Leos/Riders Post-Game Thoughts!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos were underdogs, dealing with a lot of injuries at key positions, and the Riders came into Dome with expectations of a victory. On a warm and muggy night the Riders took advantage of our weaknesses and ended our undefeated record at five games.

Kerry Joseph played a smart game at quarterback, the Riders used a balanced offensive attack against our depleted defense, and the Riders defense mixed it up effectively against third string quarterback Jarious Jackson and our Leos offence to limit our attack.

In the end, both strategies were good enough to enable the Riders to beat our Leos 21-9. Let's have a closer look:

DEFENSE

Once again, we begin Post-Game Thoughts with defense!! Considering how long they were on the field, on a hot and muggy night under the Dome, our defense played well enough to allow us a chance of winning this game. Our defense had good pressure on Joseph most of the night, especially when we rushed four or blitzed, but the Riders offence also mixed it up well against a defense that was essentially patched up for this game.

On defense, we had two first year starters in Jamal Johnson and Jason Pottinger playing linebacker, we had Mitchell playing corner, Glover playing out of position at short side corner, Mark Washington playing shortside halfback, and Knowlten playing nickel. Those are a lot of changes for a defense to absorb, with vets Otis Floyd, Korey Banks, and Dante Marsh out of the lineup.

Mark Knowlten had an outstanding game, Ryan Philips continues to shine at wideside halfback, and Hunt is now returning to the form that he showed last year as an outstanding defensive tackle. However, the game also showed how invaluable Korey Banks and Dante Marsh, especially Banks is. Banks allows us to do things we can't do without him in the lineup, along with Marsh. When they are in the lineup, Miles can cheat the wideside, coming up underneath to intecept the football or backing up the wideside deep, allowing Phillips and Glover to ball hawk. Miles had to play it more straight up last night and defensive turnovers were harder to come by.

The game also showed a weakness in our run defense for the second time this season. For all the raves about Javy Glatt (and he deserves a lot of those accolades) he still struggles at times in run defense. He's a natural outside linebacker, an outstanding pass defender, and an excellent blitzer. However, Cates exposed our interior run defense, rushing for over 100 yards and picking up some big gains. I was disappointed when Calgary traded Cates to the Riders, a dum move, because Cates was the missing piece of the puzzle for the Riders. Cates is a hell of a running back..fast, quick, and difficult to bring down.

The Riders balanced attack of run and pass, with Joseph being careful not to turn over the football (an early interception by Ryan Phillips was all he gave us) forced us to have to earn our points offensively. Joseph went 20/33 for 261 yards. Still, it was a vey good performance by our defense, based upon the changes we had to make for this game. We gave up yardage at times, Washington got beat into the end zone for a touchdown, but we held the Riders to 21 points and they had lots of opportunities with our defense out on the field a lot.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Overall, we won the battle of special teams against the Riders, with Ian Smart returning the ball 93 yards off a missing field goal attempt to give us one last shot at victory. Our downfield coverage was very good again, and we didn't allow the Riders any big special teams plays. McCallum missed a field goal from just outside 45 yards. Congi kicked a 43 and 46 yarder but also missed. McCallum punted the football well and our team speed on special teams was evident. Jamal Johnson continues to impress, Wake adds a new dimension in the middle on field goal attempted blocks, and all our special teams are playing disciplined and as a unit.

OFFENCE

This was the most disappointing game to watch offensively this season for three big reasons. The first was a confusing game plan and play calling. Yes, the Riders have an excellent run defense but we also have an excellent run blocking offensive line and a tough punishing back in Joe Smith. Instead we only ran the football 9 times in a game when we had a third string quarterback out there for his first CFL start and first time starting as a quarterback in four years.

I could understand why our Leos braintrust, expecting the Riders to be keying our running game early, would start with throwing the football, but we never came back to the run when it was obvious that Jackson was having his struggles out there.

A second factor, offensively, was why I was pleased that we went multi-formational this was not a game to go empty backfield. This offensive set requires a quick, smart, read by the quarterback and the Riders brought quick pressure each time we used it.

