Leos/Calgary Post-Game Thoughts!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

A big victory on the road!! :s: This was a hard fought battle against a Calgary team that really wanted to beat us. We went into the game missing three key regulars and we lost others to injury within the game. We showed our team toughness in this big victory!

OFFENCE

We started the game slowly. Clermont dropped a second down pass, Buck missed on a second down throw to Mock, and Murphy took a roughing penalty and those three mistakes led to us going two and out on our first three series.

Buck started to get the offence going with his legs on our fourth series and his deep throw to Simon resulted in a pass interference call that set us up deep inside Calgary territory. However, Buck just missed Clermont in the end zone and we had to settle for aanother field goal.

Buck failed to connect with Chad Mock, with the first half winding down, following a defensive turnover, but luckily the turnover only led to a missed Calgary field goal attempt. Buck left a number of good plays on the football field in the first half, according to Wally Buono

In the second half Jarious Jackson entered the football game, with Buck Pierce’s turf toe bothering him. Jackson handed the football off to Smith and Lyle Green and then threw long, into the end zone for a touchdown and Simon’s biggest gain of the season. On the next series Jarious went deep to Rodgers for a 31 yard gain. We then went two back set again and Lyle Green blocked and Smith exploded for a huge touchdown run to give us a 25-11 lead.

Kruck and Dorazio went very conservative in the fourth quarter, trying to protect the lead and Calgary stacked the box. Jackson scrambled very well and hit Rodgers in the end zone, from 15 yards out for a big touchdown. We put the game on Smith and the offensive line's shoulders in the final minute and they came through with big first downs to seal the victory! Smith was our offensive star of this game and it was good to see Geroy play an important role in the victory!
Jarious also came through big in the second half to help lead us to victory.
DEFENSE

On the second play of the game on defense Brent Johnson brought down Henry Burris with a single arm tackle, while he was still being blocked. Cameron Wake and Jamal Johnson also swarmed the play. On the next Calgary series it was Cameron Wake and Aaron Hunt all over Burris, forcing a bad pass. It set the tone early in the game. After that Calgary went to a lot of double tights, two and three back sets, and a deep shotgun to help Burris with protection.

We forced Calgary to go two and out on their first three series of the game, pinning them deep in their own zone. In the first half Wake and Johnson combined with another sack on Burris. Ryan Phillips made an excellent knock down to stop a Calgary drive and force Calgary’s first field goal.

However, Calgary’s screen pass to Cote was an excellent play call that completed a long drive, leading to Calgary’s first touchdown late in the second quarter. Glatt forced a key fumble on Henry Burris, with Calgary marching the football towards the end of the first half. Knowlton had an excellent first half playing nickel for the injured Mark Washington, who went out early. Phillips also had an outstanding first half, showing great anticipation skills.

In the second half a defensive mixup led to a big completion to Nic Lewis but Korey Banks, playing hurt, made an outstanding play to intercept the football in the end zone. Brent Johnson forced a Burris fumble in the fourth quarter and Hunt’s recovery was shut down another Calgary attempted comeback. We gave up a couple of touchdowns late, as Burris scrambled well to buy time and our defense line couldn't corral him back there late in the game! It provided Calgary an opportunity to make a comeback. However, key turnovers by our defense were huge in this victory!

SPECIAL TEAMS

Jamal Johnson put a tremendous lick on Howell on Calgary’s first punt return. McCallum made a great coffin corner punt in the first quarter. In the second half CameronWake made a great play as he blocked a Calgary field goal and Mitchell recovered. Our downfield coverage was excellent as was McCallum's punting! Smart ran hard on special teams!

WRAP

We saw some good things from our offence in this game. First we went multi-formational. We completed passes to Geroy and got him involved. We saw Lyle Green for the very first time this year, lined up at fullback, with Joe Smith lined up at tailback. On the very first play Green made a key block to spring Joe Smith for a 20 yard gain. We used the two back set of Green and Smith a lot in the second half and it was very effective.

We saw the Leos put Simon in motion and fake to Joe Smith, hitting Simon on the swing pass pass. We saw a double tight end set, with a play action fake to Smith and then Buck hit Simon for an excellent pass and run. We saw Jarious Jackson come into the game on second and short and hand off to Joe Smith, instead of sneaking it himself, a first this season. It was interesting that all of the above were suggested by the consumate website on pro football—LIONBACKERS! We might have to start charging a fee for Leos coaches to read our advice instead of the Leos worrying about whether we’re giving away info to opposing teams. :wink:

Kruck/Dorazio went too conservative in the fourth quarter. With Buck ailing Jarious had an excellent second half overall and led us with 21 second half points! Anyone wish we would have had a developmental quarterback and traded Jarious now? :x

This was also a gutty effort by our defense. We overcame injuries to Washington and Banks during the football game. Johnson was a monster, Hunt stepped up, and Wake was excellent. Jamal Johnson showed what a tremendous linebacker he is going to be. Knowlton really stepped up for Washington and Phillips was outstanding!

A big victory for our Leos on the road, overcoming injuries, for our huge fifth win of the season! Way to go guys!! :beer:
Last edited by Blitz on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:WRAP

We saw some good things from our offence in this game. First we went multi-formational. We completed passes to Geroy and got him involved. We saw Lyle Green for the very first time this year, lined up at fullback, with Joe Smith lined up at tailback. On the very first play Green made a key block to spring Joe Smith for a 20 yard gain. We used the two back set of Green and Smith a lot in the second half and it was very effective.

We saw the Leos put Simon in motion and fake to Joe Smith, hitting Simon on the swing pass pass. We saw a double tight end set, with a play action fake to Smith and then Buck hit Simon for an excellent pass and run. We saw Jarious Jackson come into the game on second and short and hand off to Joe Smith, instead of sneaking it himself, a first this season. It was interesting that all of the above were suggested by the consumate website on pro football—LIONBACKERS! We might have to start charging a fee for Leos coaches to read our advice instead of the Leos worrying about whether we’re giving away info to opposing teams. :wink:

Kruck/Dorazio went too conservative in the fourth quarter. With Buck ailing Jarious had an excellent second half overall and led us with 21 second half points! Anyone wish we would have had a developmental quarterback and traded Jarious now? :x

This was also a gutty effort by our defense. We overcame injuries to Washington and Banks during the football game. Johnson was a monster, Hunt stepped up, and Wake was excellent. Jamal Johnson showed what a tremendous linebacker he is going to be. Knowlton really stepped up for Washington and Phillips was outstanding!

A big victory for our Leos on the road, overcoming injuries, for our huge fifth win of the season! Way to go guys!! :beer:
Blitz... great summary as usual and you got this in well before deadline. Ever contemplated a sports writing career???!!!!

Yes, a lot of the ideas from the site turned up today with the exception of going conservative in the fourth.

What worked for them in the third was the running of Joe Smith with the big guys up front blocking effectively. This bolstered JJ's confidence and worked well for them.

Got a meeting tonight... out of here.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There's no such thing as being too conservative when protecting a lead in the fourth quarter, as long as the effort is successful. The B.C. coaching staff has great faith in the defence, even with four DBs hurt. They wanted to run the ball as much as possible to eat up the clock and it worked. It wasn't a blowout but was the fifth straight B.C. victory.
Rammer
Team Captain

We have to worry about our injuries, but that we won this one inspite of them and on the road is a true testimony to our Championship club.

Onto the Riders. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Luke
All Star

Goodness gracious, if we suffer any more injuries...Banks, Floyd, Washington and Marsh all hurt now. Thats our entire weakside, as Rick and Giulio noted. no I don't know how we're going to continue winning if these injuries continue like this. Karma has to kick in at some point on the injury front.

I liked Joe Smith's running, but everything else on offense left something to be desired. I probably don't have the keen eye that some here have, but the offense just doesn't look in sync. It looks disjointed. The players don't look confident, particularly the QBs. Jarious Jackson needs take some of the easy stuff, as someone noted earlier. That one play where he play-action'd and had Lyle Green wide open in the flat, and then chose to double back against the grain and run himself. That kind of stuff can't happen.

I loved the effort and the gutsy play of some of our second and even third stringers. Guys like Knowlton and Crawford did very well under the circumstances that they were thrust into.

