Stampeders respect Brent Johnson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Stampeders are blowing a lot of smoke at Brent Johnson this week. I would guess they have decided it is better to show respect than to rile the beast.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/new ... 8d9dad&p=1

Here are some highlights:

"Size. Speed. Strength. Power. Explosion off the ball. He's got everything you're looking for at the position,'' says Calgary Stampeders defensive co-ordinator Denny Creehan admiringly. "This is a great, great football player we're talking about.

"Maybe most important, what sets him apart, is an inner belief that he's never beaten. In his mind, he refuses to believe he's been blocked.

"A lot of defensive guys, when they're engaged by an O-lineman, they consider the play over. They relax. Not this guy. He keeps coming at you.''

"There's an engine inside him,'' warns veteran offensive tackle Jay McNeil, "that won't quit.''

"I practised against him for two years, when he was going maybe 50 to 75 per cent, and that was still better than 100 per cent for a lot of guys,'' marvels ex-Lion Bobby Singh. "He can dip past you. He has a great swim move. Can flat-out run by you and is strong enough to throw you aside.

"He's a handful.''

"He's a superstar in this league,'' says Singh bluntly. "Everybody knows he's a superstar and yet he still gets his sacks, still makes an impact, still comes up with the big play when they need it most. That's what being a great player is about.''

Yep. Gotta agree with what they say. It is one Buono's abilities to recognize talent, whether it is Canadian or American.

He has given opportunities to deserving athletes like B Johnson and Javy Glatt that other teams might not have given.

Brent Johnson was just a backup D Line before Buono gave him his chance. And not many Canadians got to play Defensive End at that time either. They were mostly slotted at Defensive Tackle or Nose Tackle.

He is one of the many strengths of this team. He also seems like a team player and a low maintenance athlete. Just wind him up and turn him loose.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nik Lewis and Jeremaine Copeland helped the Lions get the right mind-set for their run to the Grey Cup last year with their trash talk aimed at Geroy Simon and his Touchdown Pose.

"Trash talk inspired Lions to Grey Cup"

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Football/ ... 0-sun.html

"We were in Hamilton at the owner's house (David Braley) eating dinner, and it came on," explained Lion-turned-Stamp Thelwell yesterday, prior to this Saturday's tilt between the same two clubs at McMahon Stadium.

"At first, we all laughed --originally we thought it was kind of funny and not a big deal. But we had a few instigators on the team who started asking Geroy, 'Are you going to let them do that?' And it kind of went from there."

"That happening and then thumping them the way we did ... it did bond us and made us come together as a team," said Singh, convinced it kick-started the club's Grey Cup run. "I think it did because late in the season you need anything you can to motivate you because it's such a grind. When we had a good game and played hard in all three phases, we kind of used that as 'if anyone messes with any of us, that's what they're going to get.' It gave us that push we needed."

"I know no one is calling Geroy's moves gay this week," laughed Singh. "Personally, I don't think it's gay at all -- I think it's pretty cool -- my kids do it. I just hope he doesn't do any of those poses against us this week."

It seems Tom Higgins has the Stamps taking a smarter approach this year. Keep your mouths shut, or only say good things about the opponent.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Stamps will be starting a new left tackle this week due to an injury to Garrick Jones, so I'm sure they're even more concerned about Johnson than normal.

Henry Burris gave a long and excellent interview on the Rick Ball Show on Team1040 today, and he stressed how the Lions' front four usually wins the battle of the trenches against the Stamps' O-line. That's where the game will be won or lost. Whichever team controls the line of scrimmage and gets the most pressure on the quarterback is likely to control the game and force mistakes and turnovers. I like the Lions' chances.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There's a great quote from Tom Higgins in that Calgary Sun article:
"I can honestly say I'm proud of anything that we've been able to do this year. Sure, we've been embarrassed, but it wasn't because of us shooting our mouths off."
I can't imaging Wally talking about being proud and embarrassed at the same time.
David
Team Captain

Surprisingly, when you see Brent Johnson in the street, he's not particularly physically imposing. Don't get me wrong, he's big and solid, and I sure as hell wouldn't mess with him, just not as big as one would expect for someone who routinely rag-dolls O-linemen. I think he probably gives up 60-65lbs most nights.

I recently ran into him at an upscale Yaletown bar. Great guy. He recognized me as we shop at the same Safeway store and I sometimes bump into him and his girlfriend.

I congratulated him from across the bar on the great season. Over the loud house music I said, "what is it....4 sacks now?" He just smiled, modestly held up 5 fingers and mouthed the words "f-i-v-e." :rockin:

I see Brent staying a B.C. Lion for some time to come. He fits so well into the community - he's tailor-made for the West Coast.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Stamps will be starting a new left tackle this week due to an injury to Garrick Jones, so I'm sure they're even more concerned about Johnson than normal.

Henry Burris gave a long and excellent interview on the Rick Ball Show on Team1040 today, and he stressed how the Lions' front four usually wins the battle of the trenches against the Stamps' O-line. That's where the game will be won or lost. Whichever team controls the line of scrimmage and gets the most pressure on the quarterback is likely to control the game and force mistakes and turnovers. I like the Lions' chances.
New Left Tackle, eh?

Things just got a little closer to even.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

I would just like to point out that in my season on a hacked CFL ROM of Tecmo's Super Bowl, I had to bump Johnson's stats way up to make his character more realistic. Silly easterners.

And of course, he led the league in sacks. :)
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:The Stamps will be starting a new left tackle this week due to an injury to Garrick Jones, so I'm sure they're even more concerned about Johnson than normal.

New Left Tackle, eh?

Things just got a little closer to even.
Michael Petrie wrote:Starting LT Garrick Jones is very doubtful with an injury to his right wrist. He hurt it against Toronto and with Saturday's game just over 48 hours away, the injury is still extremely sensitive. The team hoped it would heal with a week of rest, but it hasn't happened. That means third-year Godfrey Ellis will start in Jones' place and Tyler Lynem will be added to the active roster as a backup. Since Ellis (and Lynem) is Canadian and Jones is an import, it frees up an extra import spot, which will be used to put SB Nik Lewis back in the lineup.
Third year guy whom I have never heard of, should be interesting matchup for BJ to take advantage of.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Godfrey Ellis started at center his first year in the CFL.......was given ample playing time to "grow" into the position, but by the end of the season the Stamps decided they needed to go in another direction. I believe he's been on/off the Reserve list and has primarily backed up since.

The idea of him starting at LT should have BJ and CW salivating.
Lloyd
David
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:The idea of him starting at LT should have BJ and CW salivating.
True. But this also frees up an import position. This will allow for another offensive weapon in Nik Lewis to return to the line-up. You know he'll be anxious to atone for the benching last week.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:The idea of him starting at LT should have BJ and CW salivating.
True. But this also frees up an import position. This will allow for another offensive weapon in Nik Lewis to return to the line-up. You know he'll be anxious to atone for the benching last week.

DH 8)
There is a reason for him sitting, he is the "One" targeted to get the rest of the teams attention, how he responds given this new life may determine on his Stampeder future. If he is thinking that way, he may be a dangerous presence on the Stamps O. One thing to also keep in mind, is how Burris views it, if he wants to help Lewis out of the dog house, he will throw to him alot, if he doesn't throw to him Lewis may be on Burris's finger pointing list. I guess pretty much everyone over the past couple of seasons has been on that list though (Burratto at the end of last season, Lewis this season and generally the entire O other than the guy with number "1" on his jersey), so I may be off on that call.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

So they should. He is just awesome. Cool story about bumping into him in Yaletown David. Is the Yaletown Brewery? When my Familly and I come to Vancouver we go there. I hope i see him when we come over next year!
Lets Go Lions!