FOUND: Lyle Green

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

After years and years (ok, it's probably only been 2) but they finally decided to use Lyle Green in more than a blocking role. Granted, it was only 1 play and it went for a 2 yd TD, but still.............
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

yeah :thup:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Yeah, well deserved. I'm pretty sure we've had him for 3-4 years. First time I've really noticed him with the ball!
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

It was great to see Lyle get that TD. He's a very underrated player for us that most casual fans wouldn't appreciate. But his lead blocking is a huge help in the running game in picking up extra blocks that the O-Line (heaven forbid) may miss. To see him rewarded with a TD was nice. Congrats Lyle!
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Checked it out, we've had him since 2001, and he has had only one touchdown since 2003. Yikes, and it was in '03.

That's right, starting FB and only two TD's in 5 years!:O
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions tried that pass to Green last year and he didn't catch it.

The Lions are still not using their running backs in the passing attack the way they did under previous offensive coordinators but they are getting better. That was Green's third catch this year. Joe Smith tied his season high with 4 catches last night (he also had 4 in the tie game in Calgary) and now has 15 catches for the season.

If you want a real appreciation of the worth of Lyle Green, just watch the way he blocks for Smith. He usually has to take out the first linebacker in the hole and he does a great job. Some of the best known players in the league have found themselves flat on their backs after Green's hits.
Blitz
Team Captain

The Lions are still not using their running backs in the passing attack the way they did under previous offensive coordinators but they are getting better. That was Green's third catch this year. Joe Smith tied his season high with 4 catches last night (he also had 4 in the tie game in Calgary) and now has 15 catches for the season.

If you want a real appreciation of the worth of Lyle Green, just watch the way he blocks for Smith. He usually has to take out the first linebacker in the hole and he does a great job. Some of the best known players in the league have found themselves flat on their backs after Green's hits.
I've been a huge Lyle Green fan for a long, long, time and have always believed that he was underutilized in our offence. I've wanted to see us use the "I" formation a lot more in the past and also wanted to see us run the football more, which is why I was so pleased with the new direction of Kruck and Dorazio this season. Early in the season some players were not buying into that new philosophy but they are now. We've not only needed to use the I formation more, and utilize Green more as a blocker but we also needed to have a more multi-dimensional running attack.

Last night, Green was utilized as the lead blocker, getting isolation blocks on the interior linebacker on the inside zone run and the kickout block on the stretch play. It was a very good way to attack a 3-4 defense. We also added the option play last night and it looked very good the way Jarious ran it and Ian Smart exploded.

However, I also agree with you B.C. Fan that we need to include our running backs more often in the I formation, in the passing attack. Buck is the only quarterback who uses Smith out of the backfleld out of our three quarterbacks. We have added the screen play to Smith but that's about it.

Off play action I would love to see us throw to both our backs on occasion. I also believe strongly that we should have a fullback screen because teams often key the tailback and don't account for him. The Chap hardly ever used Green (he only used him on short yardage last season) but the Chap did have a passing play that slipped Green deep.

I would also like to see us start including the fullback in the running attack on occasion, whether that is Smith lined up at fullback when Smart is in there or Green lined up at fullback when Smith plays tailback. We sometimes fake to the fullback on the counter, the the counter toss, and now the option play. However, teams will go less and less for that fake to the fullback, knowing we always go to the tailback. It would keep the defense honest and make our attack more effective!!

I've always believed Lyle Green was the best fullback in the league because of his versatility. He is an excellent lead blocker, an underrated runner (he can also play tailback, proving his running ability.. and in the past has looked good there on brief occasions), he has very good hands, and he has the speed to go deep on a route. It's great we're using him more and there are still more things he could do for us!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lyle Green reminds me of John Henry White. He does such a good job blocking, the Lions don't think of him as a RUNNING back.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Good U-Toledo kid that Lyle Green.
:thup:
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

He has decent size ( 6-1 217 pounds) which makes him a good blocker. I think that he is underused but i have noticed he has been used a little more recently, so it was nice to see him grab a TD. Hopefully there is more to come.
Lets Go Lions!