A third factor was the disappointing play of Jarious Jackson. Jarious has come off the bench three times this season to preserve or help engineer wins but Jackson struggled in this game. He went 16/38 for 183 yards.
One had to expect mistakes and Saskatchewan played a very smart defensive game, mixing up coverages constantly. However, it wasn't the three interceptions that bothered me, when Jackson either didn't read the safety or threw into coverage. It was his inability to throw the football accurately and his lack of touch again in the short game.

Without the defensive turnovers that our defense has created for our offence, it was necessary for our offence to manufacture their own points. Paris Jackson had an excellent game, making an outstanding catch early and then diving for a quick post pattern to score our first touchdown. He looks like he wants to become our 'go to receiver' for the future and plays with enthusiasm out ther. Joe Smith looked great on his limited carries. Our offensive line played very well, overall, and Valli did an excellent job coming in for an injured Sherko in the second hafl. The offensive line played hard for Jarious in this game.

However, while Jarious threw 3 interceptions, as we pressed to come back in this game, not all could be laid at the feet of Jackson, who short hopped too many footballs or just slightly overthrew receivers at times. Our recievers also need to do a better job. Clermont has always been our best receiver at reading zone defenses and adjusting his routes but Clermont was covered well out there. There was a time when I believed we had the best receiving corps in the league but no longer. I watched Geroy Simon in this game and he wasn't double covered all the time out there. He struggled at times getting open against single coverage.

It's been difficult, with using three starting quarterbacks in our first six games, but we really need our recievers and quarterbacks to play better and get on the same page. If we can do that, we're still the team to beat and have a great chance to win the Cup again. We three the football 38 times, so the receivers can't *beeotch* that we're just running the football every game. We're just not intense on offence. We need better distribution to get every receiver involved and we just need to execute the passing game better or we'll be golfing in November in the rain instead of watching our Leos in the Grey Cup.

WRAP

Even though it was our first loss on a steamy night in the Dome... it was a special night. I had the chance to meet, for the first time, so many members of Lionbackers who make this the best football website in North America. Everyone was warm, welcoming, and showed some great 'Mainland' hospitality to an "Islander'. Thank you! :thup: :thup:

This extra long post is just for you!!!!! :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Good post Blitz. I didn't think our Defence really played that well last night though. Seeing Matt Dominguez get a 7 yard head start on seemingly every down was very frustrating to watch. I can't wait until we get all of our guys back.

The play calling on offence was disgusting. 9 times. Horrible. :bang:
The_Pauser
Legend

Joe Smith early in the game (with his one or two runs) would only gain 2-3 yards. Then, in the second half he broke a few bigger runs (one for 15 yards and another for about 10). Why wasn't he used more? Sure they have a great rush defense; however, if we respect that too much and go with the pass all the time then they'll just drop back and expect the pass.

We needed to use the run to set up the passing game, and we didn't do that.

Also, in the future, I hope Gino Guidogli is used before Jarious Jackson is ever used again. He was absolutely terrible and really couldn't move the ball (with the exception of one drive when Paris Jackson made an unbelieveable catch).

Near the end of the game, Ian Smart brought us down to the Riders 30 yard line. It was a pure gift to give us one last shot at getting back into the game. Jackson and co. bring us down to the Rider 5, and he has 2 cracks at the endzone from the 5. What happens? Jackson and co. blow it.