The ability of different players on this team to step up and make plays when it counts is absolutely amazing. From the Korey Banks interception in the endzone to Cameron Wake's blocked FG, I'm so impressed with the heart this team showed to stick it out and come up with a win.

Overall, a gutsy and ugly win on the road. The guys deserve a lot of credit for pulling this one out. Hopefully the injuries aren't serious, and Washington, Banks, etc. will be back next week against Saskatchewan.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

We gave up a couple of touchdowns late, as Burris scrambled well to buy time and our defense line couldn't corral him back there late in the game! It provided Calgary an opportunity to make a comeback. However, key turnovers by our defense were huge in this victory!
Being on the field so long for going so many two and outs due to an inexperienced but outstanding young Qb in his developmental years, I though our defense got pretty worn down by about half way through the fourth quarter and through they were doing their best to stay after it and contain Hank, they looked tired and understandably so.
It was interesting that all of the above were suggested by the consummate website on pro football—LIONBACKERS! We might have to start charging a fee for Leo’s coaches to read our advice instead of the Leos worrying about whether we’re giving away info to opposing teams. :wink:

The plans were in the mail and they were receptive to opening up the rest of the Huffnagle playbook
as was discussed, after the Hamilton tilt.

Let hope they remain open to the fan's suggestions, Blitz. :cr:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Joe Smith looked awesome. I'd love to hear who Burris is gonna try to hang this loss on. I too am looking forward to Sask.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A character win by the Lions given the number of injuries entering the game and the subsequent injuries suffered during the game. The old cliche rang true tonight: Statistics are for losers. Calgary's offence outplayed our offence tonight but thanks to the number of brain cramps by Henry Burris the Lions escaped with the 2 points.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Calgary's passing offence outplayed our passing offence tonight ...
Just had to make a slight modification to that quote ... Holding Joffrey Reynolds to 35 yards is huge. 0 sacks by the Lions Oline is also another huge positive.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
lion24
Legend

notahomer wrote:Joe Smith looked awesome. I'd love to hear who Burris is gonna try to hang this loss on. I too am looking forward to Sask.
I am banking on his red contacts :roll: :roll:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
Calgary's passing offence outplayed our passing offence tonight ...
Just had to make a slight modification to that quote ... Holding Joffrey Reynolds to 35 yards is huge. 0 sacks by the Lions Oline is also another huge positive.
The Lions had the Stamps exactly where they wanted them, in a hole and forcing the ball downfield to try to make things happen. Losing teams pile up passing yardage but they did not do it efficiently.

The key to the game was controlling the line of scrimmage, and the Lions did that on both sides of the ball. B.C. had 4 sacks and countless hurries on Burris, while the Stamps didn't register a sack. Burris turned the ball over 4 times and was often chased from the pocket and forced to improvise. He piled up some rushing yards doing it, but the Stamps were behind on the scoreboard and couldn't control the ball on the ground. Reynolds was held to 35 yards rushing, while Joe Smith had over 100 yards for the Lions. B.C. as a team racked up 176 yards rushing. It was a great game by the offensive and defensive lines on a hot day that can be very draining on a big body.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anybody know how many sacks Brent Johnson was credited with tonight ?
LFITQ
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Anybody know how many sacks Brent Johnson was credited with tonight ?
I think the Team said 2, but don't quote me on it ...
CFL.ca wrote:Due to technical problems at McMahon Stadium in Calgary, live game stats were not available. The CFL apologizes for the inconvenience and will work to publish final stats ASAP.
Last edited by LFITQ on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Anybody know how many sacks Brent Johnson was credited with tonight ?
I think the Team said 2, but don't quote me on it ...
I wonder how that one sack early on on Burris was credited, really Wake and Johnson should get a half sack on the play, but I don't think that the CFL offers that 1/2 sack up statistically.
Entertainment value = an all time low
maddeep73
Champion

Lions had better get healthy quickly, or the Rider game isn't going to be pretty. The best thing that happened today was a huge win in a big game for the Riders, much like the last time we faced them, they may have an emotional letdown.
I wonder if the coaching thought might be to sit all/most of the banged up guys because at 5-0 there is already a slight cushion? Not likely, it's not Wally's style, but it may be a wise move this early in the year.
Keepin' it real