Getting Ready For The Stampeders!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

This weeks game will be our first against the Stampeders this season and George Cortez's offence in Calgary. We will take our undefeated 4-0 team to Calgary to play a team that is just coming off a big win against Toronto.

Henry "It's Never My Fault" Burris is smiling again (because the reason they beat Toronto was due to him but their losses were someone else's fault) but hopefully we'll be able to wipe that smile off his face early!! This is an opportunity for us to show the wide eyed Tom Higgins, the opportunistic Jim Barker, the outspoken Dennis Creehan and the hot dog receivers of Rambo, Lewis, and Copeland that they are not ready to knock us off our perch! Lets have a closer look:

DEFENCE

I've been starting off Post-Game Thoughts this season with defense so I'll begin with our defense this week as well. A lot of attention has been focused on our offence this season, as it has struggled early in putting together sustained drives. Our defense has been the strength of our Leos for our last 18 games. However, they are coming off a sub-par performance against Hamilton and deserve further scrutiny. We had been the CFL's best team against the run this season and have played the run well for a long time but things broke down last week as Jesse Lumsden rolled through us for big yardage. Hamilton's running attack set up the pass and put us in more of a bind on defense than usual.

However, our defense should play better against Calgary and Cortez's version of the Hufnagel offence than the West Coast version of Taffe. We're designed for it on defense. However, we have to stop Calgary's running game and make Burris beat us with his arm (and not his legs either). Calgary had the second lowest offence, in terms of average yards per game, prior to playing Toronto.

Calgary has a strong receiving core in Copeland, Lewis, Rambo, Boerichter, and Thelwell. Reynolds is one of the best running backs in the league. The key to the game is getting pressure on Burris, not letting him get outside and buy time, and forcing him to make quick decisions. We stop Reynolds and force Burris to use his arm and Cortez's version of the Hufnagel offence is not going to rack up points against us.

However, to do that, we need big games from a few individuals on defense who need to step up! Aaron Hunt had a great rookie season but reported to camp heavy and hasn't looked like his old self. Hunt and Williams also need to get a better push inside than they have in the first four games! We'll also have to be in nickel and dime defenses a lot. That means we'll play two linebackers. Glatt is outstanding in pass defense and is a very good blitzer. However, even with his improvement against the run he's still not a natural middle linebacker and plays more like an outside backer. We saw the difference in trying to stop the run last week with Otis Floyd out. Pottinger struggled at times and our Leos would be wise to go with Jamal Johnson to fill Floyd's spot if he can't go. That will enable Johnson to use his speed to spy Burris on passing downs while Glatt plays pass defense.

Our defense is a ball hawking defense that shines with pressure up front. Mark Washington needs to get his blitzes down better when we send him at the quarterback in the nickel package. Glatt and Johnson can be keys to getting the occasional blitz on Burris and Johnson needs a big game. We gotta get hits and pressure on Burris, not allow him to escape to his right (Wake will need to play well) or run up the middle.Burris doesn't play well when frustrated and taking some punishment!

OFFENCE

We've analysed, dissected, criticized, and made many suggestions to get our offence untracked this season. Going into last week Toronto was leading the league with an average of 23 points per game and our Leos were second with just under 21 points per game. Scoring is down in the CFL so far this season, a trend that continues! Our Leos offence has been able to put points on the board after turnvovers but needs to put some drives together, have better time of possession, and start taking some pressure of our defense.

Buck Pearce starts and we should expect Calgary to bring a lot of people to get him out of the game early as he nurses sore ribs. They'll want to punish him! Hopefully six receiver sets will be rare in this game and only for a quick hitch play to Smart or a quick hot pass if we get Calgary in the wrong defense. Look for us to establish the run early to take some pressure off Pearce. We'll also need some quick throws early. Maximum protection and a deep throw or two early would also set Calgary back on their heels more on defense.

However, our offensive line also has to step up. It's becoming noticeable on Lionbackers that our quarterbacks haven't had time to go to third and fourth reads often this season and our quarterbacks have also had to escape and more often than usual. With teams jumping our intermediate game and playing us tighter, our offensive line needs to give our quarterbacks a split second longer to find open deep receivers. Buck needs to play calmer back there! He was more of a poised quarterback in the pocket earlier in his career with our Leos than he has been so far this season.

Jarious will need to be ready. Buck is only one good hit in the ribs away from being sidelined. Jarious looked his best this season against Hamilton..much calmer back there! We need to get Geroy some touches, look for Simmons more often, and involve Rodgers.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Ian Smart looked tentative against Hamilton. looking to pick his spots. Smart is at his best when he just takes off and looks to cut at full speed. Downfield coverage so far has been excellent and in a low-scoring CFL it becomes important that it continue. A big special teams play is even more critical this season in terms of victory or losses.

