Foley and Wake

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 21e5a64382
Foley showing he has plenty of sacks appeal

Mike Beamish Vancouver Sun

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Ricky Foley was filled with a very human emotion when Cameron Wake took the job that was supposed to be his. He tried to find something not to like about the defensive end from Penn State, but he was ultimately defeated.

Wake was not only too good a player, he was too good a person.

"It was hugely disappointing," Foley said Friday. "When you lose a starting job to somebody, you're kind of hoping he's an a--hole. And it was awkward at first. I didn't want to be around Cam. But he's such a nice guy. He's one of the most compatible guys on the team, hard not to like. Now we go out together."

Wake, a brilliant CFL rookie tied for the league sack lead with Winnipeg's Tom Canada, will be tracking down Calgary quarterback Akili Smith tonight when the Lions play the Stampeders at BC Place.

Foley, a second-year player who rotates into the defensive line, has arrived very late to the race but is starting to show some sacks appeal of his own.

Since Aug. 31, when he had his first-ever career sack, in a game against Montreal, Foley has added two more -- against Toronto and Saskatchewan -- despite limited reps.

"You gotta get that first one," says Foley, the fourth overall pick in the 2006 CFL college draft. "It's like the first time you dunk a basketball, the first time you ride a bike. Once you get the hang of it, they start coming a little bit easier."

When incumbent defensive end Chris Wilson bolted to the Washington Redskins and free-agent Nautyn McKay-Loescher departed for Hamilton, the door was left open for Foley.

Head coach Wally Buono talked him up, the media talked him up, and Foley hit the gym hard, determined to be the answer to a question mark on the defensive line.

Then along came Wake, a player so highly regarded as a prep baller that Penn State head coach Joe Paterno -- the legendary "Joe Pa" -- made a personal recruiting visit to his parents' home in Beltsville, Md.

Regarded as a classic 'tweener by the NFL, Wake's move to Canada quickly established him as a premier pass rusher. It took all of one game -- Wake had seven tackles and three sacks to win defensive player of the week honours after his boffo debut June 28 against Toronto. Foley realized he was yielding to a superior talent.

"I think I worked as hard as anybody in the off-season," he says. "I had a goal. When I didn't get it, I wasn't devastated, but it was pretty close. I had to get over it."

An amazing athlete himself, Foley never played high school football while growing up on the family farm in Courtice, Ont. Recruited by York University as a track athlete, he broke a 27-year-old school record in the shot put and entertained thoughts of competing for Canada in the Olympic decathlon.

York head coach Tom Gretes, however, saw his potential as a sideline-to-sideline force on the football field. With only 23 games of competitive experience, Foley was drafted by the Lions in the first round last year, then spent time with the Baltimore Ravens before being released prior to the main camp.

"Cameron and Nautyn [McKay-Loescher was recruited by Alabama] played at a much higher level in college," says Mike Roach, B.C.'s D-line coach. "Ricky has not had a rich football-playing background. He's a great athlete and he was outstanding at York because he could get by on his athleticism.

"He's having to make an adjustment to the speed of the pro game, but he is starting to show a lot in a very short period of time."

Encouraged and supported by Brent Johnson, last year's outstanding defensive player, and Javy Glatt, an all-star-calibre linebacker, Foley has been made to realize that starting or stardom doesn't just happen. Both Johnson and Glatt had to be seasoned, bide their time and play frustrating backup roles before their breakout years.

In the meantime, Foley is picking up momentum as one of the league's leading tacklers on special teams. He has 14 -- sixth in the CFL and second on the Lions behind linebacker Jamall Johnson.

"There's huge pride in our special teams," Foley says. "You're respected here. You're not looked down upon. I had a chip on my shoulder after training camp. I wasn't used to disappointment. Now I'm re-focussed, using special teams to make my mark. Hopefully, what happened to Brent, Javy and Nautyn, is in store for me."
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good article.

It explains a lot about the situation. Foley had expectations of being the starter and along comes Cameron Wake. That had to be devastating for Foley.

Foley really does not have that much experience. As his experience grows to go along with his athletic talent, he is beginning to contribute more and more to the Lions.

He is already a key player on special teams.

And Wake is doing way more than Chris Wilson ever did. I suppose the NFL will be taking another look at Cameron Wake eventually.
Dan Russell
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Good article.

It explains a lot about the situation. Foley had expectations of being the starter and along comes Cameron Wake. That had to be devastating for Foley.

Foley really does not have that much experience. As his experience grows to go along with his athletic talent, he is beginning to contribute more and more to the Lions.

He is already a key player on special teams.

And Wake is doing way more than Chris Wilson ever did. I suppose the NFL will be taking another look at Cameron Wake eventually.

If Chris Wilson can crack an NFL lineup, then Wake could/will get another chance down south.
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Good Read. Cam Wake has been awesome this year, but i like Foley too. When he is rotated into the D-Line he looks good, but as WestCoastJoe said he does lack experience.
Lets Go Lions!