Murphy unfairly targeted

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

prairielion
Starter

I am getting tired of people talking about how dirty a player Rob Murphy is. All because some loud mouth from Edmonton made those comments, it seems as though Murphy is getting a little extra attention from the officials. He would have never won the lineman of the year last year if he was as dirty a player as everyone is saying he is.
The one thing I am worried about this week is that the Roughriders may be setting him up by all the talk of possible retaliation for the hit that put DD out. They want to focus enough attention of the officials on Murphy, so that if he does even the slightest thing they can say it was retaliation and dirty.
It is obvious that other teams are frustrated that they can't beat him and are trying to get an edge by calling him dirty so that he is watched closer.
Here's to hoping that we can beat Kerry Joseph and a completely healthy Rider squad with our battered group. That would definately make a statement and prove we are the team to beat for sure.
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I share your concern prairielion.

What I will be watching is if Fred Perry makes a "borderline illegal" assault on Jarious Jackson by "accident." (sarcasm) In my view, there is no way his hit on DD was just in the play of the game. Not saying he tried to take him out (although he might have), but for sure he wanted to hit him as hard as he could with a shot he thought he could get away with that would be borderline. And I thought the rules said you could not leave your feet and launch yourself head first at the QB.

So I will be watching Fred Perry closely.
prairielion
Starter

The blood-thirsty Riders will definately be trying to get Jarious out of the game, because they know that even though he is our third stringer, he is still good enough to give the Riders trouble. And no offence to Gino, but I think if he has to see the field, for any other reason then we are up by 30, I think we could be in trouble.
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!
terencius

share your concern prairielion.

What I will be watching is if Fred Perry makes a "borderline illegal" assault on Jarious Jackson by "accident." (sarcasm) In my view, there is no way his hit on DD was just in the play of the game. Not saying he tried to take him out (although he might have), but for sure he wanted to hit him as hard as he could with a shot he thought he could get away with that would be borderline. And I thought the rules said you could not leave your feet and launch yourself head first at the QB.

I would be watching Jimenes to see if he could actually block Fred Perry.
Murphy is a good to great tackle. He plays hard and is a credit to his team.
Fred Perry has stated in the press that "he has NO Problems" with Murphy.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Perry has no problems with Murphy. But Murphy clubbed him on the head in retaliation after Perry took out Dickenson.

Perry plays tough. I give him that.

But I would not want to see a Lion take out a QB on any team by accident or design. I would rather play against the best that a team has.
jlh2640
Rookie

WestCoastJoe wrote:I share your concern prairielion.

watch him all you want his hit on dave wasnt even close to dirty its called football. and perry is allot taller than DD. What is he supposed to do not hit him next time. Borderline is a ridiculous statement. you are either dirty or you are not. Perry is not, Murphy plays with an edge. But Jimenez is dumber than a bag of bricks
Grade 10 is way harder than grade 9
jlh2640
Rookie

WestCoastJoe wrote:Perry has no problems with Murphy. But Murphy clubbed him on the head in retaliation after Perry took out Dickenson.

But I would not want to see a Lion take out a QB on any team by accident or design. I would rather play against the best that a team has.
so basically Murphy gave Perry a cheap shot after a LEGAL; hit and you guys are complaining about Murphy getting a bad rap ? i can see it dont know why its so hard to see it with the orange sunglasses on. I like DD but it was legit
Grade 10 is way harder than grade 9
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Great, here we go again with this debate. :roll:
LFITQ
Team Captain

I feel sorry for posters like Terenicius and Joshua (amongst a few others). They actually come on here and "at times" ;) make decent contributable posts to further discussion (Hey I can disagree with them but for the most part the two guys I mentioned - and I few I am missing - are among the more "enlightened"). And then we get other Rider fans that come over here and VERY quickly reduce the average IQ level of the Rider fans that use this board. It's amazing how 1 poster can reduce it so far!!! 8)
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

jlh2640 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Perry has no problems with Murphy. But Murphy clubbed him on the head in retaliation after Perry took out Dickenson.

so basically Murphy gave Perry a cheap shot after a LEGAL; hit and you guys are complaining about Murphy getting a bad rap ? i can see it dont know why its so hard to see it with the orange sunglasses on. I like DD but it was legit
It was "legal" because there was no flag thrown. It was borderline.
rb
Champion

jlh2640 wrote: But Jimenez is dumber than a bag of bricks
Congratulations: you win this week's Ill-Informed Windbag Idiot award! Good to see you Roughrider fans living up to type!