WRAP

Calgary's offence will be confident coming into this game after being frustrated for a couple of games. Toronto's offence, missing two starting receivers and going with it's third string quarterback didn't have a first down until the fourth quarter and Calgary's offence got a lot of chances. Still they moved the football against the best defense in the CFL in many areas. We don't want to allow that confidence to build against us! Getting off to a very good start is a key to this game!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:SPECIAL TEAMS

Ian Smart looked tentative against Hamilton. looking to pick his spots. Smart is at his best when he just takes off and looks to cut at full speed. Downfield coverage so far has been excellent and in a low-scoring CFL it becomes important that it continue. A big special teams play is even more critical this season in terms of victory or losses.
Ian will be just fine. It wasn't his best game against Hamilton, but Nick Setta's hang time is better than any punter in the CFL (with the possible exception of Calgary's Burke Dales who may be the league's best). The thing is, Setta was driving them really high but not very far which only gave Ian time to surge forward and not find a running lane.

Our return game with Ian Smart is the best it's been in years IMO. He's broken several and had some called back on marginal penalties. In our rush to judgement of the offence, I think we've all lost sight on how much our Special Teams (return game and kick coverage) has improved! :rockin:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Will this be the game we finally have an offensive explosion? I hope so. I think we will win anyway. Buck Pierce to start, Otis Floyd still doubtful, anounced on team 1040.
Lets Go Lions!
Blitz
Team Captain

Our return game with Ian Smart is the best it's been in years IMO. He's broken several and had some called back on marginal penalties. In our rush to judgement of the offence, I think we've all lost sight on how much our Special Teams (return game and kick coverage) has improved!
Very important point David and our special teams have probably been under the radar so far this season. Even with the new (old) blocking rules our downfield coverage has been great. I also forgot that Setta has great hang time but I'm definitely happy with Smart as our main return man!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:This week’s game will be our first against the Stampeders this season and George Cortez's offence in Calgary.
First of all things let me say what a great talent George Cortez is and that I still believe if "The Chap" hadn't played both ends against the middle, and fairly, George would have been working with our team and not Calgary's
Blitz wrote: Henry "It's Never My Fault" Burris is smiling again (because the reason they beat Toronto was due to him but their losses were someone else's fault) but hopefully we'll be able to wipe that smile off his face early!!
Hank has had ample opportunity to show that he belonged to a rare class of Qbs, that most aspiring pivots only dream about.
He has failed most miserably with the results of not one, but two Western Semi-Finals to showcase himself to the league and those who cannot be bothered with him outside of that.

Causing that of truly great football mind like Steve Buratto to move on instead of himself does not leave me with a favorable impression of this guys character.

Thanks, but no thanks Hank!
Blitz wrote: This is an opportunity for us to show the wide eyed Tom Higgins, the opportunistic Jim Barker, and the hot dog receivers of Rambo, Lewis, and Copeland that they are not ready to knock us off our perch!
There is something I have always like about Tom Higgins, maybe it was the way Hughie so unceremoniously punted him out of the "Evil Empire" as if his preeminence had been embraced by his selection of Higgins to begin with.

Are you over it yet Hughie?

Jim Barker is the biggest fraud in the CFL today. What,did he last one year as the coach of the Argonauts and one year as coach of the Stamps before landing the job of GM?

Who’s this guy pulling the strings of???

As for the loud mouthed trio of Rambo, Lewis and Copeland, if I had a nickel for every time these guy’s butts suck wind I’d be rich, retired and untouchable before they knew they had a chance of cracking the CFL!

Calgary who was predicted by many including Matt Dunigan to win the West will fight it out again this season with Saskatchewan in the Semi-Final so that once again Hank can show you what a dud he truly is.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Blitz wrote:SPECIAL TEAMS

Ian will be just fine. It wasn't his best game against Hamilton, but Nick Setta's hang time is better than any punter in the CFL (with the possible exception of Calgary's Burke Dales who may be the league's best). The thing is, Setta was driving them really high but not very far which only gave Ian time to surge forward and not find a running lane.

Our return game with Ian Smart is the best it's been in years IMO. He's broken several and had some called back on marginal penalties. In our rush to judgement of the offence, I think we've all lost sight on how much our Special Teams (return game and kick coverage) has improved! :rockin:

DH 8)
I think Benevides' system makes him do it!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Mike Benevedes is a very dedicated, passionate football coach. Wally believes he is Head Coaching material one day!
MacNews
Team Captain

David wrote:Our return game with Ian Smart is the best it's been in years IMO. He's broken several and had some called back on marginal penalties. In our rush to judgement of the offence, I think we've all lost sight on how much our Special Teams (return game and kick coverage) has improved! :rockin:

DH 8)
Agreed! I like Smart and Cory "One-Hand" Rodgers as our returners! It is so exciting to see them run up the field because you know they can return it all the way..or frequently at center field! :thup:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Mike Benevedes is a very dedicated, passionate football coach. Wally believes he is Head Coaching material one day!
I am not knocking him. Just saying that I think there is a tendency to stick straight up the middle due the system and the Lion's view assumedly that this is the way to get good returns. I know it looks better for the guy to head to the sidelines and make up his own script but I think that the Lions won't tolerate that as it leads to too many blocking penalties.

He is a keener, Benevides and no doubt he should be developing himself for an HC job one day.

As a HC, you need to be more like a WB than a keener with a good overview of players, coaches and game needs. I think Wally has a lot of success as he has that edge that the best coaches have. You go along fully with the program here or you are toast.. poof... gone. I think nice guys like Joe Paopao just don't quite that edge to their styles that players need to be aware of. Wally is more likely my way or the highway (not as far as a Vic Rapp type, but he does find a guy through whom to send a message (cuts each year) whereas Vic Rapp would rip ANY player in any situation. I think it was his first meeting just after being introduced to the local BC Lion players who were in town in the off season that this gem occurred. Rapp is talking to the players and in strolls Barry Houlihan (according to my pal who was there) and Houly starts hi-fiving and slapping hands as he enters. Rapp just glares at him and says something like 'I don't who the *bleep* or what the *bleep* you think you are doing but if your future includes the British Columbia Lions, sit down and shut ...up!' At TC he did another one to Wayne Smith, Canadian DE and all star who just came back from the All Star game before Vic cut him. He called him out in the food line at TC - time is erasing the incident though...lol but that sent a message that was unreal.

Back to Benevides and the system comment. I think percentage wise he is right to insist the players do it his way. No deviation from the script unless it is a broken play. It may not be as pretty for fans as we all like the spectacular runs but they do come in time.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Wally is more likely my way or the highway (not as far as a Vic Rapp type, but he does find a guy through whom to send a message (cuts each year) whereas Vic Rapp would rip ANY player in any situation. I think it was his first meeting just after being introduced to the local BC Lion players who were in town in the off season that this gem occurred. Rapp is talking to the players and in strolls Barry Houlihan (according to my pal who was there) and Houly starts hi-fiving and slapping hands as he enters. Rapp just glares at him and says something like 'I don't who the *bleep* or what the *bleep* you think you are doing but if your future includes the British Columbia Lions, sit down and shut ...up!'
I was working a Leos development camp once with Vic Rapp...the first one I ever did with him... and had just met him. We were working two a days and after the morning session we went to a restaurent for lunch. I was sitting beside Vince Tobin (Vic Rapp was at the other end) and the waitress asked if we wanted anything to drink. Tobin asked if wanted anything and when we hesitated he ordered a carafe of wine.The waitress came out with our meals and started to drop the carafe on the table and Vic Rapp stood up and yelled at the waitress "Take that back', pointing at the wine. We were all embarrassed!

I watched Vic Rapp once take a kick towards the ass of a huge rooke offensive lineman at a Leos training camp for going offside a couple times in a row and then blew up. He deliberately missed but he could be a hothead! Of course I pulled for Vic Rapp to beat up Huey Cambell when he tried to get at him that one time..Rapp would have won too even though he was vertically challenged! :wink: It's important to remember that he also took over a very undisciplineed team and created a very dedicated team...just couldn't beat Edmonton. When Mathews took over from Vic Rapp he inherited most of Rapp's players!

One thing I'll say about Vic Rapp...no coach could teach and coach the running game like he could! He was outstanding at it!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Jim Barker is the biggest fraud in the CFL today. What,did he last one year as the coach of the Argonauts and one year as coach of the Stamps before landing the job of GM?
Isn't he also the world's only overweight vegetarian?
Last edited by cromartie on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blitz
Team Captain

Now cro..that's discriminationa against the people who are 'skinny challenged"! Besides he eats honkin' big carrots and cauliflowers the size of a truck!! :wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I worked with John Blain who played for Vic Rapp. He said it wasn't just the players who were afraid of Rapp. And remember John Blain was 6'6" tall and 300 pounds.

He said the coaches were also scared to death of him.

I liked Rapp. He always had the Lions sky high for the first part of the season. But his approach burned them out. They tended to fade at the end of the season.

After he got fired, I had occasion to tell him what a great job he had done. He was most appreciative and gracious. It was nice to see how much he enjoyed the big homecoming Ackles had for old Lions a couple of years ago. Rapp is Aces in my book.
Blitz
Team Captain

After he got fired, I had occasion to tell him what a great job he had done. He was most appreciative and gracious. It was nice to see how much he enjoyed the big homecoming Ackles had for old Lions a couple of years ago. Rapp is Aces in my book.
Sometimes his football personality has overshadowed what a very good coach he was! He also had to clean house, when he inherited a wild, partying group of Leos who were underachieving! On the football field the fire in his belly burned deep! Away from the football field Vic Rapp was a quiet, courteous man.

John Blain is now a principal on Vancouver Island.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Now cro..that's discriminationa against the people who are 'skinny challenged"! Besides he eats honkin' big carrots and cauliflowers the size of a truck!! :wink:
I've never been accused of being svelt. But then again, I eat dead, pre-processed animals and overall unhealthy crap while not getting enough exercise.

But seriously, how does a vegeterian get that overweight?