Chapdelaine to be Sacrificed in Edmonton?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Time for Esks to cut from the top

Chapdelaine scapegoat as LeLacheur, Maciocia drive CFL club into ground

Dan Barnes The Edmonton Journal Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Jacques Chapdelaine did not have tire tracks on his back Monday, which only means the team bus is late.

Because all signs point to him being thrown under it. Any day now, in fact.

Edmonton Eskimos president Rick LeLacheur and head coach/director of football operations Danny Maciocia, the men who should be held responsible for an embarrassing 5-12-1 record, have apparently been set free to sacrifice their offensive co-ordinator and pilot this franchise even further into the ground.

Their reckless driving has already gone unchecked for two years because the team's board of directors has missed the bus all together. Directors were always loath to criticize the legendary Hugh Campbell and LeLacheur enjoys and employs the same carte blanche as his predecessor, despite a dearth of football credentials.

For reasons that boggle, LeLacheur has sought his football savvy from Maciocia, who has demonstrated precious little acumen. Despite a mountain of statistics that suggest immediate change at the top is necessary, LeLacheur is determined to force-feed fans another year of Maciocia football and all it entails. Like back-to-back non-playoff finishes for the first time in four decades. Worst special teams, ever. Worst losing streak in 36 years. No all-stars for the first time in 44 years. Tied last year's tally of 399 points, fewest since 1998. Allowed 509 points against, the most since 2000.

In three seasons, Maciocia's teams have suffered 30 losses. In four seasons, Tom Higgins' teams lost 28 times. Higgins was fired, Maciocia promoted. If Maciocia goes 4-14 next year, will they make him chief executive officer, too?

We may get to find out. Their starting quarterback is coming off a major injury to his throwing shoulder. Their best Canadian defensive lineman is also on the mend and their go-to slotback has a bum knee. The rest of their receiving corps, but for the resurgent Kamau Peterson, is eminently forgettable.

They need a punter, O and D linemen and linebackers. Their Canadian depth is a rumour. Their recent draft record is incriminating.

Add it up and I'm all in favour of change at the top right now, but it apparently isn't going to happen. LeLacheur calls the shots and word is he has decided Maciocia is safe. So let's make this coming season a referendum on both men, shall we.

If they don't serve up actual results to accompany all the franchise Kool-Aid some media types have swallowed for two years, can we all agree the directors should wake up and toss the both of them?

For now, Chapdelaine appears to be their prime scapegoat, though perhaps not the only one. As the Eskimos cleaned out their lockers Monday, he said wants to come back, but you may have noticed a stunning lack of corporate support for him in recent weeks.

LeLacheur has gone to bat for Maciocia and director of player personnel Paul Jones. Maciocia has defended Jones. Starting quarterback Ricky Ray has spoken up for Maciocia. Nobody of any import has come to Chapdelaine's defence in anything but a lacklustre way. On Monday, for instance, Maciocia reiterated his opinion of Chapdelaine's work as "pretty good."

Chapdelaine is always demanding and occasionally crude, which has apparently rubbed LeLacheur the wrong way and that's not good for job security. His intricate offensive system leaves no room for error, so he does not suffer fools gladly, and goodness knows there were enough of those passing through here.

Maciocia hired Chapdelaine last year with the intent of making him the head coach sooner than later, and will have to admit his first major hire was a mistake. Either that, or take the fall himself. So you know how that's going to go.

Though he is wildly unpopular with fans, Maciocia has allies in the room. He's a players' coach, a nice guy. Despite finishing last as nice guys do, he will be free to repeat his mistakes next year, perhaps with Rick Worman as offensive co-ordinator. That would mean more Maciocia input on the offence, which can't be a good thing.

He already has two titles too many and that is apparently his salvation here, since there is a notion popularized by a legion of fence-sitters in this city that you can't blow the organization up and immediately move forward. The 12-6 Saskatchewan Rough-riders prove you can.

The sycophants who accept every Eskimos personnel decision as if it has been rendered by the infallible will also suggest the team's spiral into the toilet is cyclical. Good one. It's actually tied directly to the coaching brainfarts and personnel mistakes made by the franchise leadership in the last two years. This is not a 34 years in, two years out, 34 years in cycle of playoff berths. For 34 consecutive years they made the playoffs. Enter Maciocia. One year later, exit the Eskimos. That is cause and effect. Maciocia's record speaks for itself and the fans hear it loud and clear, but LeLacheur isn't listening.

"I think we're a better team than the number of points we have," the president said Monday.

