't stand a chance... ergo, don't drink and drive.