Too many interceptions, too many over throws, too many under throws, too many bad reads. It's too bad that the freezing in Buck's toe didn't kick in earlier.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:Joe Smith early in the game (with his one or two runs) would only gain 2-3 yards. Then, in the second half he broke a few bigger runs (one for 15 yards and another for about 10). Why wasn't he used more?
Hey, I'm with you. However, in fairness to Kruk and Dorazio, when you're playing from behind in the 2nd half, most OCs will pretty much abandon the running game. Granted, we were only marginally behind but I think that is what they would tell you. Not sure why we didn't run more in the first half to set up the pass.....and sell them some "less obvious" play-action.
The_Pauser wrote:Also, in the future, I hope Gino Guidogli is used before Jarious Jackson is ever used again. He was absolutely terrible and really couldn't move the ball (with the exception of one drive when Paris Jackson made an unbelieveable catch).
Do you really mean that? Guidugli's been here all of 2 weeks, and from Arena Ball 2 to boot. If he's the saviour at this point, we're in trouble.
The_Pauser wrote:Near the end of the game, Ian Smart brought us down to the Riders 30 yard line. It was a pure gift to give us one last shot at getting back into the game. Jackson and co. bring us down to the Rider 5, and he has 2 cracks at the endzone from the 5. What happens? Jackson and co. blow it.
By this time though, Jarious had lost every last ounce of self-confidence. While we're all in agreement that he was really disappointing, the coaches didn't put him in the best position to succeed. Too many second and longs, not enough touches to Joe Smith (especially in the first half), and much too much of Jarious sitting in the pocket trying to read some challenging looks from the Rider D.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

If the Lions don't do something constructive *cough* Wally talk to the OC's *cough* soon, and get a healthy QB back we might be in a world of hurt the next few games.
Disturber
Champion

This could be it for Dave D.
What about making a trade with an all-but-out-of-the-playoffs team in the East for a star-calibre QB?
Go Lions!
LFITQ
Team Captain

Disturber wrote:This could be it for Dave D.
What about making a trade with an all-but-out-of-the-playoffs team in the East for a star-calibre QB?
Do those exist? Considering this is a QB dependent league I'm not sure there is such a thing as an "all-but-out-of-the-playoffs team" that has a star-calibre QB... The two usually goes hand in hand.

Not to mention, even Hamilton isn't "out of the playoffs" yet, so how long do you wait?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote: Hey, I'm with you. However, in fairness to Kruk and Dorazio, when you're playing from behind in the 2nd half, most OCs will pretty much abandon the running game.
There was plenty of time to establish the running game. It wasn't as if the Lions were trailing by 14 or more points. There was no need to panic and go to the air on every play to get back into the game. This game clearly showed why Jackson is the number 3 pivot on the depth chart after Dickenson and Pierce.
lion24
Legend

As bad as things went last night the Lions still had chances to come back in this game with good field position on Smart's returns. Unforunately, Jackson threw incompletions and int's at key moments that could have turned the game around. One thing I noticed, especially on the late 3rd down attempt to Simon for a TD was he looked at Simon the whole time and the Rider defenders knew exactly where he was throwing the ball. Also on many attempts Jackson forced the ball to receivers and especially Simon who was not open on many of those attempts.

Obviously I was frustated at the lack of carries by Smith as the Lions seem to be too pass happy at times even when JJ was struggling.Anyway, overall a real tough game to watch and I hope the offence gets it together soon. It can be said that Jackson has not had many reps and that is the problem but DD, Buck have also struggled when they were in games this year.

Hopefully I can bring some luck to Vancouver next week against the Bombers!! :cr:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

ur coming? awesome

it would be awesome if someone could get the felions to try to quiet the crowd down when the lions have the ball
2012 Season Ticket Holder
lion24
Legend

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:ur coming? awesome

it would be awesome if someone could get the felions to try to quiet the crowd down when the lions have the ball
I could think of something but it may be inappropriate....... :hypno: :hypno: ?? ugh sorry :lol:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

its ok
lion24
Legend

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:ur coming? awesome

Yes, this will be my first time seeing the Lions in Vancouver so I hope they play better next week :cr: However, my girlfriend is a Bomber fan so she is probably hoping not :lol: I am not sure how happy the plane trip back to Edmonton will be if the Lions lose?? :wink: :wink:
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

it will be a happy ride for u cause the lions will win
Rammer
Team Captain

Bombers look to be going down to defeat tonight, so they will be looking to pick up the slack in our game. You have to think that this has loss is to the Tiger-Cats, at least we went down to the second place team.
Entertainment value = an all time low