McCallum doubtful for Friday, DD may dress.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Excellent update on the Lions' injury status on the TSN site:
The only new injury for the Lions this week is kicker Paul McCallum who has a bruised hip. With a short week, he is doubtful for the game in Winnipeg. If McCallum can't go, backup receiver Brett Anderson will handle the place-kicking duties. They are not sure weather Anderson will also punt or if they would activate rookie Sean Whyte. He is a junior player with the South Surrey Rams but has been practicing with the Lions most of the season... Jarious Jackson is coming off the best game of his pro career (23 of 28, 307 yds, 3 TD, 0 int) and will continue to be the Lions starting quarterback. Wally will not conceed at any point that he is now "the starter" for the rest of the season, but essentially he is until he struggles for an extended period... Buck Pierce says he is pain free from his separated shoulder and able to play. But he is not 100% and will not be for the rest of the season. If he takes a hit on the shoulder, he is more suseptable to re-injuring it. That being said, if Jarious wasnt playing well the Lions would certainly take that chance... Dave Dickenson threw in full pads last week and took part in all of practice. He is planning to do a heavy workout today and if it goes well, he will do more in practice during the week. The hope is he will take all the scout team reps and a few reps with the offense. There is a chance he will be activated this week and dress as the No. 3 quarterback in Winnipeg. He is not 100% and not symptom free, but it has been 2 1/2 months now and he can deal with the symptoms he currently has and participate in a controlled setting like practice. The big question is, what happens if he takes a hit? ... CB Dante Marsh will be activated this week. He is coming off a 3rd degree MCL tear and has been practicing with the team for the past 2-3 weeks. They had him on the 9 week injured list and he is finally eligible to come off and play. - TSN
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Easy solution: score touchdowns and let Anderson do the converts.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Way to misspell the word "concede" TSN!
GeeBrr

Lions4ever wrote:Way to misspell the word "concede" TSN!
How about them misspelling "whether" as weather? Geez :shock:
Blitz
Team Captain

I really can't see the sense of dressing Dickenson yet if he is not 100%!

Dave can still be on the sidelines, helping the team with his presence and talking to Jarious or Buck for that matter! However, should the unimagined happen and both Jarious and Buck get hurt against Winnipeg....would we really want to put Dickenson out there! I think not, at this point. Better to give him more time. There are still five games left before the playoffs!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:I really can't see the sense of dressing Dickenson yet if he is not 100%!

Dave can still be on the sidelines, helping the team with his presence and talking to Jarious or Buck for that matter! However, should the unimagined happen and both Jarious and Buck get hurt against Winnipeg....would we really want to put Dickenson out there! I think not, at this point. Better to give him more time. There are still five games left before the playoffs!
Agreed, at this point the Lions are much better to have Guidugli as a viable third if we need it. However my thoughts on JJ are that he is one solid QB, and the only reason to move to BP should that come to be, is a game that has been decided already.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I really can't see the sense of dressing Dickenson yet if he is not 100%!

You owe it to the guy to let him dress, be the third and see how he handles it.

This may not be the best game, but it should happen some time. No?
Blitz
Team Captain

Agreed, at this point the Lions are much better to have Guidugli as a viable third if we need it. However my thoughts on JJ are that he is one solid QB, and the only reason to move to BP should that come to be, is a game that has been decided already.
quote]
You owe it to the guy to let him dress, be the third and see how he handles it.

This may not be the best game, but it should happen some time. No?
[/quote]

No, in my view cro! You only dress a guy if you are prepared to play him! I seriously doubt we are prepared to play him yet! DD ran some scout team reps last week and may get some reps this week with the starters if he still feels ok. However, if he is symptom free they should still wait another week before dressing him.

There has to be a reasonable period of time of being symptom free and practicing hard. One week of practice, with limited reps with the first team is not enough to dress a quarterback with the potential of having to play, even if it is a long shot. It's a short week! Better to dress him for the following game if all looks ok. It's not as if we need the boost of having him dressed although, on the other hand, it could be good for Dave's spirits.

It was good to see him smiling on the sidelines last game..a very good sign!! Patience is a virtue and it's always better to err on the side of caution in this situation!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is the make-or-break week for Dickenson. He has said that if he doesn't dress this week he might shut it down for the season. If all goes well in practice, let him dress as the No. 3 QB. He's being well paid, he's following doctor's orders and he wants to come back.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:This is the make-or-break week for Dickenson. He has said that if he doesn't dress this week he might shut it down for the season. If all goes well in practice, let him dress as the No. 3 QB. He's being well paid, he's following doctor's orders and he wants to come back.
This week may have been a target for him, but if he feels like he is getting very close, he will extend that time frame a week or two.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sharpo

Dave can still be on the sidelines, helping the team with his presence and talking to Jarious or Buck for that matter!
He should only be on the sidelines if his Doc can clear that. No one wants to risk permanent brain damage. My dad had it and it affected him till he passed on. 7 years seeing dad..quality of life just wasn't the same. Nothing should get in the way of recouping from his 3 concussions. intensity and all.

Everything I have read and seen at the Lions practices have shown me that he is not 100% yet. However..I am very relieved that he is getting better mentally. and physically. I'm sure his wife and kids are even happier. 8)
Power-O-O-O-O
Starter

Anyone else concerned that Anderson will be kicking FGs?
The last time I remember him attempting a FG was at the end of a game against Sask in '05. The kick was blocked.

When is the last time he made a FG in the CFL?
Sharpo

Power-O-O-O-O wrote:Anyone else concerned that Anderson will be kicking FGs?
The last time I remember him attempting a FG was at the end of a game against Sask in '05. The kick was blocked.

When is the last time he made a FG in the CFL?
are they absolutely sure that Lui won't be in Winnipeg?
LFITQ
Team Captain

I'm not worried. We'll just score more TD's instead. :rockin:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:I'm not worried. We'll just score more TD's instead. :rockin:
Yup, just eliminate all doubt! :thup:
Real women wear orange!!