When you hear Lions football.(Team1040)..Make no mistake...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

You are listening to a commercial!!!

It is frustrating that the Lions get lost in the micro-analyization of hockey signings and salary cap discussions. This is exactly what I think when I hear 1040 run that commercial between hockey talk.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I tuned in for about 20 seconds today. As soon as I cottoned on that they were discussing NHL free agents (ZZZZZZZZZZ) I bailed. Over to Blue Collar Comedy on Sirius!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Toppy, that is EXACTLY what I say every time I hear that ad, because it either comes right before or right after the hockey frenzy du jour. Yes the Team does the odd Lions interview. Yes they do the PBP on game day, but that's not enough! If they gave the Lions even a quarter of the time they gave hockey, I'd be happy. Who REALLY cares about the potential 3rd line combinations of the Tampa Bay Lightning after the 'Free Agent Frenzy' :roll: I think the Team bit off more than they could chew when they adopted both the Lions and the Canucks. :sigh:
Real women wear orange!!
Ravi
Legend

CatsEyes wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Toppy, that is EXACTLY what I say every time I hear that ad, because it either comes right before or right after the hockey frenzy du jour. Yes the Team does the odd Lions interview. Yes they do the PBP on game day, but that's not enough! If they gave the Lions even a quarter of the time they gave hockey, I'd be happy. Who REALLY cares about the potential 3rd line combinations of the Tampa Bay Lightning after the 'Free Agent Frenzy' :roll: I think the Team bit off more than they could chew when they adopted both the Lions and the Canucks. :sigh:
Exactly! I find it hard to believe that that many people really do care about the Lightning, Thrashers, Predators, Blue Jackets, Blues, etc. The sports media in this country should really give themselves a kick in the you know where over their over the top NHL coverage at the expense of other leagues such as the CFL.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:

Exactly! I find it hard to believe that that many people really do care about the Lightning, Thrashers, Predators, Blue Jackets, Blues, etc. The sports media in this country should really give themselves a kick in the you know where over their over the top NHL coverage at the expense of other leagues such as the CFL.
Rick Ball himself even addressed this point today, asking rhetorically (paraphrase): "When did we (i.e., the sports media in this country) start having more hockey coverage in the offseason than in the regular season and playoffs? It's getting to the point where we'll soon all be going on vacation during Stanley Cup Finals to rest up in preparation for the busy offseason coverage."

Makes me wonder how this compares to some US cities. Do they mostly have one particular sport/team that dominates coverage year round (e.g., NBA > MLB/NFL, or other possible permutations), or do they generally focus mostly on the sport(s) that is/are currently in season?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

Well it isn't the NHL that any USA city is discussing on the radio.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Well it isn't the NHL that any USA city is discussing on the radio.
I think the Red Wings get plenty of airtime in Detroit. I would also offer that the Sabres are front and center in Buffalo.

I'll edit this post at some point in the next couple of days to talk about how it works in other U.S. cities.

For now, I'm off to watch my in-laws shoot fireworks at each other.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Well it isn't the NHL that any USA city is discussing on the radio.
Yeah, I know, which is why I omitted it in the hierarchy of my previous post :lol:

I forget who made this point today on the TEAM about the lack of NHL attention in the US, but it was a good one -- the teams in four of the largest US markets (Rangers, Bruins, Kings and Black Hawks) have all sucked mightily for about the last decade or so. In the 12 playoff campaigns since the first lockout ended in 1995, these teams have combined for only ten series wins, and have collectively missed the playoffs 28 times!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
I think the Red Wings get plenty of airtime in Detroit. I would also offer that the Sabres are front and center in Buffalo.
And, not coincidentally -- to follow the theme of my last post -- those teams have been relatively successful in the same timeframe I mentioned above. The Red Wings have not missed the playoffs, racking up 22 series wins and three cups (not to mention many solid regular seasons). Buffalo, who weathered some serious financial problems, has success to a lesser extent (mitigated by less competition for the sports dollar), with 11 series wins, 1 trip to the final in 1999 and trips both of the last two conf finals.

But at the same time, how much media attention do these teams get at this time of year compared to in Canada?
David
Team Captain

I have to tell you, I actually find it refreshing to travel to the USA now - just to escape the 24/7 hockey coverage in the Canadian media. I just recently returned from 8 days in Florida. Nirvana.

Having lived in NY for 7 years, I would estimate that WFAN's (sports radio) coverage throughout the year as an aggregate:

50% Yankees and Mets + MLB
30% Giants and Jets + NFL
15% Knicks + NBA
5% Rangers + NHL (and this number might be charitable)

The influential "Mike and Mad Dog" team talk about hockey less than Dan Russell talks Lions, if that's possible.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I don't think even the average NHL fan wants this much offseason hockey discussion. I keep thinking about TSN's "Free Agent Frenzy" day on Sunday, where they basically stood around saying "Any minute now!"

It isn't the fans driving this overexposure, it's the media themselves. Since there seems to be no independent thought about covering some sports that actually are in season, they all cover the NHL's fabulous offseason at the expense of everything else.

I also agree that team1040 can't handle both Lions and Canucks, and hope that Ackles goes shopping when the contract term is up. That way, team1040 can be without the thorn in their side that is CFL broadcasts. I find I'm listening to 'NW more and more for their sports anyway, and to Dhaliwal and Mullin in particular.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Wow, I cannot believe people actually STILL whine about this. I drive from Maple Ridge to Burnaby. This morning the TEAM was at the Breakfast with the Lions thing at the old Empire site, talking about the game on Friday. They had Passaglia on, and were just about to have Rob Murphy on when I got out of the car.

Thorn in their side? They have two hour pregames, decent length post games, and good Lions coverage throughout the week.

It's like you people expect all football all the time. It's SPORTS radio.

Keep up the good work TEAM 1040. Maybe these people would prefer we go back to the NW days, when the broadcasts were TRULY a thorn in the stations side.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I'm tellin' ya...we need an ALL - HOCKEY station in Vancouver. We in essence have that now anyway.

Times are a changin', HOCKEY is no longer our National pastime ( I know lacrosse realy is ) instead, TALKING ABOUT HOCKEY has become our National pastime !!!!!! :bang: :bang:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Ravi wrote:

Rick Ball himself even addressed this point today, asking rhetorically (paraphrase): "When did we (i.e., the sports media in this country) start having more hockey coverage in the offseason than in the regular season and playoffs? It's getting to the point where we'll soon all be going on vacation during Stanley Cup Finals to rest up in preparation for the busy offseason coverage."

Makes me wonder how this compares to some US cities. Do they mostly have one particular sport/team that dominates coverage year round (e.g., NBA > MLB/NFL, or other possible permutations), or do they generally focus mostly on the sport(s) that is/are currently in season?

A lot of this off season talk on hockey is driven by the fans of course. I grant you that. The other part it seems is driven by the new CBA and their salary cap where fans and broadcasters can play GM all day and talk about fantasy moves of players while doing the math on the salaries.

It is completely bizarre that fans would be focused on players salaries. It drives people like my wife nuts when she hears some fan saying sign Joe Schlub - he's cheap at $750,000.

OS99 makes a good point about whining and the days of NW. I do recall the days when football was the talk of the town and hockey a distant second so I know football can be bigger.

Yesterday, Dave Pratt repeated the Rick Ball interview of Jason Jimenez and then immediately went back to hockey.

The Jimenez interview was brilliant and interesting. Jimenez is a well-spoken guy and very insightful and he along with Rob Murphy can discuss in a balanced way other players in the league. Get these guys some air time!!!

If they talk more about football, then they can get away from this constant hockey chatter.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Good point Toppy.

What are the hosts oif the shoes supposed to do when someone calls up and asks about the NHL....say "Nevermind that, how about those Lions"? :roll:
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.