Coaching staff forgets they have Joe Smith

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

An absolutely horrible, horrible gameplan executed by a horrible, horrible QB.

I have said it before, I will say it again, this Offense looks like it has absolutely ZERO confidence in the Offensive Co-Ordinator.

Steve Kruck looks absolutely lost on sidelines. He wears an expression that says "what just happened; and what do I do now".

ZERO creativity. ZERO gameplaning. ZERO changing onthe fly.

You have to give your offence a chance. We look like the offence is an afterthought. SOmething to kill some time until the Defence gets to go back on the field.

they look lost and are in desperate need of direction.
midwestlion
Starter

Trust me Lion Guy I think the coaching is more of a problem than Jarious. Hell if the OC doesnt know what they are doing how do you expect the 3rd string QB to feel comfortable.
Last edited by midwestlion on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

David wrote:* Obviously with an offensive weapon like Joe Smith we should have used him more often. Play action is great but it's really most effective when you have established a running game. Otherwise defenses aren't going to bite.

* Why didn't they move the pocket around for Jarious? This would have given him only half a field to work with. He's a good roll-out quarterback. Much better than a pocket passer.

* Why didn't we see tight-end formations to give Jarious more time in the pocket when pass protection was breaking down?

* Why didn't Jarious pull the ball down and run it more? Even a quarterback draw would have kept the Sask defense honest and prevented them from pinning their ears back.

DH 8)
I will answer all these for you. Because our Offensive Co-Ordinators DO NOT HAVE A CLUE!!!
LFITQ
Team Captain

The overthrow of Paris Jackson at the end of the first half was the turning point of the game.
I am going to say this though, there were many times when the ball was "overthrown" simply because the receivers slowed down or did not put it into high gear until they realized JJ had thrown it that far. Watching on TV you could see it on some of the receivers, they had that "Oh *poop* I gotta speed up" look on their faces.

Several of those "overthrows" were not the fault of the QB and instead can be blamed on the receivers not getting up to "game speed" when running their routes.

I believe the play you are talking about is one of them.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
midwestlion
Starter

I will answer all these for you. Because our Offensive Co-Ordinators DO NOT HAVE A CLUE!!!

I they havent all year. They need to thank the Defense and Wally for their continued employment :bang:
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

The game plan on offence last night was terrible. I still for the life of me cannot understand how they could justify using Joe Smith 9 times. He's the CFL's leading rusher, he's coming off two straight 100 yard games and averages 6 yards a carry in the limited chances he did have last night. With our 3rd string QB in there you would think they would have relied on the running game more not less! I am slowly running out of patience with Steff Kruck. :x
wildthing
All Star

from a Rider perspective I expected lots of Joe Smith and I agree with you all questioning the gameplan. JJ needed something to help him and Joe should have been it.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:
David wrote:* Obviously with an offensive weapon like Joe Smith we should have used him more often. Play action is great but it's really most effective when you have established a running game. Otherwise defenses aren't going to bite.

* Why didn't they move the pocket around for Jarious? This would have given him only half a field to work with. He's a good roll-out quarterback. Much better than a pocket passer.

* Why didn't we see tight-end formations to give Jarious more time in the pocket when pass protection was breaking down?

* Why didn't Jarious pull the ball down and run it more? Even a quarterback draw would have kept the Sask defense honest and prevented them from pinning their ears back.

DH 8)
That's probably because we don't have a single offensive co-ordinator. I think this experiment by Wally isn't working out as well as he had hoped. Even Dickenson and Pierce looked average in the games they played earlier this season.
Roar you Lions roar!
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:

DH 8)
That's probably because we don't have a single offensive co-ordinator. I think this experiment by Wally isn't working out as well as he had hoped. Even Dickenson and Pierce looked average in the games they played earlier this season.
After thinking about the game, it's no secret that the Lion's need a full-time OC. Wally, stop cheapping out and get/or assign someone to that role. If you must, take a pay cut yourself to bring in a guy. JJ looked baffled in the huddle all night long most likely because of the play calling from the sideline.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Larry Key wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
After thinking about the game, it's no secret that the Lion's need a full-time OC. Wally, stop cheapping out and get/or assign someone to that role. If you must, take a pay cut yourself to bring in a guy. JJ looked baffled in the huddle all night long most likely because of the play calling from the sideline.
We rank last in the league in passing and thanks to Clermont being quiet in the past couple of games... now have no receiver on pace for a 1,000 yard season.

Would have loved to have got odds on that at the start of the year.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

So much gripping, and in our first loss of the season, did you think it would never come?

Thus it has been ever so since pre-season...

If you are going to panic after every loss then the season is already lost. Get a hold on reality and stop pointing fingers at your team mate.

Look at yourself in the mirror!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

This shouldn't really be that much of a surprise, given the circumstances.

1) The team was winning on the strength of the D and ST; turnovers and the giveaway/takeaway ratio.

2) The Offence hasn't clicked in any meaningful way save for the play of Smith, and that was pushed aside last night.

3) LFITQ noted that receivers were shortening routes, then going all out to catch up to a ball that Jackson aired long last night; could this be because they're used to the shorter stuff thrown by DD and BP?

4) Clermont uncharacteristically dropped at least 2 catchable balls last night, and doesn't happen very often.

5) Simon...well, I guess Steff Kruck feels he isn't going to be a large part of the Offence for the forseeable future.

6) Repeating as a Grey Cup Champion is one of the most difficult tasks to even contemplate, with so much motivation lost by just having won one.

Football is entertainment. Lions are 5-1, and leading the West. That's pretty entertaining.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:So much gripping, and in our first loss of the season, did you think it would never come?

Thus it has been ever so since pre-season...

If you are going to panic after every loss then the season is already lost. Get a hold on reality and stop pointing fingers at your team mate.
Look at yourself in the mirror!
Who exactly are you talking to/about?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:

DH 8)
Perhaps we should start an email campaign to Mr. Braley to beg and plead John Hufnagel to come on board as OC for the rest of this season anyway. :surrender: