Jarious to Start!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Jackson gets top job
July 29, 2007

By Perry Lefko, Sportsnet.ca

Quarterback Jarious Jackson, whom the B.C. Lions were trying to trade in the off-season, has inherited the starter's job with the team.

With Dave Dickenson, who began the season as the starter, shelved indefinitely with concussion-like symptoms, and backup Buck Pierce nursing turf toe suffered in the last game and injured ribs from the previous game, Jackson has been promoted to number one for Thursday's game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders at B.C. Place.

Jackson has played in the Lions' last three games following injuries to Dickenson and Pierce.

The Lions had Jackson, a third-year player out of Mississippi, on the trade block in the off-season feeling they had a surplus of quarterbacks.

The Lions recently signed Gino Guidugli from Green Bay of Arena League 2 to add another quarterback.

Pierce is expected to be in the lineup for the Roughriders' game, but the Lions are hoping they don't have to use him.

The Lions are the only undefeated team in the Canadian Football League with a 5-0 record.

Saskatchewan is 3-2.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

It's about time.
Rammer
Team Captain

Well I hope that Jarious doesn't try to do too much in his start, as a QB in his position(situation) is apt to attempt. (1)Please get the dump pass down pat, (2)along with two reads and start running with your head up for a receiver working their way to open space. (3)Also please please remember to hook slide, don't take anyone on head first.....

(4) Most important of all, use your CFL talents to their fullest, and let the receivers do their jobs. Good luck, we will be the 13th man for you if you can keep the game close or even better jump out ahead.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

What an opportunity for JJ who seems to have grasped the Lions new offence better than DD or Buck at this point of the season ... in that he isn't hesitant in throwing the ball downfield.
It is concern, however, that he won't get the luxury of sitting back and watching a couple of quarters before going in, something even he said was of great benefit on Saturday night. At the same time he won't be going in to protect leads so he should have much more of the playbook to work with.

What a tough start to the season for Buck. He just hasn't looked comfortable from the get go and the injuries have been racking up at the same time.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:What an opportunity for JJ who seems to have grasped the Lions new offence better than DD or Buck at this point of the season ... in that he isn't hesitant in throwing the ball downfield.
It is concern, however, that he won't get the luxury of sitting back and watching a couple of quarters before going in, something even he said was of great benefit on Saturday night. At the same time he won't be going in to protect leads so he should have much more of the playbook to work with.

What a tough start to the season for Buck. He just hasn't looked comfortable from the get go and the injuries have been racking up at the same time.
I haven't seen our O come out with a full package yet in a game SG, in fact you can attribute the slow first half starts to that, IMO. What the Lions have been doing for the most part is playing a methodical O, that is waiting for our D to take advantage of the oppositions mistakes. First mistake opens up the game somewhat, and there is nothing wrong with that (noticed by our 5 - 0 record), but it isn't exactly an open offense just yet. Maybe we wait until we are behind to find that O, but I could live without that scenario unfolding. ;)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good to see the Lions are going to give Pierce some time to rest up. It's a long season and we're going to need him.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Good to see the Lions are going to give Pierce some time to rest up. It's a long season and we're going to need him.
Apparently, sigh. Buck has to start stepping into his throws, although the injuries may have a bearing on his foot work in the last game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JJ is looking more like Casey Printers, and not just because of his wild scramble and first-down run in the Calgary game. A couple of examples are the way he looks to throw the deep ball whenever possible, even when shorter throws are available, and the way he slid from the pocket and found Rodgers in the endzone for the eventual winning TD in Calgary. It's the same offence that DD and BP were running but it looks different in his hands.

I don't know if that style will work against Saskatchewan. James Johnson was vulnerable in pass coverage last year to the point that the B.C. gameplan in the WDF seemed to be to attack him at every opportunity but he looks much better this year. The Riders lose a lot of experience with Eddie Davis on the nine-game injury list. Both teams' secondaries will look different than they did in their last meeting just a few weeks ago.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:JJ is looking more like Casey Printers, and not just because of his wild scramble and first-down run in the Calgary game. A couple of examples are the way he looks to throw the deep ball whenever possible, even when shorter throws are available, and the way he slid from the pocket and found Rodgers in the endzone for the eventual winning TD in Calgary. It's the same offence that DD and BP were running but it looks different in his hands.

I don't know if that style will work against Saskatchewan. James Johnson was vulnerable in pass coverage last year to the point that the B.C. gameplan in the WDF seemed to be to attack him at every opportunity but he looks much better this year. The Riders lose a lot of experience with Eddie Davis on the nine-game injury list. Both teams' secondaries will look different than they did in their last meeting just a few weeks ago.
Expect a slugfest with the first mistake opening up the O for the team finding themselves behind, and Joseph isn't as good as Burris facing that scenario. It is important to force the Riders into a mistake or two and take advantage of it in order to win this game, otherwise, they have a relative injury free team coming into BC Place that gives us fits at the best of time (although we do seem to come out on top in those best of times contests). 8)
Blitz
Team Captain

JJ is looking more like Casey Printers, and not just because of his wild scramble and first-down run in the Calgary game. A couple of examples are the way he looks to throw the deep ball whenever possible, even when shorter throws are available, and the way he slid from the pocket and found Rodgers in the endzone for the eventual winning TD in Calgary. It's the same offence that DD and BP were running but it looks different in his hands.
What an opportunity for JJ who seems to have grasped the Lions new offence better than DD or Buck at this point of the season ... in that he isn't hesitant in throwing the ball downfield.
No question that Jarious has looked the most dangerous of all our quarterbacks this season and has been able to get the ball into the end zone. The fact that he looks deep first has been important. Secondly, he's been the only quarterback to scramble and still look downfield for a receiver! His pass to Rodgers was an example of that!

I didn't want our Leos to trade Jarious and in fact I believe we should sign him to an extension. It wasn't a challenging concept to realize we would need Jarious this season and we will in the future.

This is going to be a tough game for Jarious. Unfortunately he gets his first start with a team that is stuggling with a rash of injuries and will have to take a lot of heat if he is the quarterback of the day for our first loss! I won't look at it like that. He's a third string quarterback with limited playing time and if he plays above that standard it's a bonus.

Jarious has always had the best arm of any qb on the Leos, even stronger than Printers arm although no one could throw the deep ball as accurately as Printers and on the run as well. Jarious is strong, can scramble and roll out but definitely needs some touch and confidence on his short underneath throws.

As Rammer notes...the Riders are tough enough to beat with a healthy lineup but perhaps our wounded Leos will still roar. Happy to see that Buck is getting an opportunity to heal up!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

A great opportunity for him. He has really impressed me when he has come into the games he has played this year.
Lets Go Lions!
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

As much as I am very happy to see JJ finally getting his first ever start with the Lions, I'm even more happy to see Buck finally getting some healing time, even if it's 2 games late!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

We're going to need both of these guys healthy if a 2007 GC appearance is in the future, as sadly, I doubt that DD will contribute much from here on in.
Lloyd
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:oops: Well I'll admit I was one of the 'get what you can for him' (JJ). I'm glad there weren't any takers (I doubt he was even shopped). He looks better than he did when I saw him in preseason. This is just further proof about how things are here in the CFL. Being willing to be backup or 3rd stringer doesn't mean you're not gonna be starting in the near future.
squishy35
Legend

Several knowledgeable posters here have stated time and time again that JJ looks to be the best QB at practice. Perhaps he now has ample on-field experience to let him "bust loose" now. :cr:

It would be nice to see him have a terriffic game.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:Several knowledgeable posters here have stated time and time again that JJ looks to be the best QB at practice. Perhaps he now has ample on-field experience to let him "bust loose" now. :cr:

It would be nice to see him have a terriffic game.
IMHO, you won't see the best of JJ until they open up the playbook and run alot more bootlegs/rollouts to make use of his mobility.........if they stick with the DD playbook, hopefully we will see at least a good JJ.
Lloyd