Leos/Calgary Post-Game Thoughts!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

In his post-game press conference, Tom Higgins was asked about the fact Calgary had more yards on offence than B.C.
"It's irrelevant," he said. "You win the turnover battle, you don't need that many yards."
Video link on Michael Petrie's blog
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Total team effort. The Pride of the Lions on display.

Guts. Determination. Tough, physical play. Doing what it takes to win. Overcoming adversity. Digging down deep at the end when the D had nothing left in reserve holding off a well-prepared desperate, determined team.

SPECIAL teams very special.

Our O did enough good things. We have to accept the fact that teams are playing their brains out against us (especially on defense) and we are still winning. We are down to third stringers in some cases and still getting it done. When CFL teams play the new defenses well, it is going to be difficult to have a lot of continuity on offense. But we blocked well, ran well, and did enough with the passing game to get us through.

On a hot night, the Lions D eventually got a bit tired, and Henry Burris played as he can do when at his best. We withstood it.

I could not be prouder of our guys. They play with big heart and leave it all on the field. There should a lot of very tired, satisfied Lions on the plane ride home.
LFITQ
Team Captain

because at 5-0 there is already a slight cushion?
Not sure I would consider 5-0 much of a cushion vs a team that is 3-2. You never know when that might evaporate quickly (especially with injuries).
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Anybody know how many sacks Brent Johnson was credited with tonight ?
I think the Team said 2, but don't quote me on it ...
I wonder how that one sack early on on Burris was credited, really Wake and Johnson should get a half sack on the play, but I don't think that the CFL offers that 1/2 sack up statistically.
According to the unofficial stats, the Lions had 4 total sacks; Wake had two and Johnson and Hunt were credited with one each.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:
I think the Team said 2, but don't quote me on it ...
I wonder how that one sack early on on Burris was credited, really Wake and Johnson should get a half sack on the play, but I don't think that the CFL offers that 1/2 sack up statistically.
According to the unofficial stats, the Lions had 4 total sacks; Wake had two and Johnson and Hunt were credited with one each.
I guess that Wake gets the credit for that sack, CFL should open up the 1/2 sack and also credit BJ with a sack and a forced fumble on the Burris fumble.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

The other noticeable, even on TV, was the sheer lack of vision ANY of our 3 QB's seem to have this year
It's been the only real problem with our offence all season so far! The play that Jarious didn't hit Green was so obvious and also because it was replayed and the commentators mentioned it. Actually a more obvious play happened earlier in the second half when Jarious was almost intercepted and he had a wide open reciever underneath. However, Jarious has only 1thrown 12 passes prior to this game and he hasn't had much game experience at all since he's been with our Leos so I'm more forgiving and I also like the fact that he looks downfield first..he just needs to learn to come back underneath more.

Buck left a lot more open receivers out there in the first half. I wasn't in favor of starting Buck for this game. I felt that we should go with Jarious and only go with Buck if needed. We probably wouldn't have needed Buck for this game and he could have healed up some more. Instead he's aggravated his turf toe to go along with his healing right hand and bruised ribs. We all know how badly Printers aggravated his turf toe in 2004 by having it shot before games and playing on it! Of course I've stuggled with our Leos decisions with who they've started at quarterback, at various times, over three seasons.

Why our quarterbacks are missing open receivers this season is beyond me! Dickenson missed a whole bunch of them during his time playing this season and Buck did prior to his injury as well. Jarious missed a couple today as noted. I had higher expectations of Dickenson and I have higher expectations of Buck, due to the fact that he has had much more CFL game experience than Jackson. I believe, however, that Jarious will get better as he continues to play and based upon how little he's played for our Leos he's doing a hellu of a job for a third string quarterback! When our quarterbacks start finding those open receivers we should have a great offence!
The Lions had the Stamps exactly where they wanted them, in a hole and forcing the ball downfield to try to make things happen. Losing teams pile up passing yardage but they did not do it efficiently.

The key to the game was controlling the line of scrimmage, and the Lions did that on both sides of the ball. B.C. had 4 sacks and countless hurries on Burris, while the Stamps didn't register a sack.
We shut down the Calgary run, which was such a key and won the battle of the trenches and the turnover battle. Do all those things in a game and you should win!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Winning the battle in the trenches goes a long way to winning the turnover battle, which has been our lifeline on this 5 game win streak.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Total team effort. The Pride of the Lions on display.

