Attendance for Saskatchewan?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

Any chance that the Lions could hit 40k for this Thursday's big game at B.C. Place against the hated Roughriders?
LFITQ
Team Captain

On a thursday? I'm thinking not.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:Any chance that the Lions could hit 40k for this Thursday's big game at B.C. Place against the hated Roughriders?
I doubt a Thursday game allow for that to happen, perhaps a Friday night tilt with a healthy Lions lineup would increase the crowd size near that mark, but more likely 35K at most for a game in the summer, especially with good weather.

Edit: note the 35K was for a Friday night tilt, not a Thursday number, which I would think would be in the 32 - 33K mark as David is suggesting.
Last edited by Rammer on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:Any chance that the Lions could hit 40k for this Thursday's big game at B.C. Place against the hated Roughriders?
No chance. I'm guessing between 32K and 33K. Yes, the Riders are a good draw, but a Thursday night game and brilliant West Coast summer sunshine are conspiring against us. The injury situation, particularly to our starting quarterback will not draw the casual fans in either, but I'd like to think our 5-0 start should be worth something.

What I've noticed - and this should be of concern to Bob Ackles and David Braley - is almost complete lack of walk-up for the past couple of seasons. While our season ticket count and pre-game sales have been impressive, no one is deciding at say, 5:00pm that they want to head down to the stadium to catch a football game.

Anyone esle puzzled as to why Calgary only drew 28,564 for the first place Lions?!? I mean, it's not a terrible number, but coming off a victory, on a warm summer evening against Wally and the defending Grey Cup champs?? Hell, they drew more fans for Hamilton in Week One (29,103). There didn't seem to be any atmosphere in the first quarter either. Strange. :?

DH 8)
Last edited by David on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote: Anyone esle puzzled as to why Calgary only drew 28,564 for the first place Lions?!? I mean, it's not a terrible number, but coming off a victory, on a warm summer evening against Wally and the defending Grey Cup champs?? Hell, they drew more fans for Hamilton in Week One (29,103). There didn't seem to be any atmosphere in the first quarter either. Strange. :?

DH 8)
28 and a half K for the Lions? Wow, I noticed that the upper corners weren't filled, but that just doesn't seem right for the Stamps, as they hit over 30K for entire seasons recently, even with Feterik steering the ship. Summer isn't the time to get excited about CFL in the eyes of some CFL fans, although the Stamps had a big game the week before with the Argos at home, may have cut into the entertainment dollars available for some.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Ravi wrote: What I've noticed - and this should be of concern to Bob Ackles and David Braley - is almost complete lack of walk-up for the past couple of seasons. Yes, our season ticket count and pre-game sales have been impressive, no one is deciding at say, 5:00pm that they want to head down to the stadium to catch a football game.
DH 8)
The Maytag repairman is busier than the game day ticket window the past couple of seasons at the dome.

I think the simply answer is many of those walk-up fans now have season tickets. Since 2003 .... the Lions season ticket base has almost doubled but the actual attendance hasn't. I think it's further evidence a 35,000 seat stadium in this market is sufficient for regular season games.

Based on the ReThink campaign, the Lions believe there are still many more casual fans to win over.
Ravi
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
David wrote:
Ravi wrote: What I've noticed - and this should be of concern to Bob Ackles and David Braley - is almost complete lack of walk-up for the past couple of seasons. Yes, our season ticket count and pre-game sales have been impressive, no one is deciding at say, 5:00pm that they want to head down to the stadium to catch a football game.
DH 8)
The Maytag repairman is busier than the game day ticket window the past couple of seasons at the dome.

I think the simply answer is many of those walk-up fans now have season tickets. Since 2003 .... the Lions season ticket base has almost doubled but the actual attendance hasn't. I think it's further evidence a 35,000 seat stadium in this market is sufficient for regular season games.

Based on the ReThink campaign, the Lions believe there are still many more casual fans to win over.
Where are the other 20k or so fans who appeared at the '04 and/or '06 western finals? Those people are out there but how do you get them to go to a few regular season games each season?
LFITQ
Team Captain

That's simple. I was at the Western Finals you speak of, but I ain't making it in to Vancouver for a Thursday night game ...

A Western Final is a) played on a Sunday not a Thursday

b) is seen to be much more of an EVENT.

Vancouver is an EVENT town. If people perceive it to be a big deal they will come, thus the success they are witnessing with the "Beckham" coming to Vancouver (over 38,000 tickets sold already) and now the latest NBA game coming to Vancouver (rumour has it is nearing capacity).

I'm not about to take 2 days off work to come to a regular season game on a Thursday night. Many fans from other parts of the Lower Mainland itself will find it too much of a problem trying to get into downtown Vancouver on a Thursday night and then drive home and then get up and get going again bright and early for work on Friday morning. And I can't say I would blame them. There's been times after games where it has taken me over an hour to go from BC Place to Richmond - and that is leaving the tailgate after all the traffic has died down around midnight or so. I couldn't imagine trying to go to the game and then try and get someplace that doesn't have a skytrain connection and be with it at work the next day.

Thursday night games don't work. And I heard Bobby on the Team 1040 say the Lions were not at all happy about it when the schedule came out and they argued against it. They argued, they lost. But at least there are only 2 of them.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I hate Thursday night Lion home games as well..........the Hamilton game finished just before 2am EDT and I worked the next day.........the first thing I did when I got to the office was book off Aug 3rd.
Lloyd
Ravi
Legend

LFITQ wrote:That's simple. I was at the Western Finals you speak of, but I ain't making it in to Vancouver for a Thursday night game ...

Vancouver is an EVENT town. If people perceive it to be a big deal they will come, thus the success they are witnessing with the "Beckham" coming to Vancouver (over 38,000 tickets sold already) and now the latest NBA game coming to Vancouver (rumour has it is nearing capacity).

I'm not about to take 2 days off work to come to a regular season game on a Thursday night. Many fans from other parts of the Lower Mainland itself will find it too much of a problem trying to get into downtown Vancouver on a Thursday night and then drive home and then get up and get going again bright and early for work on Friday morning. And I can't say I would blame them. There's been times after games where it has taken me over an hour to go from BC Place to Richmond - and that is leaving the tailgate after all the traffic has died down around midnight or so. I couldn't imagine trying to go to the game and then try and get someplace that doesn't have a skytrain connection and be with it at work the next day.

Thursday night games don't work. And I heard Bobby on the Team 1040 say the Lions were not at all happy about it when the schedule came out and they argued against it. They argued, they lost. But at least there are only 2 of them.
Why is Beckham coming to Vancouver?? Is the Galaxy playing the Whitecaps at B.C. Place? Also, what NBA game are you talking about? Is it Steve Nash's charity game?
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:
LFITQ wrote:That's simple. I was at the Western Finals you speak of, but I ain't making it in to Vancouver for a Thursday night game ...

Why is Beckham coming to Vancouver?? Is the Galaxy playing the Whitecaps at B.C. Place? Also, what NBA game are you talking about? Is it Steve Nash's charity game?
Yes, and no. Beckham is coming to play the Whitecaps in an exhibiton game and the Suns are playing the Sonics at GM Place for another exhibition game.

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=13145
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Thursday's SUCK. I've been saying for years that the Vancouver fans want weekend games.. and those were the days when we were told due to small crowds that everyone went out for the weekend. I called *poop* then and the last couple of season's has shown them that they were wrong. Weekends rule... even Bobby as much said so last year. So what happens now? Back to weekdays.

*frig* ing assholes.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Oh, my prediction... very low 30's :thdn: Maybe not even that. Hell, I'm changing it to 29,543
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I do think we'll get over 30, but anything more than about 33 or 34 would be a shocker. The reason, as it's been said in this thread already, is Thursday. I can't stand Thursday games either and I'm thankful that I don't work a lot in the summer or else I'd be pissed if I had to get up the next morning to go to work after a late night at the dome the night before. The fact that the Grey Cup Champions can't even get a decent home schedule is retarded. Just another classic case of this franchise being disrespected by the league. I remember doing surveys inside BC Place before where it asked what night is best to have games on and I answered Saturday. I really wish we could get a better home schedule, hopefully after we repeat we'll finally get a few things that are owed to us.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For the past two seasons, the Lions have played on the Friday of the B.C. Day long weekend and failed to break 30,000 both times.

Friday, July 29, 2005 vs. Calgary: 28,714 (second smallest of the season)
Friday, Aug. 4, 2006 vs. Edmonton: 27,312 (smallest of the season)

Unless there are many thousands of people wearing green, I can't see this one drawing a good crowd.