You are a team that should concern itself with the number of fans you have today and the fact you are slapping them in the face. You should be aware that sort of arrogance will have an effect at the ticket wicket.

"I know there's a lot of heat out there from the fan base," said retiring kicker Sean Fleming. "They're looking for blood."

And they will not be the least bit happy to see all of it on Chapdelaine.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Many of us on Lionbackers have been critical of Jacques. He left us in the lurch at the start of the year, and Wally had to scramble to fill the OC position. Many of us also thought he was arrogant and abrasive at times. It seems some of the Eskimos feel the same way.

The wallowing ship that is the Edmonton Eskimos may be prepared to make Jacques the sacrificial lamb for their ineptitude this year (and last year, but they cannot blame that on Jacques).

Personally I think Jacques is a very competent coach. He may be stuck somewhat in an overreliance on the old version of the Hufnagel offense with its emphasis on short passes, with poor protection for the QB. But he has shown the ability to lead his troops.

IMHO he is not "the problem" in Edmonton, and sacrificing him is not "the answer" to their problems. I would put that on Rick LeLacheur and Danny Maciocia. I hope the EE does not sink so far into the abyss that it hurts the CFL. We will see.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Many of us on Lionbackers have been critical of Jacques. He left us in the lurch at the start of the year, and Wally had to scramble to fill the OC position. Many of us also thought he was arrogant and abrasive at times. It seems some of the Eskimos feel the same way.

The wallowing ship that is the Edmonton Eskimos may be prepared to make Jacques the sacrificial lamb for their ineptitude this year (and last year, but they cannot blame that on Jacques).

Personally I thing Jacques is a very competent coach. He may be stuck somewhat in an overreliance on the old version of the Hufnagel offense with its emphasis on short passes, with poor protection for the QB. But he has shown the ability to lead his troops.

IMHO he is not "the problem" in Edmonton, and sacrificing him is not "the answer" to their problems. I would put that on Rick LeLacheur and Danny Maciocia. I hope the EE does not sink so far into the abyss that it hurts the CFL. We will see.
Agreed. The Esks' problems start with lack of talent and Canadian depth.
LFITQ
Team Captain

The Esks' problems start with lack of talent and Canadian depth.
There was a point in time when no one believed this statement would EVER be made!
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Power-O-O-O-O
Starter

WestCoastJoe wrote: I hope the EE does not sink so far into the abyss that it hurts the CFL. We will see.
Let them sink a bit more. I don't mind.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

This is a gate driven league.

As such, history has proven that you cannot afford to stand pat and tacitly or explicitly endorse a directionless regime. This is a critical mistake on the part of the EE board. They need to clean house, top down, now.

As for JC, I'm sure there's a distinct possibility he'll fall up into a CIS position or one of high profile in Montreal.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:This is a gate driven league.

As such, history has proven that you cannot afford to stand pat and tacitly or explicitly endorse a directionless regime. This is a critical mistake on the part of the EE board. They need to clean house, top down, now.

As for JC, I'm sure there's a distinct possibility he'll fall up into a CIS position or one of high profile in Montreal.
Well they have been able to acquire their deficiencies in the past through FA, but with the SMS they are in between a rock and a hard place on that front now. It will take at minimum of two seasons for that to change, unless they get very lucky. Having RR costs them too much room on the Cap level.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

By JONATHAN HUNTINGTON, SUN MEDIA

In the middle of growing speculation about his possible departure from the Edmonton Eskimos, offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine says he wants to come back next year.

"All I can tell you is that I would love to be here," said Chapdelaine, who also carried the title of associate head coach this season.

"I think we have established some good things right now. I would like to see us going into training camp -- as opposed to teaching formations, teaching motions and concepts and reads for the quarterback.

"We can hit the ground right away in full stride (next year)."

But after a brutal 5-12-1 season ended on Saturday in Hamilton, speculation mounted that Chapdelaine could be fired with at least another year left on his contract.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't look at all the case scenarios," said Chapdelaine when asked if he expected to come back next year. "I would hope I could be back. I think the players are excited about what we can do next year."

While the offence struggled during long stretches this year -- scoring just 371 points in total, third-worst in the CFL -- Chapdelaine had to deal with injuries to quarterback Ricky Ray, running back Tyler Ebell and receivers Jason Tucker and T.J. Acree.

After learning a new system this year, there is certainly validity in the thought the offence will be better next season in Chapdelaine's second year on the job.

However, rumours continue to swirl that Chapdelaine's intense nature rubbed some players the wrong way.