Guts. Determination. Tough, physical play. Doing what it takes to win. Overcoming adversity. Digging down deep at the end when the D had nothing left in reserve holding off a well-prepared desperate, determined team.

SPECIAL teams very special.

Our O did enough good things. We have to accept the fact that teams are playing their brains out against us (especially on defense) and we are still winning. We are down to third stringers in some cases and still getting it done. When CFL teams play the new defenses well, it is going to be difficult to have a lot of continuity on offense. But we blocked well, ran well, and did enough with the passing game to get us through.

On a hot night, the Lions D eventually got a bit tired, and Henry Burris played as he can do when at his best. We withstood it.

I could not be prouder of our guys. They play with big heart and leave it all on the field. There should a lot of very tired, satisfied Lions on the plane ride home.
:whs:

What we saw today was nothing short of amazing when you really think about.

This team went into another teams backyard, missing a plethora of 1st stringers at the start of the game and missing a whole pile more by the end. Most teams in this league would struggle at home with anyone other than their #1 pivot. We managed with our # 3 and a patchwork D and O and still got the job done as visitors. And although I wouldn't want this to happen alot, I can't help but think that the guys who got chances to play today will only benefit down the line. What WestCoastJoe said is right on the money. How many teams in this league could pull off what these guys did today?

Bravo Lions Bravo
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Did anyone else notice that the Leos chewed up huge chunks on the ground when Green was in there at fullback. Green was in there on Smith's huge touchdown run and many of his big gains in the second half. They also ran Green twice in the game!

It was coincidental.. but last week on Lionbackers that we were calling for Lyle Green to play and also for our Leos to go more multiformational. Green hadn't played a regular season down in our first four games and suddenly he's in there and it all works so well! Great so see Lionbackers thoughts turn out so well!!

I have always thought Green is the most versatile fullback in the CFL. He can block (that was obvious today), he can pass block, he can run, he can catch, and he can go deep!

Now, the Leos gotta add a screen series! The screen pass is being reintroduced this season (both Hamilton and Calgary executed it well) and it's time to reintroduce it into our arsenal. It's best run utilizing the fullback!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Had to work until 5:00 today so I taped then game and then did everything I could to avoid finding out the score until the game was over when I could watch the tape. I just finished watching the game hence the lateness in my post-game thoughts. Anyways...

Very pumped about tonight's game! I'm so pleased you guys have no idea. I have a few points to make, I just hope I remember them all and please bear with me if my points don't really flow, I'm just writing them down as they come to me:

- Our entire defensive line played a fantastic game tonight, great work gentlemen! They were getting pressure all night long and generated a lot of sacks. They forced Henry Burris out of the pocket so many times I lost count and even though Burris burned us a couple of times by eluding tackles that would have dropped lesser QBs, I was still impressed by the number of times we had to force him to make plays under fire. (hats of to Burris though, he made some great plays, I don't hang anything on our Defence for that, it was just great athletic ability that Burris displayed, no shame in that.)

- Markeith Knowlton played very well, I was damn impressed with him. Despite getting burned by Copeland, he made up for it by breaking up a sure TD on the very next play. He also recovered a fumble and made another good play in the 1st Qtr. It was sure tough to see Korey Banks go down, but when you've got guys like Knowlton to fill in you're sitting pretty.

- Tyson Craiggs had a good game on special teams tonight. Made a couple nice plays. Gotta give some love to those special teamers!

- Our O-Line was dominating Calgary! They gave our QBs tons of time to make reads and opened up massive holes for our running game. After a couple of subpar performances they stepped up in a big way tonight.

- Geroy Simon finally did something! Props to the entire coaching staff for getting creative in getting Geroy involved in the game early. Also props to our QBs for going out of their way to look for him tonight. Finally, props to Geroy himself for making some outstanding plays. The catch he made on the TD was gorgeous!! And it looks like he's been taking some lessons from Jason Clermont about taking hits and still maintaining possession.

