Dave Ritchie retiring ?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Herb Dhaliwal of NW reported on the noon news that this would be Dave Ritchie's last season with the Lions. The front runners to replace him are Benivides and former Rider coach Jim Daly.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

:sigh: Somewhat expected but still sad to hear. I worry about our Defence without Dave's leadership. Hopefully we'll be able to repeat and win another Grey Cup before Dave calls it quits, he's been a god send to this coaching staff. Maybe winning the Grey Cup though would inspire him to come back for one final season to attempt the three-peat, we can only hope. :cr:
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I think Ritchie may be retiring from the Lions, but not from the league. He said earlier this season that he still thinks he can be an effective head coach and want's another opportunity. He knows he won't get that in BC, so he will be moving on, but I doubt to retirement. He might rather sign on as the D Coord for a weaker team, then move up to HC if the opportunity arrises.
I thought the same thing when I read his retirement from the Lions, but he did say he wanted to be a HC once again, and this doesn't exactly suggest that is coming. As for the Lions, Benevides seems like a logical choice for the move up.
Entertainment value = an all time low
wildthing
All Star

Maybe Dave is thinking about Hamilton?
David
Team Captain

I think Montreal would be a much more logical destination should he decide to continue his coaching career. I don't see Jim Popp lasting as a HC beyond this season, and he's from the East Coast.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DerekDD
Starter

wildthing wrote:Maybe Dave is thinking about Hamilton?
More like Montreal is my guess.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Wally been talking about retiring for some time now...

I think what you will see is if we can manage to recapture our tittle, on this seasons run at the GC, then rather than the double whammy of losing Dave Ritchie from our organization, and having to play against him in the future, Wally will retire to the GM position and hand Dave the reigns of the HC position.

Thus insuring the team is passed on down to very worthy and savy old friend, whom he knows he can continue to work with, for the benfit of future success in the Lion's organization.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Rammer
Team Captain

PigSkin_53 wrote:Wally been talking about retiring for some time now...

I think what you will see is if we can manage to recapture our tittle, on this seasons run at the GC, then rather than the double whammy of losing Dave Ritchie from our organization, and having to play against him in the future, Wally will retire to the GM position and hand Dave the reigns of the HC position.

Thus insuring the team is passed on down to very worthy and savy old friend, whom he knows he can continue to work with, for the benfit of future success in the Lion's organization.
I think if that was the case then this wouldn't have come out in the media and it would have been kept behind closed doors. That Ritchie has made it public indicates to me that he knows that Wally is sticking around for another year or more. He may have let this out to spark some interest in the Montreal/Hamilton positions that may open up after the season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If the Evil Empire is smart (and they are not), they would try to hire Dave Ritchie to salvage that sinking ship.

If Dave Ritchie is truly retiring, I wish him well. His contributions to the CFL and to the Lions are immeasurable.

Best wishes, Dave.
Bobbyp
Champion

A great players coach
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:If the Evil Empire is smart (and they are not), they would try to hire Dave Ritchie to salvage that sinking ship.

If Dave Ritchie is truly retiring, I wish him well. His contributions to the CFL and to the Lions are immeasurable.

Best wishes, Dave.
Bite your bite Joe, that's the worst case scenario, another defection to the darkside and one far too close for our comfort being in the same conferance, and having the history of bad blood that we have between our two teams. :shock:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Benevides will take over from Wally when he moves upstairs full time.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Personally, I would hate to see Dave Ritchie or Mike Benevides go to Edmonton. But a guy has to make a career move when the chance arrives.

It is way more money and power.

Hopefully, the Evil Empire is too stupid to approach those guys. My guess is if Danny MyChipmunk escapes upstairs, it will go to Chapdelaine or Campbell. I have long suspected that Huey set this situation up as a no-win deal for the Chipmunk so that his boy Rick can take over after the inevitable collapse of the team under Maciocia.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Personally, I would hate to see Dave Ritchie or Mike Benevides go to Edmonton. But a guy has to make a career move when the chance arrives.

It is way more money and power.

Hopefully, the Evil Empire is too stupid to approach those guys. My guess is if Danny MyChipmunk escapes upstairs, it will go to Chapdelaine or Campbell. I have long suspected that Huey set this situation up as a no-win deal for the Chipmunk so that his boy Rick can take over after the inevitable collapse of the team under Maciocia.
The Chip & Chap Show -- I love it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.