JJ's starting on Friday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joesports
All Star

Lowell Ullrich, The Province
Published: Monday, October 01, 2007
Contrition is not a quality normally displayed by Wally Buono, but a lesson learned by the coach of the Lions two years ago is about to come into play during the home stretch of the CFL's regular season.

Buono met the test when he stated Jarious Jackson would be his starting quarterback to face the 8-4-1 Winnipeg Blue Bombers in a battle of division leaders Friday.

It is, of course, hardly a bold declaration these days. Jackson has helped his team average 33.8 points in the five games since he took over as starter, and has continued to evolve with his reads every game.

However, Jackson may not have one other healthy starting candidate at practice but two in Buck Pierce and Dave Dickenson.

Buono had barely finished a film review of Saturday's 42-9 battering of Calgary when he mapped out a practice schedule of quarterback reps for the upcoming week in the event either or both are on the field.

Jackson has changed as a quarterback. But Buono has also done some growing of his own, admitting the way he handled the Dickenson-Casey Printers affair is affecting his approach when faced with a potential abundance of options.

It's another reason why, if the Lions continue to pile up wins in a season wrought with injury issues, Buono is making another case for coach of the year more compelling than when his team was clearly the class of the CFL during their march to the Grey Cup.

"What I learned from 2005 is that by trying to protect them I'm hurting them," he said. "By not naming a starter you're trying to protect them from distractions. I was trying to take pressure off the players. Maybe that wasn't healthy."

Pierce's recovery from a shoulder injury progressed to where Buono asked him if he wanted snaps in garbage time Saturday.

Pierce took one look at Jackson as he was posting his first 300-yard passing game and said the starter deserved to continue.

"Tell me any quarterback in the league who is playing better," said slotback Geroy Simon.

No, if there's any issue with Jackson at all for the Lions it's deciding when to offer him a new contract before he can explore offseason free agency.

"Now's not the time," Buono said. "Besides, Jarious knows how I feel about him. I've always been beating his drum."

Buono's biggest issue is too few kickers. Paul McCallum bruised a hip against Calgary and the Lions may not know until Wednesday if he can play at Winnipeg. Buono's hardly of the belief Bret Anderson would be his logical replacement either.

South Fraser junior Sean Whyte has practised with the Lions all year as a territorial protection. However, Buono will proceed as cautiously with Whyte, knowing his amateur status would be lost if he were activated, as he did with receiver Josh Boden under similar circumstances the past two years.

With the wink of an eye, Buono even tossed out the idea of asking NFL veteran Mitch Berger of North Delta if he's interested in a game or two. But as he was under NFL contract last year, his CFL negotiation list rights still reside with the Bombers.

At least the Lions don't have to worry about quarterbacks.

I think JJ's earned the starting spot for this week. It would be nice to see Dave at least dress for a game soon, but I don't see him being ready to play yet. I think it was a bit surprising that Buck didn't get any game time on Saturday, but possibly he's not 100% yet either.
BEEECEEE
All Star

Well the coach has admitted that he handled the printers/dickenson issue the wrong way. It's about time some members on lionbackers do as well.
Formely sfu_guy
Hutch85
All Star

Pierce took one look at Jackson as he was posting his first 300-yard passing game and said the starter deserved to continue
Now that's being a team player :) Kudos to you Buck, glad you've recovered and also glad to see your team spirit!

Congrats to JJ too!
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Hutch85 wrote:
Pierce took one look at Jackson as he was posting his first 300-yard passing game and said the starter deserved to continue
Now that's being a team player :) Kudos to you Buck, glad you've recovered and also glad to see your team spirit!

Congrats to JJ too!
Excellent team harmony! Something we did not have in 2005. The more JJ plays at this level, the less I think of CP and the turmoil he caused a couple seasons ago. :rockin:
chimpy

yeah i agree that casey printers fiaasco
, looks more and more like we made the right choice not to sign him.

and i hosently do not think he would have helped attendance either.

Maybe at the begining, but when the fans get use to how he bad was playing, it would drop even worse.
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

JJ has earned the start. He played a great game this week against the stamps. The wind will be a factor in Winnipeg and his strong arm will help. Very unselfish from Buck :thup:
Lets Go Lions!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

BEEECEEE wrote:Well the coach has admitted that he handled the printers/dickenson issue the wrong way. It's about time some members on lionbackers stop crying about it as well.
Fixed.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The title of this thread should probably be changed to "JJ Starts Until Further Notice."
mightybuck
Legend

comments deleted
Last edited by mightybuck on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
chimpy

i totaly agree mightybuck everything you said.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Did anyone catch the bomb Ed Willes mentioned today about Steve Simmons' column?
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are a team divided. Half the team can't stand new quarterback Casey Printers, the other half merely dislikes him ...
A very loaded statement that needs to be expanded for some validity.
Rammer
Team Captain

mightybuck wrote:quote concerning CP
looks more and more like we made the right choice not to sign him.
I have not posted a thing on here about Casey during this whole discussion before his signing - but I will say something now.

Casey has a pulled hamstring and has now sat out 1 game and most of the game he started. This hamstring problem started in KC - whats interesting is that there was not one mention of this injury in the media or on any of the discussion threads before his signing. In fact - when he went out of the game the discussion at halftime on TSN was that this was probably mild and he would miss perhaps a game. Ok - he has. However, the tone of the TSN announcers was that this was a new injury -not a lingering one - they never made a comment that this had happened during the Chiefs pre-season. For those of us who have had pulled hamstrings in sports know full well - that they can take a long time to heal and can be re-injured easily if not fully recovered. With all that said - if BC had signed Casey that hamstring would have been pulled again on one of his runs - mark it down and there we would be sitting with yet another injured QB - all the while we had yet another capable QB in Jarious just needing the playing time to get up to speed and Buck and Dave - healing. I am wondering if Casey or his agent was not fully honest with Hamilton in regards to the hamstring. Or in all fairness to Casey - he really didnt think it would be a problem and neither did Hamilton (if they knew about it)- point is tho - he did re-injure it and it was hurt before the signing and no one seemed to know about it. Thats a whole lot of money (wrapped up in one paycheck) that was put out for a guy who had just one great year in the CFL compared to others like Ricky Ray - Yes -he was MOP - but still, so far, has really had just one good year. (but thats another subject).

Personally I am glad Casey is there and we have Dave, Buck and Jarious - the best trio of QBs in the league -
Interesting, that is news that the CFL could have used before his sweepstakes came into play. It is also interesting that CP got a ton up front money.
Entertainment value = an all time low
wildthing
All Star

SammyGreene wrote:Did anyone catch the bomb Ed Willes mentioned today about Steve Simmons' column?
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are a team divided. Half the team can't stand new quarterback Casey Printers, the other half merely dislikes him ...
I think its simple Casey came in and spoke his mind to the locker room the first few days of practice. The rest of the team has endured a hard season and to have a new guy (Qb or not) come in and spout off isn't a good way to make an impression.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Did anyone catch the bomb Ed Willes mentioned today about Steve Simmons' column?
I think its simple Casey came in and spoke his mind to the locker room the first few days of practice. The rest of the team has endured a hard season and to have a new guy (Qb or not) come in and spout off isn't a good way to make an impression.
Nice new avy. :mac: