Leos/Stamps Post-Game Thoughts!!!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

It was a convincing 41-9 victory for our Leos over the Stamps as we dominated this game early and often. We're 9-3-1 and while there were all kinds of excuses from the television commentators about the Calgary quarterbacks... there have been none coming our way as we've had to use three quarterbacks this season.

Champions have to overcome and we're proving that we can handle all kinds of adversity this season and win when other teams can't meet those same challenges!! Another big win that gives us some big breathing room, at the top of the pack, with five games to go until the playoffs!!

OFFENCE

What a brilliant opening drive, called by Kruck and Dorazio, and executed to perfection by Jarious Jackson!!!! Our Leos started in the I formation with Green and Smith, as I hoped they would. They went play action right away and Jarious threw a bullet to Paris Jackson. Smith then picked up a first down on a zone stretch run and then Jackson found Geroy downfield on a beautifully run route. We then went I formation again with Smith and Smart this time and Jarious ran the option play brilliantly, stepping forward, before pitching it to Smart. Then, with Calgary expected a run on first and goal in comes Green with Smith and we go play action, hitting Green in the flat in the end zone. I just very impressed!!! I’ve advocated for the use of Lyle Green the past two seasons and it’s such a good feeling to see us using the most versatile fullback in the league as part of our offence this season.

On the second drive, Jarious called an audible and hit Paris in motion in the flat, then rolled out and hit Boden deep for a huge 48 yard gain and Joe Smith rambled into the end zone, on a great lead block from Lyle Green in the I formation. Before Calgary even had their blood flowing we were up 14-0 and Calgary was shell-shocked early. Anyone not like the dual coordinators role now or think we should have traded Jackson?. Relieved I stuck up all of them from the get go!! In the second quarter a 39 yard punt return by Ian Smart gave us good field position and Jarious Jackson used his legs to get us into field goal position and we went up 17-3.

Jarious Jackson hit Paris Jackson for a 27 yard pass, following Nealy’s fumble but failed to connect with Geroy Simon in the end zone, in double coverage and McCallum kicked his second field goal of the game. Jackson completed some nice throws, with time running out in the half but couldn’t punch it into the end zone but McCallum missed from 19 yards out, with 6 seconds left in the half ( in the same spot he missed in the 2004 Western Final and we went into the half with a 21-4 half time lead. Jarious Jackson needed to show that he could get off to a faster start in games and he did that going 13/17 in the first half for 189 passing yards. We also rushed for 89 yards on the ground with Smith, Smart, and Jackson himself all running effectively.

Jarious Jackson started the second half as hot as he started the first. He hit Josh Boden twice on excellent throws and also found Paris Jackson on the outside. Joe Smith rambled on a quick hitter and also ran a counter as our Leos opened up the running play book. Then, after throwing vertically all game up to this point, Jackson hit Clermont underneath on a delayed crossing pattern and Clermont scored easily to go ahead 28-4.

Jarious made a fantastic run to begin the fourth quarter but the play was called back on a holding call. However, it showed his speed and his strength.With time running out we proved how important a running game can be…we just gave Calgary a heavy dose of the Wrecking Crew and Joe Smith, as we dominated Calgary’s defense. With Jarious mixing in the occasional short pass we drove the football down Calgary’s throats. Jackson to Jackson into the end zone left a final exclamation mark!!

DEFENSE

We shut down Calgary on their opening series and while Akili Smith moved Calgary into our end of the field on their second series we held them again, holding Calgary’s offence down while we mounted that early two touchdown lead. We got Foley into the rotation early, on our second series and then used him again on our third series. Great to see Ritchie finally starting to start to keep our defensive line fresher! In the first quarter Ryan Phillips had a great knockdown as did Hunt and Brent Johnson stuffed Reynolds on a second down shovel play.

We rushed five defensive players a lot in the first and second quarters. Cameron Wake made a big tackle on Reynolds as our defense began to slant down from the defensive end postions and Korye Banks sacked Akili Smith on a blind side blitz. The hit put Akili Smith out and Calgary’s third string quarterback, Nealy, promptly came in and under pressure on a roll out was stripped by Ricky Foley and we touched the football last
before it went out of bounds.

With third string quarterback Nealy having to continue to replace Akili Smith our Leos stacked the line of scrimmage, lining up six players at the line of scrimmage often as Calgary focused on running Reynolds. Late in the third quarter Nealy was able to take off a couple of timesl for good yardage and then hit Ralph inside our ten. However, our defense got tough, dropping Reynolds for a loss and then Hunt picked up his sixth sack as our entire defensive line was in his face.

Ritchie pulled out a lot of the Leos blitzes out of his playbook to keep heat on Nealy, mixing in coverages, run blitzes, and pass blitzes. However, in the fourth quarter, our defense looked too relaxed out there and Nealy started to take advantage, driving to our 10 yard line again. However, on a third down gamble Nealy was stopped short by a yard on his scramble, as Cameron Wake made a great hustle play.. and we took over on downs.

On the drive Ty Williams was held and threw an uppercut that continued to reflect the increased passion he is playing with recently. Great to see the big guy really picking it up as we go down the stretch.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Ian Smart’s 39 yard punt return gave us great field position for our second quarter field goal. McCallum was good on two field goals in the first half but missed his third attempt, ending his 12 field goal streak. McCallum pulled a butt muscle in the third quarter, following a hit and Bret Anderson came in to relieve McCallum. Jerome Dennis blocked a punt and recovered it for a touchdown with 1:45 left as our special teams kept up their intensity up to the final moments.

GAME BALLS

Jarious Jackson had a great game, exploiting Calgary’s pass defense with some precision throws and running effectivlely as well. Last game, against Regina, in the second half he really took over the huddle, demonstrating his new confidence. He carried that confidence into the first half of this game. He was 23/28 for over 300 yards.

Kruck and Dorazio continue to prove that a balanced attack is a tough pill for opposition defenses to stop. They have also made some great calls. Their entire play calling is designed to set up future plays as well. They’re doing a great job. Those who criticized the dual role early in the season have gone quiet. Kruck still makes the calls with Baresi spotting and Dorazio calling down and distance. However, they are also proving that they are game planning together in a way that is really making our offence multi-dimensional. They added the option play this game and it added another weapon to the arsenal..

Joe Smith and the Wrecking Crew continue to prove that our new offensive emphasis this season was the direction we needed to take. Our offensive line and Joe Smith hammered the Calgary defense, wearing them down when we had the lead.

Cameron Wake had another excellent game, crashing down on running plays, chasing down Reynolds and getting strong pressure from his defensive end position. This guy is a player, period. He can pass rush with the best, he plays the run very well, he’s fast and he really, really hustles!!

WRAP

We went into this game as favorites, playing at home against a second string quarterback and played against Calgary’s third quarterback for the majority of the game. However, Calgary’s defense had all their starters in there and we kicked their butts early on offence, setting the tone for the game. No one gave us any sympathy when we had to start our third string quarterback in Jarious six games ago.

I commented last season that it would take Jarious Jackson about 10 starts before he settled down and was able to read a defense effectively. He’s way ahead of schedule and is starting to show tremendous poise for a quarterback who has only started six games in the last for seasons. It was a convincing 34-9 victory in a game that was really over after our first two offensive drives.

We da best in the West!!!! We da best in the CFL!! We’re the B.C. Lions!! :bc:
Last edited by Blitz on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

WE ARE THE BEST IN THE CFL!!!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good wrap, Blitz

Jarious Jackson 23 of 28 307 yards 3 TDs 0 Ints

Joe Smith 16 for 109 yards 1 TD Lng 15

Man, I feel so good for Jarious Jackson. He has thrown off the NFL shackles. He is relaxed and confident and ready to play the CFL game.

With his size, strength, escapability and rocket arm (and good touch now), he is the prototype CFL quarterback.

Answering a reporter about who gets to start at QB as we move forward, Wally said:

"There are no egos on this team. We will field the team that gives us the best chance to win. And right now, that is with Jarious."

