Dunigan dissects Maas

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MacNews
Team Captain

I just read Matt Dunigan's article on the CFL this week, it focused on the QBs around the league. I wanted to share this section of the article because the complexity of his analysis of Mass blew me away.
Hamilton's Jason Maas continues to leave it all on the field, week in and week out. The Cats are really close and Maas looks to be settling down. You see him progressing along with the team. Don't let the 0-5 record fool ya. Still I see areas of Jason's game that need correcting and polishing up before he returns to form.

He had Julian Radlein all alone in the flat and he opens too shallow (at 9) and never gives himself a chance to get his hips to the target which forces him to drop his elbow in order to have a chance to complete the pass and it sails high (no kidding). He needed to get more depth with his opening step (6 or even further at 5) and then get his heel around which brings his hips to the target, enabling him to have a normal high release and giving him a simple completion.

What happens is he is forced into second and long and he pays the price by facing a blitz from the Bombers. He takes one right in the grill and you can bring in the punt team. All because of a simple technique flaw. Silly...

Jason also must eliminate quicker. That means he needs to get on with his progression faster. He is staying too long with one read and bringing to many defenders into play. He must trust his R & I's (Reads and Indicators) and quit staring down receivers.

His arm strength is coming but his deep ball is still hanging and not getting home quick enough.
Can this guy write or what? Wow.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Kinda reminds me of watching Kelly Hrudey "dissect" goalies' play on HNIC... I'd seen plenty of intense scrutiny of developing up-ice plays plenty of times, but never so much for what the netminders were doing.

One wonders if the targets of these "dissections" ever see and study them in that kind of detail...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Where is the rest of his article, would love to see what he said about everyone else.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:Where is the rest of his article, would love to see what he said about everyone else.
http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/matt_dunigan/

Just had to look up the company for which Dunigan works.....
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Very interesting perspective
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:Where is the rest of his article, would love to see what he said about everyone else.
http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/matt_dunigan/

Just had to look up the company for which Dunigan works.....
thanks, I tried doing search just on Matt Dunigan and I didnt come up with it. I tried quoting the line "He had Julian Radlein all alone .." and it came up blank???

I just dont seem to get the hang of internet search very good yet. Seems to be total fluke whenever I come up with anything, sigh

Would you beleive I forgot he works for TSN :bang: :bang: :bang:

Although I did think he might also be writing elsewhere.
lion24
Legend

I was relieved to see what this topic was about because from the title I thought maybe Dunigan had been doing a medical examination of Maas.......yuck!!! :wink: :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:I was relieved to see what this topic was about because from the title I thought maybe Dunigan had been doing a medical examination of Maas.......yuck!!! :wink: :wink:
there are a number of people in Hamilton who would be all for that
lion24
Legend

Apparently Dunigan is doing a book on his career due out September/October written with Jim Taylor I believe?
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Matt being the old war horse that he is knows exactly what it is to break down a play to bare bones, especially when it comes to his old Qb position, and has the credentials to back it up.

I'd love see him get another chance to coach, but not be GM at the same time. It took Wally many years before he felt that he could adequately do both jobs equally well.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Good read thanks for posting
Lets Go Lions!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:I'd love see him get another chance to coach, but not be GM at the same time. It took Wally many years before he felt that he could adequately do both jobs equally well.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunnigan do like Lancaster did and become a very successful head coach after a few years back in the broadcast booth. Lancaster was a disaster with the Roughriders when he started coaching. But after a couple of years away from coaching, he went on to a decent career as a bench boss. I can see an older and wiser Dunnigan being a very good coach down the road.