- I was pleased with how we made more attempts to open things up in the passing game. We must have taken more shots downfield tonight than we did in the previous 4 games combined. Even though we didn't have a lot of success with the passing game and had a lot of incompletions, the fact they were at least trying to stretch the field was a breath of fresh air. In time those incompletions will start being 30 yard 1st downs so keep working on it!

- Korey Banks is a trooper, man. He gets knocked out on three separate occasions and came back on two of them. You could tell he was really hurting but still was able to make the play in the endzone and save us being scored upon. Hope he'll be alright.

- Jarious Jackson was very good. When the team needed him to play more than just mop up duty he stepped up and led this team to victory. That scramble where he avoided like 4 or 5 tackles was very Printersesque, loved seeing that from him. His downfield strike to Geroy was a laser and he just looked so poised in there after his somewhat tentative play against Saskatchewan.

- Finally......JOE FREAKING SMITH!!! Hell yeah! What a dominating performance! After getting wheeled off the field last week against the Ticats, he comes in tonight and just plows through Stampeders like they're nothing to post his second straight 100 yard game. That TD run was just beautiful. However, he saved his best for last in this one. Those two runs in the last minute for 1st downs were just so clutch. I friggin' love having a RB who we can just smash defences with and eat up the clock when we need to hang on to a lead. That kind of luxury is such a nice feeling. Joe was awesome! MEMO TO ARMITAGE AND JONES -- I've been using the "No Ordinary Joe" moniker in reference to Joe Smith this season long before you guys were. :yes:

Bottom line, THIS is how you're supposed to win a football game. Tons of players made statements tonight. We went into hostile territory and gave them a nice dose of Lions football. We walked onto the field with a swagger and walked off it with a swagger. Last week was a tough pill to swallow after a poor performance, but I feel so proud after the way our team played tonight. 5-and-OH!!! :rockin:
Blitz
Team Captain

Our entire defensive line played a fantastic game tonight, great work gentlemen
Hunt had a very good game to join Johnson and Wake in elite company!
Also props to our QBs for going out of their way to look for him tonight. Finally, props to Geroy himself for making some outstanding plays. The catch he made on the TD was gorgeous!

Jarious made a beautiful throw to Simon and Simon made an outstanding catch with the free safety bearing down on him!
Korey Banks is a trooper, man. He gets knocked out on three separate occasions and came back on two of them. You could tell he was really hurting but still was able to make the play in the endzone and save us being scored upon
Korey Banks is one tough dude and the best cover guy in the CFL!

[/quote]
Jarious Jackson was very good. When the team needed him to play more than just mop up duty he stepped up and led this team to victory. That scramble where he avoided like 4 or 5 tackles was very Printersesque, loved seeing that from him. His downfield strike to Geroy was a laser
[/quote]

Jarious Jackson made some big plays. I had the same thought about his run..amazing!
Finally......JOE FREAKING SMITH!!! Hell yeah! What a dominating performance!
The guy runs so hard and is such a punishing runner. We also so what he can do in open space...his touchdown run was a thing of beauty..nice moves!

When you think that we were missing four regulars on defense within the game with Marsh and Floyd out and then Banks and Washington hurt..three starting defensive backs...we were still able to come through. We only lost one defensive back in 2005 and couldn't deal with it!

On offence we won with a third string quarterback and had two rookie recievers out there in Rodgers and Mock playing his first game.

The only player missing from your list I would add is Phillips..he played an incredible game!
THIS is how you're supposed to win a football game.
:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

The only player missing from your list I would add is Phillips..he played an incredible game!
See, I knew I was going to miss somebody! Phillips played his best ball after all the injuries happened. When we were down so many regulars on D, he was the guy who stepped up to calm things down for the rest of the fill-ins and overally did a great job the entire night.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote: missing a plethora
I agree. It is very difficult to win when you're missing your plethora! Ouch!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I hear you can get em cheap on EBay! :wink:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

3 big wins on the road so far this year! Cameron Wake & Brent Johnson were beasts last night :rockin: Another great game from Jarious Jackson and well done to Tad Crawford & Markieth Knowlton filling in late in the game due to injuries. Ryan Phillips, Geroy Simon & Cory Rodgers were great aswell. I was hoping to see a little more of Ian Smart though.
Lets Go Lions!