With that backdrop, head coach Danny Maciocia didn't step forward yesterday and publicly invite his offensive co-ordinator back for next year.

While it's widely expected Maciocia will return as head coach and director of football operations, don't expect to hear any news on Chapdelaine's future with the team until at least next week.

"I think what I need to do is just go back and take a look at everything we did offensively, defensively and on special teams and really break it down by position," said Maciocia.

"At that point in time I will probably have a pretty good understanding of what I want to do (with the assistant coaches). Having said that, I think Jacques is no different than a lot of us. He has done a pretty good job."

When asked if Chapdelaine's demanding style with the players is an issue, Maciocia dodged the question.

"You know what is great about this industry? You can go from being real hot to real cold," said the bench boss.

Chapdelaine said he doesn't believe his coaching style -- which is rumoured to be condescending behind closed doors at times -- is wrong.

"I think you have to be demanding," he remarked.

After being the offensive co-ordinator of the 2006 Grey Cup champion B.C. Lions, Chapdelaine is now under intense scrutiny in Edmonton. There is already speculation of quarterback coach Rick Worman potentially being the new offensive co-ordinator.

In 2001, Worman was the offensive co-ordinator of the Grey Cup finalist Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"All I can tell you is that I would love to be here," said Chapdelaine, who also carried the title of associate head coach this season."

He says he wants to be back in Edmonton. That might be one piece of the mosaic unfolding. However, IMHO if Jacques could jump to a good opportunity, I expect he would take it.
However, rumours continue to swirl that Chapdelaine's intense nature rubbed some players the wrong way.

Chapdelaine said he doesn't believe his coaching style -- which is rumoured to be condescending behind closed doors at times -- is wrong.

"I think you have to be demanding," he remarked.

When asked if Chapdelaine's demanding style with the players is an issue, Maciocia dodged the question.
No vote of confidence there for Jacques' style.
With that backdrop, head coach Danny Maciocia didn't step forward yesterday and publicly invite his offensive co-ordinator back for next year.

"I think what I need to do is just go back and take a look at everything we did offensively, defensively and on special teams and really break it down by position," said Maciocia.
No vote of confidence there for wanting Jacques back.
"You know what is great about this industry? You can go from being real hot to real cold," said the bench boss.
Dumb thing to say. What could possibly be good about going from hot to cold in sports? D'oh.

Personally, despite his faults, I think Jacques is about twice or three times the coach that Maciocia is. And that is despite the fact that I prefer to have the OCs we have with the Lions, rather than Jacques.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

By that standard, Maciocia has done a "great" job himself.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

The "sacrificial lamb" as you call him Joe should be forced back into the inter-collegial ranks and bomb out there as well.

That guy is the most arrogant, brazen, ingrate pretender to even stink out a park, and the one and only reason he wears a GC ring with the Lions is because of the brilliant mind of ex-head coach David Ritchie to carry his sorry ass to the finish line.
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:The "sacrificial lamb" as you call him Joe should be forced back into the inter-collegial ranks and bomb out there as well.

That guy is the most arrogant, brazen, ingrate pretender to even stick out a park, and the one and only reason he wears a GC ring with the Lions is because of the brilliant mind of ex-head coach David Ritchie to carry his sorry ass to the finish line.
No. He worked as hard as anyone else did and most of his players, including Lion82 appreciate his past efforts. he deserves his ring as much as anyone.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Metro Sports - Marty York

• We’re told Danny Maciocia has somehow talked his way into keeping his job as head coach of the hapless Edmonton Eskimos.

• Offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine, however, will be Maciocia’s newest fall guy. Chapdelaine’s out.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Whatever his drawbacks or talents, Coach Chapdelaine should still be recognized as an integral part of the Lions 2006 Grey Cup Championship team, because he was.

Whether or not Marty York is correct is moot, because Marty is not credible in the eyes of many, if not most.

He came into a situation in Edmonton where there was a veteran feel to the team, with many older players; in 2007, they had close to 17 new faces starting if memory serves. Any rebuilding team is going to have trials and tribulations, and cannot be champions overnight. The SMS hampered the old Eskimos way of flying in players mid season, because they couldn't spend as they had in past years.

IF Chapdelaine survives the next offseason, the Esks can continue the job of rebuilding. If not, it's Hamilton all over again.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

One of my finest fiends from the Island said to to me once ...so you don't have Jacque Chapedlaine wall paper on your bedroom walls then???

1983?

I said NO!!!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis