Chapdelaine Fired in Edmonton

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DerekDD
Starter

Maciocia stays, Esks fire three coaches
Vicki Hall, edmontonjournal.com
Published: Tuesday, November 13, 2007
The Edmonton Eskimos have called a news conference for 1:30 p.m. today to announce major changes to the coaching staff.

Sources say offensive coordinator/associate head coach Jacques Chapdelaine, special-teams coordinator Scott Squires and offensive line coach Carl Brennan have all been fired.

Danny Maciocia will retain the positions of head coach and director of football operations.

Chapdelaine left the defending Grey Cup champion B.C. Lions last winter to take control of the offence with the understanding he would be first in line to become the next head coach in Edmonton. Squires was hired around the same time.

Brennan worked for two years in Edmonton after a stint with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

The Eskimos (5-12-1) are coming off their second straight year out of the playoffs after qualifying for the post-season 34 years in a row.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

IIRC, Chap was given at least a two year contract when he went to Edmonton. Therefore, he will get paid out on his contract, and probably find himself a CIS gig for next year. (Sometimes being fired can be very profitable.) He would also be a popular hire in Montreal for obvious reasons.

I don't think anyone will hold this year against him. It is obvious to anyone who examines Edmonton's situation that they had both injuries and personnel problems, in addition to a clueless head coach who is surfing off the glory of one lucky Grey Cup win in '05. (Hint -- when your head coach doesn't know what down it is during the Grey Cup, that's a pretty strong clue that he isn't a very good game manager.) Chapdelaine is clearly being scapegoated in order to leave Edmonton media and fans with the illusion that action is being taken.

I always find it distasteful when a head coach throws a bunch of assistants under the bus in order to buy himself some breathing room. You only get to do that once, though -- in '08, Danny M will either have to win, or saddle up and leave town.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Bosco
Team Captain

Danny Maciocia and Jim Popp have one thing in common - living on yesterday's laurels. Popp deflects all blame on the Als sorry 2007 season, while Chapdelaine (among others) are the scape goats for a sub par Edmonton team.

Tough break for Chappy.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

They kept the main problem if you ask me...
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
chimpy

Edmonton is turing into a joke, Remember how powerful they use to be, with the eskimos and the oilers,? Well if the canucks can win us a Stanly cup, and the lions win the grey cup, we are the city of Champions.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote:They kept the main problem if you ask me...
:whs: ....and pretty much every Eskimo fan out there feels the same way, I'd wager! That's not to say that Chapdelaine was totally without blame, but the wrong people are still in the wrong places, IMO.
Real women wear orange!!
Rammer
Team Captain

Agreed, but that purge was created by Maciocia, he has to lay the blame somewhere, and Campbell jr seems to get a free pass in the organization.
Last edited by Rammer on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Agree with OS99...Chapdelaine will probably find a CIS job like someone mentioned, or the Als. I'm more than happy with our offence in BC with the comitee.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

I agree, a lot of other people think that too here in Edmonton.....
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

Ricky Ray getting injured this year like he did saved Maciocia's job.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can't believe the chipmunk survived the purge.
Dan Russell
Legend

As long as Maciocia is still there the Eskies will not have a good turn around and will sputter still.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The problem starts with LeLacheur and Maciocia. As long as they're calling the shots, the Esks will remain doormats.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Agreed, but that purge was created by Maciocia, he has to lay the blame somewhere, and Campbell jr seems to get a free pass in the organization.
Now that's a curious one; Rick Campbell, architect of the Full Blitz Cover Zero D is given a free ride to next season. That sound you hear is Geroy Simon and Milt Stegall giggling.

Maciocia had to throw somebody under the bus, or else it would have been himself, a la Shivers. Shivers took the hit for Danny Barrett, but Danny...not so much.
Dan Russell
Legend

Now that's a curious one; Rick Campbell, architect of the Full Blitz Cover Zero D is given a free ride to next season. That sound you hear is Geroy Simon and Milt Stegall giggling.
:lol: I guess Campbell stayed due to injuries and lack of personal. That is the only reason I can think of that he is still in the Eskimo personal.