He enjoys languages and speaks English, Spanish, German and in the offseason, studies simplified Mandarin. Jason earned joint degrees from Southern Mississippi in both Political Science and Criminal Justice.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Back to the original topic of the thread, I share the concern that Murphy is being singled out for extra attention from the officials because of the dirty player label, which he has all-too-willingly accepted. I can't recall him taking any roughing penalties last year or being criticized for anything until Abdullah hung that label on him last month. It's a discredit to his talent to have people think that he has to cheat to be successful, and it's not going to help him when it's time to select all-stars and CFL Award niminees.

The Lions also can't afford to have Murphy take 15-yard penalties. The retaliation penalty on Braidwood was understandable, and likely wouldn't have resulted in an ejection if it were anyone else. The roughing penalty on Perry was deserved. The one in Calgary was questionable.

Murphy and Perry have good respect for each other. I'm looking forward to an intense battle, hopefully without penalties.
David
Team Captain

rb wrote:
jlh2640 wrote: But Jimenez is dumber than a bag of bricks
Congratulations: you win this week's Ill-Informed Windbag Idiot award! Good to see you Roughrider fans living up to type!

He enjoys languages and speaks English, Spanish, German and in the offseason, studies simplified Mandarin. Jason earned joint degrees from Southern Mississippi in both Political Science and Criminal Justice.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The irony didn't escape me either rb. You beat me to it!

Rider fans should stick to something they know: commiserating.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Back to the original topic of the thread, I share the concern that Murphy is being singled out for extra attention from the officials because of the dirty player label, which he has all-too-willingly accepted. I can't recall him taking any roughing penalties last year or being criticized for anything until Abdullah hung that label on him last month. It's a discredit to his talent to have people think that he has to cheat to be successful, and it's not going to help him when it's time to select all-stars and CFL Award niminees.

The Lions also can't afford to have Murphy take 15-yard penalties. The retaliation penalty on Braidwood was understandable, and likely wouldn't have resulted in an ejection if it were anyone else. The roughing penalty on Perry was deserved. The one in Calgary was questionable.

Murphy and Perry have good respect for each other. I'm looking forward to an intense battle, hopefully without penalties.
Great post and I totally agree. It really bothers me to see Murph get flagged so much this year and yet nothing seems to be done to the players he's taking the penalties against. Adam Braidwood is the guy clawing his eyes all game and gets nothing, yet Murph is the guy who gets flagged and ejected. Fred Perry delivers a questionable hit that isn't called (and I thought the league was supposed to defer on the side of caution if a hit was deemed borderline or questionable, you can't tell me that at normal speed you could make a case for it not being a penalty at all...nice display of consistency) and so Murph has to take matters into his own hands since the refs are too clueless to throw the flag. Hopefully this "reputation" won't end up costing Murph when it's time to vote for the year-end awards, despite the label, he's still one of the best damn linemen in the league and that needs to be recognized.
jambi
prospect

This thread is the most laughably hypocritical thread I've ever read! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Buck Pierce, Geroy Simon and Wally Buono were all over the television beaking about how Fred Perry's hit on DD was a "dirty play," despite the league (twice!) ruling that the play was completely legal in all respects. You guys still haven't let it drop! Don't even bring up the fact that none of the BC Lions (or their whiny fans) have even bothered to spew even the smallest apology towards Perry.

And you think Murphy is "unfairly targeted" because a mediocre, hot-headed ultimate-fighter defensive end for the super-relevant Edmonton Eskimos mentioned Murphy's name in a newspaper article somewhere? Let's not forget, it's the BC Lions that started the "Perry's hit was dirty" issue in the first place--which is entirely responsible for all the "payback" talk. If you guys would shut up about the legal hit on Dickenson, the refs wouldn't think you have any reason to retaliate.

I would call you guys a whaaaaambulance, but Buono's got them all on call for after tonight's game.