Ryan Thelwell = Waldo?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Did anyone see Ryan Thelwell in the Lions/Stamps game yesterday? I would like to think that the Stampeders would have given him some extra plays in order to try and stir his competitive juices against his former teammates. A clear message is being sent to RT by this coaching decision, tough to take as an RT fan.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Rammer wrote:Did anyone see Ryan Thelwell in the Lions/Stamps game yesterday? I would like to think that the Stampeders would have given him some extra plays in order to try and stir his competitive juices against his former teammates. A clear message is being sent to RT by this coaching decision, tough to take as an RT fan.
I saw him walk off the field at the end of the game. Thats about all he was involved with. The family reunion. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Quesdad
Champion

He didn't get on the field and I didn't get to see him at any time which was a disappointment. Interestingly at the pub that night asked Reynolds how Ryan was and he had a confused look on his face as though he didn't know who I was talking about, until I said Thelwell. I asked if he would pass on our love for him and the Waterboys with me all agreed. (I 'll get Ken to post the picture from the pub... seemed to be a very young crowd so some of us older guys left before midnight!!!). The Stampeder fans tried to get him to put on my Grey Cup ring but he refused to even look at it, and I couldn't blame him. He obviously wanting to get his own. I did tell him that at Breakfast, the Lions said stop him and number one and the game was theirs, I said that speaks to the respect they have for you. I think he appreciated the comment but I think it alsoo reminded him ...only 35!!!!
lion24
Legend

Rammer wrote:Did anyone see Ryan Thelwell in the Lions/Stamps game yesterday? I would like to think that the Stampeders would have given him some extra plays in order to try and stir his competitive juices against his former teammates. A clear message is being sent to RT by this coaching decision, tough to take as an RT fan.
I get the feeling that he will be forgotten with all the receivers they have not to mention the egos? Don't let the "team first" propaganda from Lewis and Copeland fool anyone and Boerigter also seems a little whiney? Copeland I guess does deserve some credit though with not crying at the start of the season when he was not a starting receiver.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
LFITQ
Team Captain

I thought I heard on the radio that he was MIA?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I heard on the post game that Thelwell has been a major disappointment this year. The only reason he's on the roster is his citizenship
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I heard on the post game that Thelwell has been a major disappointment this year. The only reason he's on the roster is his citizenship
SEND HIM BACK!!!!
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Oh yeah.... the Stump fans were irate on their post game show that RT has not contributed to the team. Look at it this way.... who the heck is the QB for the Stumps?? None of their receiving corp really stood out yesterday. I'm telling ya, Burris is too stupid to QB any team. His poor decision making is making their whole O unit look bad.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I heard on the post game that Thelwell has been a major disappointment this year. The only reason he's on the roster is his citizenship
SEND HIM BACK!!!!
Buono didn't want him back, that's the reason why he's in Calgary
Quesdad
Champion

You are dead right I'm afraid. wally may like him as an individual but he has an obligation to his boss to build a winning team each year. His personal likes or dislikes don't enter it as I've gathered it is how does that cog fit to make the machine to work and win. Thats what he gets paid for, and I know his personal opinon of Ryan rivals mine but, thats not his job!! The Stamps on the other hand have the option to put a class act into their corp but Higgans has other coloured glasses which makes him a coach of Calgary and not a student of Wally.
Rammer
Team Captain

Quesdad wrote:You are dead right I'm afraid. wally may like him as an individual but he has an obligation to his boss to build a winning team each year. His personal likes or dislikes don't enter it as I've gathered it is how does that cog fit to make the machine to work and win. Thats what he gets paid for, and I know his personal opinon of Ryan rivals mine but, thats not his job!! The Stamps on the other hand have the option to put a class act into their corp but Higgans has other coloured glasses which makes him a coach of Calgary and not a student of Wally.
We just inserted Mock into the lineup, I am sure that RT would be on Wally's radar should he become available. When Wally made that call at the end of last season, we were much deeper than our current roster is. Colon, Lindstrom, and Simmons were all available to Wally when that call went in, last week none of the three were in the lineup, making his decision now, it may be different.

But I know that it certainly won't be at the salary that Calgary is paying Ryan.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Quesdad wrote:You are dead right I'm afraid. wally may like him as an individual but he has an obligation to his boss to build a winning team each year. His personal likes or dislikes don't enter it as I've gathered it is how does that cog fit to make the machine to work and win. Thats what he gets paid for, and I know his personal opinon of Ryan rivals mine but, thats not his job!! The Stamps on the other hand have the option to put a class act into their corp but Higgans has other coloured glasses which makes him a coach of Calgary and not a student of Wally.
We just inserted Mock into the lineup, I am sure that RT would be on Wally's radar should he become available. When Wally made that call at the end of last season, we were much deeper than our current roster is. Colon, Lindstrom, and Simmons were all available to Wally when that call went in, last week none of the three were in the lineup, making his decision now, it may be different.

But I know that it certainly won't be at the salary that Calgary is paying Ryan.
Ralph is already ahead of him on the depth chart and Howell seems to be seeing more balls as well. I too have wondered if RT becomes a pre-Labour Day casualty given his salary and his current role. I would love to see him back here if the circumstances are right.
Rammer
Team Captain

Circumstances have to be very wrong in order to see RT back in the uniform he belongs in, sadly. :wink:
PierceFan23
prospect

I'm shocked there's talk about bringing him back. Unless the lads are in desperate need, he was let got for a reason and should remain gone...
Lions Fan Since Pre-Dunigan
http://www.bclionsfan.com
Grey is the colour, cuz it looks good on our next cup!
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

PierceFan23 wrote:I'm shocked there's talk about bringing him back. Unless the lads are in desperate need, he was let got for a reason and should remain gone...
He wasn't let go because of a drop in ability........the mitigating circumstances were 1) Lions had young, NI depth that needed to see the field 2) Unreasonable contract demands because of a new, young player agent 3) He's 33.

Because of the unexpected loss of Colon and with the injury situation.......should the Stamps decide to cut RT loose........and he kicks his agent in the head.......we may yet see him here for another shot at a GC ring.........unless a team desperate for a NI receiver goes after him with more money.
Lloyd