Tom Higgins is all class

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I can't speak much about Tom Higgins's coaching abilities (I suspect he's more of a manager of his team with some good coaches around him than a true tactician), but make no mistake. He's a hell of a nice guy. I've heard him before in interviews and he's always come across as a gracious guest and, reading this quote in yesterday's Vancouver Sun just reinforced my opinion:

"We're (the league) a family, and family matters should be kept in the confines of the family. If I was upset with Wally I'd call him up and talk it out, man to man. I'm not going out to belittle anybody else. I hope nobody would do that to me. Our family and our organization would like it to stop."

and this:

"No, they're (Jimenez and Murphy) not dirty. They're just good football players. They're coached to be tough and aggressive, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the two of them."

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
stansz
Champion

ummm higgins has always , to me, come across as a nice guy in the interviews, BUT to me, his coaching skills arent really up to par compared to the likes of wally and such ....

btw i do agree with his quotes..if you have a problem...call the guy and solve it ..dont take it to the media
pumped!!!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I've heard him before in interviews and he's always come across as a gracious guest and, reading this quote in yesterday's Vancouver Sun just reinforced my opinion:

"No, they're (Jimenez and Murphy) not dirty. They're just good football players. They're coached to be tough and aggressive, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the two of them."
I agree that Higgins is a classy guy. It seems he was treated shabbily by Hugh Campbell in Edmonton. He has always been gracious. He might even be too nice a guy. He deserves better than the nickname he has had: Ned Flanders. But part of that seems to fit. He is very mellow, and very humane.

It's nice that a well-respected coach of an opposing team recognizes the true value of Murphy and Jiminez, and, indeed, validates the coaching approach of Dan Dorazio.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Why use the same old excuse that hasn't been passing the smell test anyways? What bothers me is 1/2 of the crew that got all this 'dirtyplayers' whining started isn't playing for his team anymore ( :bang: dirtyplay IIRC). Lets see if these classy comments are consistent come the season finale (also against the Stamps). Man, oh man if that game has something riding on it for one or both teams :shock: . Higgins sounds classy but I'm not so sure his style is going to be successful.
bclion99

"It's like a practice to him."
— Chris Schulz on JJ's game.

How true.
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

^ correction, Chris Walby, not Schultz...CW is CBC, CS is TSN
bclion99

Mea Culpa
Thanks
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

no prob...btw mark lee/walby are my least favorite duo to call CFL games
bclion99

Lee's a bit bland and pulled a me earlier.
He referred to Jarious as Paris.
I have heard denigration of Armitage and Black.
Who is the best broadcasting team in Canada, on either network?
Who is No. 1???
I have heard Cuthbert (sp?), and he's talented, but his voice drives me nuts...
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

I prefer Cuthbert/Suitor and Danny Mac on the sidelines, hes also good in the booth..but i believe hes always paired with Rod Black(who i dont like), however i believe that Danny Mac was in a three man booth a couple weeks back with Cuthbert and Suitor
bclion99

I like Suitor. He's good. Also like his insight on Sportstalk each week.
Is Don Whitman still calling games????
I think I heard him recently and was stunned that he was still at it.
Ravi
Legend

Don Wittman hasn't called a CFL game since the thrilling 1997 Eastern Final between the Als and Argos.
Dan Russell
Legend

1st preference is Ball/Caravatta on the radio.

The only duo on tv to listen to is Cuthbert/Suitor.

Mark Lee/Chris Walby- Lee is dull and lost. Walby is the best CBC has which isn't saying much.

Steve Armitage/Khari Jones- Armitage is the worst announcer on any and every network. Khari is still improving.

Rod Black/whoever he is paired with- Black is TSN' s utility announcer as he doesn't have much knowledge on sports, but they put him announcing almost every sport they broadcast as an fill-in.

In summary:

Team 1040: Most informative and interesting commentary. You'll hear and learn more about the game here.

CBC: Turn the mute button on and turn on the Team 1040. Their is an delay but it is well worth it.

TSN: Only Cuthbert and Suitor are acceptable for tv viewing.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Chris Cuthbert repeatedly shows little understanding of the game in front of him. The worst example was in the B.C.-Calgary game in August when Javy Glatt was injured before the game and had to be replaced as MLB by Jason Pottinger. Cuthbert and Suitor didn't notice and spent the entire first half talking about Pottinger starting at outside linebacker for the injured Jamall Johnson, which was what was written in their game notes.

The latest example was in the Edmonton-Toronto game on Friday. With about 1:20 left and the Esks trailing by 7, Stefan LeFors threw an incomplete pass on second and 4. Cuthbert made a comment about Edmonton again going two and out. So did he think they were just going to give up on the game? There was never any doubt that the Esks would go for it on third down with the game on the line, and they did.

I can't think of any CFL announcers who add more than they detract from a broadcast.
Dan Russell
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Chris Cuthbert repeatedly shows little understanding of the game in front of him. The worst example was in the B.C.-Calgary game in August when Javy Glatt was injured before the game and had to be replaced as MLB by Jason Pottinger. Cuthbert and Suitor didn't notice and spent the entire first half talking about Pottinger starting at outside linebacker for the injured Jamall Johnson, which was what was written in their game notes.

The latest example was in the Edmonton-Toronto game on Friday. With about 1:20 left and the Esks trailing by 7, Stefan LeFors threw an incomplete pass on second and 4. Cuthbert made a comment about Edmonton again going two and out. So did he think they were just going to give up on the game? There was never any doubt that the Esks would go for it on third down with the game on the line, and they did.

I can't think of any CFL announcers who add more than they detract from a broadcast.

So what is your opinion on Ball/Caravatta.