Saskatchewan vs. BC Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

wildthing
All Star

wanted to give the Leos the credit they deserve. Their d fought hard all night long, but with the offensive play calling and 2 and outs they were in trouble coming out of the gate. It was a great game and defenses really reigned in this one. Can't wait for the rubber match when the Leos are healthy.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Sorry but I'm not hanging this one on JJ. This one goes on the heads of the coaches.

Please explain to me how it is Jarious' fault that the coaches completely and utterly forgot about Joe Smith. Hello, but how many touches does he get this game even when it was so close for the first 3 quarters.

Guess they didn't realize who their offense was last week.

Nope I'm not hanging this one JJ when the coaching staff decides to not let him use all of his weapons.

Get Joe Smith in there to tighten up the D and let's not forget that it gives the Oline the chance to tee up and knock some blocks off some Dlinemen. Run the damn ball!!
Sure, they could have used Smith a bit more, but this is the CFL -- sooner, or later you have to be able to throw the ball successfully. In fact, in this league, I would argue that the pass sets up the run, rather than the other way around as is the case in American rules. Why do you think Rich Stubler, probably the most successful defensive coordinator in the league, regularly uses six defensive backs in his schemes? Stubler's feeling is that you can run all you like in this league, but at the end of the day you are going to have to go to the air and get some yards in bunches. Witness the '04 Grey Cup, where Antonio Warren had a terrific day running the ball against Stubler's D, but we still got beat.

Cromartie has nailed it -- this was a winnable game with either DD or Pierce under centre. Jarious Jackson proved last night why he is a third stringer, and why it is that at age 30 he has never made a statement for himself in pro football. Sometimes you get a Cinderella story of a third string QB who makes the most of his opportunity, but the majority of the time in real life you simply get to find out why the guy was your third stringer to begin with.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Soundy
Hall of Famer

BTW, Javy's on the TEAM this morning with Rick and Julio... he'll be there til 9, taking calls.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Sometimes you get a Cinderella story of a third string QB who makes the most of his opportunity, but the majority of the time in real life you simply get to find out why the guy was your third stringer to begin with.
Yup. A true Cinderella story would have been Gino what's-his-name coming in after Smart's run to score a TD.

I was groaning when he and /or Buck didn't come in the game. There was no-way in hell Jackson was going to score a TD in that situation. Actually I was disappointed Smart didn't score...it was our only hope.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

wildthing wrote:wanted to give the Leos the credit they deserve. Their d fought hard all night long, but with the offensive play calling and 2 and outs they were in trouble coming out of the gate. It was a great game and defenses really reigned in this one. Can't wait for the rubber match when the Leos are healthy.
Classy post Wildthing....

Hopefully by that time we are not only healthy but have an offence that has its "poop" together and isn't relying on turnovers and special teams plays all the time for great field position.

Considering our passing attack has been sputtering since training camp ... I won't be holding my breath. :sigh:
lion24
Legend

wildthing wrote:wanted to give the Leos the credit they deserve. Their d fought hard all night long, but with the offensive play calling and 2 and outs they were in trouble coming out of the gate. It was a great game and defenses really reigned in this one. Can't wait for the rubber match when the Leos are healthy.
Give the Riders some credit for the win, they looked as dominant picking off balls and sacking JJ at key times and looked like the BC defence has at times this year. The Lions have more than their share of injuries at this time but you still have to play the games and they had their chances to come back but the Riders snuffed out the drives.

I would like to see if the offence will come around when Pierce returns as all the BC qb's have struggled this year?
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Larry Key wrote:
LFITQ wrote:Sorry but Wally isn't telling us the whole truth about not running the ball. There is obviously more to it. I'd almost think he wanted to lose this one. Those were BS answers to not running the ball more. We weren't doing badly running the ball early on - and it was given up on WAAAYYY too early.
Oh yeah... listen to him back peddle! Really didn't answer Ricks question. :lol:
Yes, but it's "pedal" as in "pedal a bike" not "peddle" like you're selling steak knives door to door. Sheesh. :wink:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Thanks, but it wasn't a "great game". It was a dog, frankly.