Which Receiver Is It Going To Be?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos will likely start the season with three import receivers starting on our offence with Simon, Simmons, and Jones joining non-imports Jason Clermont and Paris Jackson.

However, we know our Leos are going to keep an import reciever and a Canadian reciever for depth, outside of the developmental roster. The question is who will those two receivers be?

At the import reciever spot the competition is between Hassell, Flanigan, Holiday, Vann, Rogers, Johnson, Mock, and Love.

At the Canadian receiver spot the competition is between Boden, Lindstrom, and Nicholson.

It's early of course, but at the import spot I'm leaning towards either Vann or Mock. At the non-import receiver spot I'm betting on Boden!

Your early thoughts?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
hutch
Champion

Was it Boden that looked really good last season? Not that he played much but he is the really young kid right?
Blitz
Team Captain

Was it Boden that looked really good last season? Not that he played much but he is the really young kid right?
Boden had a good camp last year hutch and scored a touchdown in the exhibition season. Then he was placed on the developmental roster. He's still young but has a great shot here!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
At the import reciever spot the competition is between Hassell, Flanigan, Holiday, Vann, Rogers, Johnson, Mock, and Love.

Your early thoughts?
Well I have no idea but in an interview today Washington said that Love was the standout.
Last edited by Lionheart on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Way too early to be filling out the roster Blitz. I want to see them under live fire before making an assessment. Some people look real good in practice and perform badly when the pressure is on.
maddeep73
Champion

I like Boden to make the team and contribute on special teams. Wally has asked him to be a contributor before he is a star. So I expect he'll get his shot on the hands team, return unit and maybe covering kicks.

After that, I'm of the mind that it's a crap shoot based on preseason performance mostly. Who knows? It is one position that I enjoy 'isocaming' in the preseason because someone almost always emerges.
Keepin' it real
Rammer
Team Captain

Remember that Bret Anderson will be coming out of retirement fairly soon as well, or are you including that foregone addition to our roster.

Boden can still be placed on the DR, so that makes the decision of a cut out, unless Boden is head and shoulders above Lindstrom and Nicholson, and Nicholson is going to be difficult to let go of as well. Lindstrom had better have a good TC, as he is in tough.

Way too many I receivers to sift through just yet, I will wait until after the preseason game to send in a guess.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz, so you are liking my cousin LeDaris Vann to make the squad?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Blitz, so you are liking my cousin LeDaris Vann to make the squad?
I think he has a shot as does Mock even though he isn't big. Love also may have a shot.

I realize it's early and too early to call...just early speculation but it adds a little fun. Of course, the rest of training camp and the exhibition season will sort it out. However, I wouldn't put too much stock in exhibition games. We've seen some excellent performances in exhibition games and still see those players be cut. Training camp practices determine decisions more often than those games even though they do provide additional information.
Blitz
Team Captain

O'Billovich said yesterday that this is the best set of first year receivers he's ever seen at a training camp!
Well I have no idea but in an interview today Washington said that Love was the standout.
Defensive backs have to cover them so the input is valuable! The Leos only have Love on the depth chart but not on their roster.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: The Leos only have Love on the depth chart but not on their roster.
So this means when one looks at the roster one could legitimately ask "Where is the love"? :love:

Thank you. I'll be appearing all week.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:O'Billovich said yesterday that this is the best set of first year receivers he's ever seen at a training camp!
Defensive backs have to cover them so the input is valuable! The Leos only have Love on the depth chart but not on their roster.
It does sound like a talented group. I am intrigued by Rodgers given he is only a year removed from being a pretty high NFL draft pick.

Things have changed considerably since February when Thelwell signed with the Stamps. Back then it looked like Colon and Boden would battle for the NI receiver spot. Now Colon has since retired and Boden still doesn't have a contract yet. Wally is going about his development slower than I initially thought.

Starting another import receiver puts us at the minimum for the mandatory 7 starting Canadians — Clermont, Jackson, Bates, Reid, Sherko, Johnson and Glatt. Unofficially it's 8 with Foley ahead of Wake on the depth chart but I take it Wally has the luxury to flip the two if he desires. I don't even include Green given how often the Lions go with 5-receiver sets.

By all accounts... Lindstrom has had a solid camp.

Update... Lowell Ullrich reports in today's paper it's sink or swim for Boden who will either be signed or released if he does not make the active roster.

He also reports in his 5th quarter blog of Rodgers looking very good as a receiver/kick returner.

Definitely some interesting decisions ahead!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote: Definitely some interesting decisions ahead!
Do you get the feeling the Lions will be even better this year? Barring major injuries we'll have Simmons (sweet!) Clermont is in a option year so a bit of a "Bertuzzi" effect may happen there.. the newcomers sound deadly for first timers. :thup:
midwestlion
Starter

Has Kendrick Jones look good at returning? I heard he has got some looks.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

midwestlion wrote:Has Kendrick Jones look good at returning? I heard he has got some looks.
Cant tell until Friday. Its not full speed, full contact at all.
I have my head up my butt - 120db