When asked if Buck should have gotten some reps, Wally said:

"We had that plan, but Buck indicated that he could use another week to get ready."
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Special teams has improved so much over that 2005 season. This was a fun game to watch as a Lions fan (I was thrilled) but not much if I wasn't a Lions fan. Its tough when one team DOMINATES in all three phases the way the Lions did tonight. Hope McCallum is okay, cuz thats the one thing that had me wondering come the final gun.
stansz
Champion

wouldnt u say that with the multi offensive coordinators...there would be more insight..wat i mean is if they have a bad game calling plays..one of them could say to the other guy "hey we screwed up..we need to change it up"

but with a guy like chap calling the plays...no one is really going to say that to him

or am i totally wrong

also awesome game by the lions...i am also very happy for Jarious Jackson...great team player and finally showing that hes not just a good team guy but also a great qb...with more time in the CFL i could see him as a top notch qb (arm strenght, atheleticsm, etc)
pumped!!!
bbang
Starter

Awesome win tonight. Some breathing room at the top. However, as much as a blowout it was I can't help but think we left another 10-20 points on the field. And although I'm happy with the W, that disturbs me a bit.
"My job is to kick your ass " - Wally Buono
lion24
Legend

notahomer wrote:Special teams has improved so much over that 2005 season. This was a fun game to watch as a Lions fan (I was thrilled) but not much if I wasn't a Lions fan. Its tough when one team DOMINATES in all three phases the way the Lions did tonight. Hope McCallum is okay, cuz thats the one thing that had me wondering come the final gun.
Other than Anderson, do the Lions have another option for kicker if McCallum's butt is still broken??
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Go get Pikula from Winnipeg!
Blitz
Team Captain

No, you're right stanz! You need to have one person call the plays in a game situation and that has always been Kruck from Game 1. However, Dorazio has had a lot of say, in terms of game planning, in terms of running the football more. It was something he always wanted to do but The Chap was a pass happy guy!

When a group of coaches like Kruck, Dorazio, and Barasi can work as a team so well....you get synergy, more creativity, and also more of a sense that you are all working together, rather for someone. There is more accountability from the entire offensive staff and each one wants to do more than their part not to let the team down! It could have been a problem if they didn't have the same philosophy or didn't have a strong sense of 'teamwork' but they do and did from the start!!

It wouldnt' work in all situations or even most but Wally knew it had a great chance to work here in B.C. with these coaches. Hufnagel also spent time with them early in the season as they cemented their philosophy.

I think they just keep getting better and better. This was a brilliantly called game offensively for the first three quarters and then they worked on pounding the ball in the fourth to cement the win, mixing in the pass to keep it honest!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

42 - 9 I think, unless we missed the extra point on the blocked punt TD. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Brent Johnson's post-game comments on Jarious Jackson:

"I am so happy for Jarious."

"He's a professional."

"I love playing with him."

"Jarious did not come out of nowhere. We have known what he can do. Opportunities are a *beeotch*. He was behind two really good QBs."

Jarious is such a good team guy, that when he gets his chance, the players really dig down deep to play well for him. That is part of the leadership he brings to a team.

Brent Johnson is so right. Opportunities are a *beeotch*. You just never know how chance will play out. It is Jarious' time right now.
Ravi
Legend

Now go out and thrash the Bombers on Friday night! :wink:
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:
notahomer wrote:Special teams has improved so much over that 2005 season. This was a fun game to watch as a Lions fan (I was thrilled) but not much if I wasn't a Lions fan. Its tough when one team DOMINATES in all three phases the way the Lions did tonight. Hope McCallum is okay, cuz thats the one thing that had me wondering come the final gun.
Other than Anderson, do the Lions have another option for kicker if McCallum's butt is still broken??
They have Jr Rob(?) Whyte who was there for TC and also is with the team in practice everyday like Boden was 2 years ago.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Soundy
Hall of Famer

42-9 final, according to CFL.ca.

Oddly enough, very close to the final shot clock (48-9) in the Giants 5-0 romp of Kelowna tonight...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder how many of the 32, 263 fans would have turned out if this game was played in an outdoor stadium ? :lol: