Which loss felt worst?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which loss felt worst?

50%
50%

Total votes: 40
Zarquon
Champion

In 2005 we were hosting the Grey Cup, had such a great start to the year, and came up empty the year before. That said we were in the mids of a big slide and the loss was not unexpected.

In 2007 we had our best record during the regular season, were favored in the game, the Grey Cup's eastern representative (Winnipeg) suffered a huge injury in the EDF and will start the game without their QB.

Yesterday I would have said 2007 but upon reflection 2005 was more of a disappointment as the Grey Cup was our party and we didn't get to go. Also since it is Winnipeg and Saskatchewan you have Milt possibly getting a cup at the end of his career, or a Saskatchewan team that will win only their third in almost a hundred years.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I agree... the Lions were in a huge slide at the end of the ’05 season but I still held out hope they could win and be in the Grey Cup at home, especially against a 3rd place Eskimos team that rallied late to beat the Stamps.

The Riders are a very good team that was breathing down the Lions' neck for first place right up until week #17. The rivalry is similar to the B.C./Winnipeg battles in the 80s when they met in three straight WFs.

I actually wasn't too surprised with Sunday's outcome given the odds suggested it was the Riders' turn, despite injuries to some key players. For the most part, they have given the Lions fits since Wally arrived here in ’03 ... especially their defensive line which was huge again on Sunday.
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

I was disappointed with the outcome, but let's be honest our offence was sketchy all year long. We won games we probably shouldn't have. I am already looking forward to next year, I"m sure some changes will happen and I look forward to seeing what those are. But I am 100% Mr. Ackles, Coach Buono and the team. It was a great year and I believe next year will be better.
Tighthead
Legend

In 2005, I felt we were still going to be the best team going forward. Now, I am not so sure. The QB situation is delicate and vexing. The D is still formidable, and Joe Smith is all you can ask for in a RB. There don't seem to be any gaping holes in the roster, but their are areas that need attention.

I see us remaining competitive, but not the clear favourite in the west next season and beyond.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

No question, 2005. The Lions had come off a disappointing GC loss, had another strong team and were hosting a sold-out Cup the following week. The second half of the season had been a disappointment but the WDF was close and winnable right up to the end.

I did not expect the Lions to repeat as champs this year. They were defending champs and weren't as hungry. The Riders took it to them, and they couldn't respond.
smphantom
Legend

2005 was worse due to the fact we were in the GC in '04 and lost, and we were one win away from getting there again. This years loss still stings, and I am still sulking but, I don't think I will dwell on it all winter/spring as I did after the '05 loss.
Stay thirsty my friends.
Blitz
Team Captain

2005 was worse for me! We had our first string quarterback starting in Dickenson and were playing a third place Edmonton team who were fortunate to be in the Western Final because Calgary turned the football over 6 times in the West semi-final.

We were by far the more superior team and should have gone all the way! Instead we had to watch the agony of the Evil Empire winning the whole thing!! Our offence was awful in the game and Edmonton's defense were all over our receivers.

Yesterday was different. There really wasn't much difference between our Leos and the Riders. If Jarious had not driven us for two late touchdowns, including the third down touchdown toss to Simon, the Riders would have finished in first place. Our Western Final loss yesterday was very disappointing but the loss was not as surprising as 2005.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
chimpy

i think this year because i have forgot about 2005 already.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Sunday I would said 2007 but I voted 2005. Again as noted by others, the Grey Cup loss in 2004 and a unnamed 'problem' involving an offensive position :wink: . The late season slide and then choking on the chance to host the Grey Cup. This hurts now but I'm going to give this years Grey Cup Champs their due and look forward to next year.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

07, losing to saskatchewan makes me sick to my stomach. dunno why, it just does
2012 Season Ticket Holder
hexx

Hard to say. Interestingly, the poll is split as of right now.

Watching the Esks hoist the cup in our barn was the ultimate humiliation. I will feel a lot better about this year if the the Riders crap their pants in Toronto.

The 2005 meltdown was like a train wreck in slow motion. Every painful detail was revealed over the last few games of the season. This year's loss came as a bit more of a surprise. Along with the 2004 GC loss, all three have a certain air of futility about them - they would be easier to stomach if it felt like we played our best and our best just wasn't good enough.
MacNews
Team Captain

I think 2005 was definitely the worst..to lose the WDF then the next week watch Edmonton win the Cup, all in your dome.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

For me it's '07. In '05 we were in such a slide that my expectations had already been destroyed by the time the WF arrived. This year we were looking to defend our crown and had set a team record for wins and were playing a team that was banged up while we had started getting healthier. When we lost in '05 it was just a frustrated sense of "more of the same," while Sunday felt like getting sucker punched.
Rammer
Team Captain

05 plain and simple, we actually had a chance to win that game, and got a difficult non call against Simon in the endzone on should have been the second to last play of the game. That and we aren't sitting on just having won the GC the previous year as we have in the WDF 07 loss, which seems to have a similar effect on the players this season. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think they both pale in comparison to the 88 cup. No getting over that til we taste bittersweet revenge. Hopefully in winnipeg.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back